holster added a sermon entry in Holster's SermonsRevelation Study No 1 and 2, IntroductionIntroduction to the Book of Revelation
Podcasts and other media formats here
Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. Rev. 1:3
- 0 comments
holster added a sermon entry in Holster's SermonsAccepted, Rejected -Palm Sunday Sermon (Text Outline)Accepted, Rejected
G. Schneck Mar 28, 2010 - Montelores
- John 12:12-13,18,19 - Isaiah 53:1-6
1. Read John 12:12-13, 18-19
2. It is one week before Easter… what some call Palm Sunday.
3. It is a Friday… The weekend is here!
4. It appears to be a wonderful day because Christ is….
I - Accepted
A. People Prepare for Him!
1. Read 12:12-13
2. Much People! - "that were come to the feast" (12a)
a. People had come to OBserve a ceremony….
b. There are many peoples today in ceremonies! But it is nothing more…
c. Imagine! They come to celebrate Passover and they find that Jesus is walking among them!
3. They Prepare to Honor Him!
a. "when they heard that Jesus was coming" (12b)
b. "They took branches of palm trees.." (13a)
c. Palm branches = honor
- a National Symbol - "ie" waving of our flag
B. Went Forth to Meet Him!
1. They acted! They moved! They did not wait.
2. They cried "Hosanna" (6 times in NT- all this event).
a. "Give Salvation Now" - "Give Victory Now"
3. "Blessed is the King!". (13b)
C. Christ the Humble One!
1. Read verse 14-15
2. He rode in on a small donkey.
Zech 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
2. In Humbleness he offers himself to the nation.
3. A King of Peace! Contrast this to the Nazi's, Korea, China..
D. The World Follows…
1. They ran out and met Him because they had seen/heard about a miracle! (17-18)
a. The rasing of Lazarus from the dead
2. And the Word follows (verse 19)
a. Do something spectacular and the world follows!
3. The Word wants a leader… People want to be lead…
4. But will their Faithfulness last?
II - Rejected
A. Indirect Reject
1. Luke 23:18 "Away with this man… Release unto us Barabbas"
a. He is now simply "this man".. They now want Barabbas
b. The world saw him bring the dead to life…
now they prefer a rOBber and murderer
B. Direct Rejection
1. Luke 23:20,21 "Crucify him, crucify him"
2. This Palm Sunday there will be pleas all around the world for individuals to accept Jesus.. the Saviour. . yet …
3. He will be rejected This Day! Many hearts will "Crucify Him!"
C. The Cause of the Rejection - (turn to Isaiah 53)
1. The Fact - Isaiah 53:3 "He is despised and rejected OF MEN"
a. "A Man of Sorrows" (vs. 3) because he "carried our sorrows" (vs 4)
b. We hid our faces…
c. He was despised
d. We esteemed [think of him] him not.
2. Yet.. the Rejected One does not reject us! (4,5)
a. Even though He: "hath born our griefs" verse 4
b. and he "carried our sorrows"
c. And Even more He "was wounded for our transgressions" (5)
d. and "bruised for our iniquities"
3. He took all this for you and for me…
1Jo 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
4. The Hard Truth - Why He was Rejected.. (6)
a. "All we like sheep have gone astray"
b. The prOBlem is SELF.
Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
c. James and John - came Mark 10:35
"Grant thay we may sit… one on right, one on left"
Mr 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.
Illustation: I've seen people come in for a year, a month, as short as a week… Buy all appearances they love Him… They appear to want to follow Him…
They cry our "Hosanna in the hightest"
But a year… a month… a week later… they are gone….
You go know on their door… They act like they don't even know you..
They once accepted… now they Reject!
- 0 comments
holster added a sermon entry in Holster's SermonsRiver of Death, River of Life - Ex 1:22, Rev 22:1Video and Audio available on DVD and YouTube
also see www.monteloresbaptist.com for (possibly) this and other sermons
River of Death, River of Life
G. Schneck Mar 21, 2010 - Montelores Baptist Chruch, Lewis, CO
- Exodus 1:22, -Rev. 22:1-7
1. Read Rev. 22:1
2. The scene: Heaven… we've been told about
- A New Heaven… - A new Earth
3. We now learn of a a PURE RIVER OF WATER OF LIFE…
4. BUT.. Before we look at this river… Let's look at a:
I - A River of Death
A. A Prideful Situation
1. Read Exodus 1:22
- Israel had gone down into Egypt
- Joseph had fell in favor with Pharaoh and became great
- But we read in 1:6 - Joseph died, and all that generation….
- and "there arose up a new king… which know not Joseph."
- This new Pharaoh was afraid the Israelites would become powerful
- Made their life hard… "in all manner of service"
- Told the midwives to kill the baby if it were a son. They failed to do so!
