Toys of Sin

35 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Local sports have been more and more drawing folks away from church. Before the schools consolidated it was understood that Sunday was a "no activity day". At one time even Wednesday nights was a "no activity day". However, after the schools consolidated Wednesday nights soon became just another night for practice and other activities. Sadly, virtually all "church folk" went right along with this, taking their children to and from practice, missing all Wednesday church services, activities and events.

After such an easy win for the consolidated school board it wasn't long before they began scheduling practice, games, award banquets and graduations on Sunday. While a tiny number of parents raised some question about this (the rest simply went along just as they had with Wednesday nights) they were quick to fold out of fear of their children having to miss out on those things. Once again the school board had turned many families away from church in pursuit of temporary, worldly activities.

Our pastor attended some school board meetings when this first came up, attempting to at the very least keep Sunday as a day of no school activities. He also wrote letters to the editor which were printed and spoke out from the pulpit of the fact that if all the church families refused to go along with school activities on Sundays the school would be forced to halt them due to lack of attendance. Our pastor tried to rally some other pastors together to take a stand against school activities on Sundays but not a single other pastor would step up.

How sad to see all these "good church families" put school sports and other activities before God.

The salt has lost its savor!

Posted · Report post

Local sports have been more and more drawing folks away from church. Before the schools consolidated it was understood that Sunday was a "no activity day". At one time even Wednesday nights was a "no activity day". However, after the schools consolidated Wednesday nights soon became just another night for practice and other activities. Sadly, virtually all "church folk" went right along with this, taking their children to and from practice, missing all Wednesday church services, activities and events.

After such an easy win for the consolidated school board it wasn't long before they began scheduling practice, games, award banquets and graduations on Sunday. While a tiny number of parents raised some question about this (the rest simply went along just as they had with Wednesday nights) they were quick to fold out of fear of their children having to miss out on those things. Once again the school board had turned many families away from church in pursuit of temporary, worldly activities.

Our pastor attended some school board meetings when this first came up, attempting to at the very least keep Sunday as a day of no school activities. He also wrote letters to the editor which were printed and spoke out from the pulpit of the fact that if all the church families refused to go along with school activities on Sundays the school would be forced to halt them due to lack of attendance. Our pastor tried to rally some other pastors together to take a stand against school activities on Sundays but not a single other pastor would step up.

How sad to see all these "good church families" put school sports and other activities before God.

Our school has been standing as it is for more than 50 years, so it has nothing to do with consolidating. It has everything to do with the leaders of said school, the superintendent  & school board members that lets this happen. Many of ours calls them self Christian.

Our local school thinks nothing to have things on Wednesday nights nor Sunday afternoons, evenings. Probably it will not be far in the future Sunday morning will be put to use by the public schools. Some may already be doing so.

And its amazing how many times you will see our school buses returning from out of town on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday night quite late, quite late is past 10:00 PM, & a few times even after midnight when the next day is a regular school day.

The truth is we Christians that walks closely to our Lord in obedience has many enemies, that is they will treat us just as they did Jesus some 2,000 years ago.

Posted · Report post

Our school has been standing as it is for more than 50 years, so it has nothing to do with consolidating. It has everything to do with the leaders of said school, the superintendent  & school board members that lets this happen. Many of ours calls them self Christian.

Our local school thinks nothing to have things on Wednesday nights nor Sunday afternoons, evenings. Probably it will not be far in the future Sunday morning will be put to use by the public schools. Some may already be doing so.

And its amazing how many times you will see our school buses returning from out of town on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday night quite late, quite late is past 10:00 PM, & a few times even after midnight when the next day is a regular school day.

The truth is we Christians that walks closely to our Lord in obedience has many enemies, that is they will treat us just as they did Jesus some 2,000 years ago.

Yes, it has to do with the convictions of those on the school board. When we had our local school, the school board was made up of Christians, most of whom were real. Even when some other area schools started doing things that conflicted with church, they refused. In our case, it wasn't until our school finally consolidated with some other schools and the new school board, made up of many outside our community, was filled with those who cared more about sports than God, that's when Wednesday night and Sunday became just another day for sports and other school activities.

So now we have practices, banquets, award ceremonies, graduations and other school activities on Sundays. Wednesday nights almost always have a practice, game or event going on.

It's sad to see parents teaching their children that sports and other things are more important than faithfulness to God. These children will grow up seeing that church attendance is important only so long as something "more important" isn't going on.

All this really makes me appreciate those few folks who do take stands on the importance of honouring God with attending church. We have a couple of old farmers in our church who make sure they attend every service, no matter if it's planting season or harvest and no matter what the weather has been, is or is forcast to be. They attend church and trust God with their crops. Meanwhile most other farmers say they "have to" be in the field.

