Should children take communion?

82 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When I read the story of when Jesus instituted the Lord's Supper, it was with the disciples, and even then, only after Judas had left. It is my opinion that a Closed Communion resembles this the closest. But, since there is no specific reference as to HOW to administer communion, other than the fact that we are commanded to observe it, I would think this would fall under liberty. In the end, we are all accountable for our actions, and if we partake of the Lord's Supper in an inproper manner, we will answer for it.

I wouldn't compare a saved man visiting another local church to Judas Iscariot in the Upper Room. Just my opinion. If we are part of the body of Christ ("the Lord's body" as Paul mentions in the passage) then you can take communion no matter what church we are in. The local church is not "the Lord's body". It a gathering of people who may be part of the body of Christ.

Posted · Report post

I wouldn't compare a saved man visiting another local church to Judas Iscariot in the Upper Room. Just my opinion. If we are part of the body of Christ ("the Lord's body" as Paul mentions in the passage) then you can take communion no matter what church we are in. The local church is not "the Lord's body". It a gathering of people who may be part of the body of Christ.

It was not my intention to compare a saved man visiting another local church to Judas. I agree, in part, with the rest of your post. The Pastor of that local church is responsible for that particular "flock", and thus the responsibility falls on him ultimately if he allows un-vetted, and unsaved, individuals partake of communion. That is why I believe it is a liberty issue.

ASongOfDegrees likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

You say taking communion is dangerous for those who do not understand.

Who is capable of understanding?  Who makes that determination?  Can a young adult with downs syndrome, who loves God partake?  After all, her ability to understand is no greater than that of a young child around the age of 5.  Can a child understand?  My 3 year old certainly understands that Jesus loves her and that she loves Jesus, and understands Communion is not a snack.  As we go forward to receive communion each week, she whispers in my ear, "Daddy, Jesus loves us."  What about a man who has brain damage from an auto accident, and has very low mental capabilities.  Can he understand?   Am I truly capable of understanding what God did for us?  Who is the judge of that?

Every man, woman and child has different levels of understanding.  My 3 year old's level of understanding is that Jesus loves us all.  My 5 year old understands that Jesus died for her and came back to life, and that the bread and cup reminds of us his flesh and blood.  

Each person has a different capability and different level of understanding.  We all come to the table, and to Christ as we are, like children.  Christ will not refuse us if we come willingly, so why should we refuse a child if they understand that Jesus loves them?  

If your three year old can do the following he or she could take communion.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Edited by Eric Stahl

Posted · Report post

If your three year old can do the following he or she could take communion.

28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

Would the same hold true for a person with Down's Syndrome?  A 30 year old with Down's, as a woman in my church, has the same mental capacity as a three year old.

We are to come to Jesus as children. Jesus welcomed children.  Under the Old Covenant, children partook of the feast of the Passover, which is what communion replaced under the New Covenant.

God does not accept people based upon their mental capacity.  God accepts people where they are at if they respond to him.  Children and mentally incompetent adults can do that.  

heartstrings likes this

Posted · Report post

Would the same hold true for a person with Down's Syndrome?  A 30 year old with Down's, as a woman in my church, has the same mental capacity as a three year old.

We are to come to Jesus as children. Jesus welcomed children.  Under the Old Covenant, children partook of the feast of the Passover, which is what communion replaced under the New Covenant.

God does not accept people based upon their mental capacity.  God accepts people where they are at if they respond to him.  Children and mentally incompetent adults can do that.  

I agree.

There was a man in my church who was below normal mental ability but he loved Jesus. He would sit in the front pew and when we took up the offering he faithfully put in his little envelope. One day I said to him " Bobby when we get to heaven I want to vist you and see your mansion." I think many of the people in the church will be shocked at his rewards. God will judge us according to what we could have done as well as what we did. To whom much is given, much will be required of!

kindofblue1977 likes this

Posted · Report post

Dear Kindofblue 1977,

I have been struggling with this lately as well.  Our sermon was actually on this today.  I think the issue we are dealling with here is doctrine/tradition/religion vs. Jesus/scripture/faith.  It is a common practice to wait until one is "saved" and baptized until one partakes in communion. Is this a traditional/religious practice or a Godly/scriptural practice?I believe this practice is man-made so to speak. At the last supper, was EVERYONE baptized? Was everyone "saved"?  Only God knows truly, yet Jesus did not deny the bread and wine to ANYONE!  My children are young as well, they know God, they pray to him, they worship him, they ask him for guidance...Why should they be denied the most simple way to honor and remember our Lord and Savior? After all, Jesus teaches us that unless we become like them, we will never enter the gates of heaven.  "Let the little children come to me."  He says it all.  There are obviously many people who disagree with me, but I do not answer to them, I answer to the Lord!  And He has been screaming at me lately to allow my children to take the bread and wine...and we pray and I teach them, but they always teach me more!  It is exactly what God wants and it is wonderful! 

Here is an example of a Baptist Truth.  When one holds to a heretical view of the Lord's Supper, they also hold to an improper view of Baptism.

If a person can "discern" the body of Christ (i.e. understand what Christ's death meant for them) then he/she can partake in communion no matter what the age. If not, then they can't. It's that simple. 

Absolutely not!

So if I'm away visiting a church I can't partake of communion because I'm not a member of that local church? Don't add things to the bible that aren't there.

One has to throw out many parts of the bible in order to hold to this heretical view.

Please, both of you, when you can make the time, get out your bibles, pray, and then read these two articles written by men much more eloquent than I.  Challenge everything they say with God's Word.

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/challenge/01augtbc.pdf

http://www.baptistchallenge.org/Articles/bapsup.pdf

Posted · Report post

Amazing how something so simple can be turned into such a complicated matter.

We are always better off simply obeying the Word rather than trying to make the Word accomodate our own views, desires or wishes.