B. The Instigator, a Prince
a. The very one over Egypt. He had it all, but he was jealous.
b. He is the guilty one in the Prideful Situation
c. It was Pride that causes Lucifer to sin and….
2. Pharaoh is a type of Satan.
a. He was prince and god of Egypt… Egypt being a type of the world.
b. Satan is the prince and god of this world.
- we are delivered out of worldly bondage
3. The instigator is none other that Satan himself.
C. A Charge Given -
1. Pharaoh used by Satan to "charge his people"
a. As the God of this age, Satan is giving the orders.
2Cor 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
D. The River of Death -
1. The command is "Every son that is born ye shall cast into the river."
2. Here we discover the River of Death.
a. The Nile… Used of Satan in an attempt to destroy the Hebrews.
b. Satan's desire was to destroy the Line of Christ.
c. As Pharoah wanted to destroy the sons…
- Satan wants to destroy THE son of God
- and those who would become adopted sons.
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
E. Illustration - The River of Death
When I was a small boy growing up in southern Indiana we often found ourselves playing around the river that ran close to our home. One evening I received a phone call from a classmate. "Is it true?" he asked. "Did Mike drown in the river? You're his best friend... Have your heard?"
"What are you talking about?" I asked in a panic, what's happening? The caller explained: "We've heard that something awful happened and he drowned."
Sadly, the story was true. We learned that, on a perfectly beautiful day, Mike was out practicing for cross country, got hot, and tried to swim the river to cool off. His body cramped up in the cold and turbulent water, and though a strong young man, he couldn't win the fight against the dirty river. My best friend had drowned and was dead.
Satan had used the "attractiveness" of the river, to tempt this young boy into it's grasp! It looked pleasant.. cool, refreshing, fun. But it brought death!
My best friend… Dead! 15 years old..
Satan has and used many tools to deceive!
F. Has Satan Deceived you?
1. Are you in the river? Do things seem cool, refreshing, fun?
a. My best friend had fun for a while (above illustration)
- then the struggle began!
b. As the Hebrew babies were thrown into the river image the cries, the wailing, the struggle…..
But Praise God… there is another type of river!
II. - A River of Life
- The Setting
a. The Tribulaton over, His 1000 reign is over.
b. All battles done, Satan and Hell have been cast into the Lake of Fire.
c. God has shown John a New Heavens and New earth
d. We are moving into "the eternal state"… Paradise.!
e. We are looking at the "eternal city" (21:10,11 & 22-26)
A. The Uniqueness of this River
- Read 22:1
1. A PURE River
a. Promised - Rev 21:6
b. Pure: This river is not dirty as was the "river of death" (Nile)
- Describe the river that my friend drowned in- stumps, snags, etc)
c. Satisfies: This river and it's pure nature satisfies…
The following Psalm seems to speak of this river.
Psalm 36:7-9 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures. For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.
2. "River of Water of Life" (22:1)
a. This water is SPECIAL! It' not the water from your tap!
b. Life is in this water! The Fullness of Heaven!
John 4:14* But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
3. A River "Clear as Crystal!" (22:1)
a. Not only is the river pure.. it CLEAR !
b. I am reminded that when I stand and gaze at that river my God will see me as pure.. and clear… perfect & free from sin!
B. The Source of this River
1. "Out of the Throne of God and of the Lamb" (22:1)
a. Life comes from God and Life is given by God's Grace!
b. He gives physical life… He gives Spritual life!
2. It was in constant supply…
a. The New City will last for eternity - So will it's walls, in street of Gold
b. Here is a river that will last forever…
C. The Comfort of this River
1. Looking forward to this city and the river can be a comfort to us!
Isa 43; 2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Shall we Gather at the River - (often mistakenly sang at Baptisms)
Shall we gather at the river,_Where bright angel feet have trod,_With its crystal tide forever_Flowing by the throne of God?
Yes, we'll gather at the river,_The beautiful, the beautiful river,_Gather with the saints at the river_That flows by the throne of God.
On the bosom of the river,_Where the Savior-King we own,_We shall meet and sorrow never_'Neath the glory of the throne.
When we reach the shining river,_Lay we every burden down;_Grace our spirits will deliver_And provide a rOBe and crown.
Soon we'll reach the shining river,_Soon our pilgrimage will cease;_Soon our happy hearts will quiver_With the melody of peace.
III. - Challenge
A. We've seen two rivers….
1. A River of Death…. A River of Life
2. Though I lost I good friend when I was 15 I have comfort in that I have reason to believe he was saved. He may have gone through the turbulent waters of death, but he had previously found eternal life. He and I will, one day, stand by the Pure River of Water of Life together!
3. How about YOU!
- 0 comments