Posted · Report post

Whilst I do not disagree with what you are saying, I would like to point out that this sort of bad situation can be used to glorify God.
My oldest son works at a fast food place, and he was asked to work Sundays. He eventually agreed, but only around church. This was his choice alone - they continually pushed for him to compromise, but he would not. The word for this is testimony.
My second son plays rugby union - they practice Monday nights and Wednesday nights - Wednesday night he leaves early so he can get to service. They have a game this Sunday which we can easily make and return in plenty of time between our services.
But the club knows that he is not available when services are on.
The word for that is testimony.

Yes, it is a shame that situations like these are happily accepted by many, and we should strive to change it back - but there is yet room for testimony. ;)

Posted · Report post

Whilst I do not disagree with what you are saying, I would like to point out that this sort of bad situation can be used to glorify God.
My oldest son works at a fast food place, and he was asked to work Sundays. He eventually agreed, but only around church. This was his choice alone - they continually pushed for him to compromise, but he would not. The word for this is testimony.
My second son plays rugby union - they practice Monday nights and Wednesday nights - Wednesday night he leaves early so he can get to service. They have a game this Sunday which we can easily make and return in plenty of time between our services.
But the club knows that he is not available when services are on.
The word for that is testimony.

Yes, it is a shame that situations like these are happily accepted by many, and we should strive to change it back - but there is yet room for testimony. ;)

Absolutely, if Christians were to stand their ground for the Lord this would give great opportunity for a good testimony. Unfortunately, that's not what's happening. Our pastor was correct that if all the Christian families, or even several of them, were to refuse to cave in on this the school would change their schedules. Instead, Christians change their schedules to leave out God in favor of school activities.

Praise God for those who do take a stand for Christ and refuse to compromise away their faith in favor of worldly acceptance!

Posted · Report post

I know a man that is a preacher, a Baptist preacher, an Independent Baptist preacher, an even an Independent Fundamental Baptist preacher, his youngest daughter, the only day the fast food place will let her work is on Sunday, & she does, & father & mother thinks its OK, this is her senior year of high school.

Posted · Report post

I know a man that is a preacher, a Baptist preacher, an Independent Baptist preacher, an even an Independent Fundamental Baptist preacher, his youngest daughter, the only day the fast food place will let her work is on Sunday, & she does, & father & mother thinks its OK, this is her senior year of high school.

When the shepherd of the flock does such things, his flock will see the example and follow. Most in a congregation will more quickly follow the wrong examples than they will right.

Posted (edited) · Report post

When the shepherd of the flock does such things, his flock will see the example and follow. Most in a congregation will more quickly follow the wrong examples than they will right.

I don't know how true it is, but I have been told that if you apply for a job, and specify "no Sundays" and they hire you under that agreement, that they cannot force you to work Sunday.

My daughters worked at fast food for a time, and we went by OUR rules, and not theirs.  They even allowed my middle daughter to wear a skirt, when the manager said that the uniform was "pants"?  Job's, at that level, are not that hard to find around here, so they could afford to quit rather than compromise. (Besides, they still lived at home and were under my care!)

Edited by irishman

Posted · Report post

Many years ago, my first job out of school was in a brick factory.
At one stage they went to 7days a week shifts, because the demand was huge and we already worked 24 hours a day over three shifts. The only way to increase was 7 days.
The.super said I had to - I told him I wouldn't - he said he would sack me - I told him he would have to sack me then.
He took me to the production boss, where the whole thing was repeated.
He took me to the number 3 in the company.
This guy asked why I couldn't work Sunday, and I again told them the reason was that I had church.
He asked if there was any chance of me working before church started - I said I guess so - as long as I could leave with enough time to get home, get cleaned up, and get to church.
So we agreed that I would work 4 hours and be allowed to go in time to make church.

The.other two guys eventually picked their jaws up off the floor and retreated back into their box.
They were really looking forward to seeing me get sacked.......

I think the Lord was honoured - I was able to stand up for Him, and help out the company.

Posted · Report post

So true, & in doing so they will usually be murmuring behind the back about the right example.

A woman I know, suppose to be a fine Christians woman, that many look up to, is a gossip artist that seems very good at starting rumors.

A church she used to attend, be a member of, has since shut its doors, she has been wondering aloud to friends, reckon what the leader of that church will do with the funds that's left over, will he consume them are use them properly. It seems she is a murmuring person behind the scenes of churches & church friends to her friends that do not attend church whom she gossips with on the telephone daily from her home. If anyone talks to her about something like this, them they will be in the gossip columns that she sends out over her telephone lines to her none attending church friends daily.

Sad, there's many like her in this world, that thinks they're very Christ like, but they do much damage to churches & those that are working for Christ. Perhaps doing more damage to them, than good they can do. Actually tearing down much of the good they do, & making it where some people probably cannot be reached.