Rick Perry

75 posts in this topic

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

Posted

CNN Poll: Perry Would Rise to Top of GOP Pack

Huckabee: Perry Sat. Announcement a 'Blunder'

Perry May Pose Biggest Threat to Romney

Be interesting to see how it turns out. I have a feeling that many republicans will go with Mr. Perry.

Many are likely to jump on his bandwagon, but will they remain there once they learn more about him? He's not the one we need to turn this country around.

Posted

I agree that he isn't the one we need, John. He has done many things with which I disagree, but one thing I do give him the nod for is his strong belief, backed up by actual practice, in the sovereignty of the states. Something we haven't seen much of in DC lately...

Posted

I watched just a bit of his speech today, I figure he will pull many to his corner if he makes no mistakes, he is a very good speaker, perhaps the best of those that are running for president.

Posted

Yes, there are many taken in by his slick talking and his showmanship. I wonder how many will actually bother to look at his record.

What Perry entering the race will do is further split the GOP voters. Some will look at Perry and decide he has a better chance of winning than does a woman Republican or a black Republican (who both seem more conservative than Perry) and will support him based upon that alone. He will also pull votes from Romney, who is more liberal than conservative. We could very well see Repubs doing some serious damage to one another in an attempt to gain an advantage...which is bad because the Dems will later use that same ammuntion against whichever Repub they have to run against in the general election.

It would be a real shame to see the GOP end up handing the election to Obama again.

Posted

Without Rick Perry I feel Michele Bachmann would win. I do not support anyone. Rick Perry would fit the job better than Michele Bachmann. I just don't feel that the republicans will go for Mitt Romney, not unless the field to pick from was very limited for he is a bit to liberal & a Mormon.

Posted

I don't think the majority of GOP voters (whether independent or actually GOP) are going to decide based on MRomney's being a Mormon. Many Christian voters will, though. I'm almost in complete agreement with you, Jerry8 as to RP fitting the job better than MBachmann. I don't want to see her win, for a couple of reasons, but one being that I don't think she's truly capable of doing the job. I like her stance on the Constitution, but am kind of disappointed whenever I hear her answer questions - she doesn't really answer. RPerry does stand for good things re: the Constitution, but...So, I am torn. Of course, my hubby and I will pray and discuss whom we will support.

We still like Herman Cain, but don't know if he will get anywhere...

Posted

Very interesting article.....
http://www.americant...matic_pals.html

...Perry has been sucked into the propaganda vortex, and is now wielding his enormous power to influence changes in the schoolrooms and in the curricula to reflect a sharia compliant version of Islam. He is a friend of the Aga Khan, the multimillionaire head of the Ismailis, a Shi'ite sect of Islam that today proclaims its nonviolence but in ages past was the sect that gave rise to the Assassins. Perry has concluded at least two cooperation agreements between the state of Texas and the Ismailis, including a comprehensive program to feed children in Texas public schools and taqiyya nonsense about how Islam is a religion of peace. Another agreement stipulates that Texas officials will work with the Ismailis in the "fields of education, health sciences, natural disaster preparedness and recovery, culture and the environment." Perry let on that this was all about whitewashing Islam's bloody historical and modern-day record: "traditional Western education speaks little of the influence of Muslim scientists, scholars, throughout history, and for that matter the cultural treasures that stand today in testament to their wisdom."

Well, well, well...

Posted

Posted: 08/15/11

A Warning To Conservatives About Rick Perry's Record
by Steve Baldwin

Conservatives have become so demoralized by the economic and moral chaos America finds herself in that it's easy for them to be swept away by a new candidate who enters the race with lots of media hoopla and an alleged reputation for being a solid conservative.
They all want to believe that the new guy on the white horse galloping into the primaries is the superstar we've all been waiting for – Ronald Reagan reincarnated. Of course, I'm referring to Gov. Rick Perry, the Texas governor who has done so much to create an economic boom in Texas.
But there are some disturbing positions he has taken over time that every conservative should know about before committing to vote for him. In fact, I have found 10 areas in which Perry has taken positions anathema to conservative principles. Before conservatives get too excited about Perry's candidacy, it would be wise to ask Gov. Perry questions about these areas of concern, which I have outlined below:
1) Gov. Perry supported the construction of infrastructure for the North American Union. Gov. Perry was the prime mover in favor of the construction of the NAFTA superhighway, also called the Trans-Texas Corridor. As author Jerry Corsi has documented in his book, "The late Great USA: The Coming Merger with Mexico and Canada," this superhighway was part of a larger plan to create a North American Union modeled after the European Union, or EU, with the goal of ultimately eliminating the borders that exist between America, Mexico and Canada. Of course, the long-range goal of such continental unions is the elimination of sovereignty altogether, with all North American occupants become NAU citizens, the Constitution be damned.
A million-and-a-half acres of land would be needed to accommodate the 4,000-mile road, rail and pipeline system. The highway would have been four football fields wide. Perry threatened to use his eminent domain powers to confiscate this land from private ranches and farms to construct the Trans-Texas Corridor. It would have been the largest private land grab in American history. There rose such an outcry from the people of Texas that Gov. Perry put the project on hold.

Questions to Perry: Do you support the goals of the North American Union? Do you support any NAU/NAFTA project that would undermine U.S. sovereignty? Do you think state and federal governments should have the power of eminent domain to condemn unlimited amount of private land?
2) Gov. Perry favors trading with communist China and allowing Chinese front companies to set up shop in Texas. Most free traders during the Cold War era approved of the notion that we should cease trading with the Soviet block and should embargo its products. For the most part, much of the West, at Reagan's request, did this as well and this tactic contributed to the collapse of the Soviet empire. Documents from communist China obtained by our intelligence agencies have revealed its plans to dominant the U.S., both militarily and economically. Why then are we trading with them?
The Chinese government-controlled oil company, CNOOC, has partnered with an American firm to purchase mineral rights on 600,000 acres in Texas for the purpose of extracting shale oil. Moreover, the Chinese have built the Tianjin oil pipeline factory in Corpus Christi. Indeed, Texas has become the favorite destination for Chinese government front companies that have invested billions of dollars into Texas projects, all with the consent and support of Gov. Rick Perry. For example, two high-tech Chinese firms, Huawei and ZTE, are building their U.S. headquarters in Plano, Texas. Both groups are suspected of espionage regarding technology theft; just ask British intelligence. These two companies have also sold fiber optic technology to Saddam Hussein, who promptly used it to build anti-aircraft guns used to shoot at American planes. These firms likewise sold communication technology to the Iranians and the Taliban.
Questions: Do you think it is fine to promote free trade with communist China? Is it OK to help Chinese companies grow stronger, even though they are selling technology to our avowed enemies such as Iran and the Taliban? Is it OK to allow Chinese firms suspected of espionage to build plants in the U.S.?

3)Gov. Perry did not become a Republican until 1989 and served as Texas chairman of Al Gore's presidential campaign in 1988. During this time period, Texas was become more Republican and many Texan politicians switched parties to keep getting re-elected.
Questions: How do we know your conversion from liberal Democrat to conservative Republican is authentic and not done for purely political reasons? If your conversion is the result of a true appreciation of conservative ideals and principles, who influenced you to make this change? What conservative books, leaders or thinkers influenced you?
4) Gov. Perry is weak on immigration issues. Perry has been accused of being indistinguishable from George Bush when it comes to a variety of immigration reform issues. When Arizona passed S.B. 1070 to give their law enforcement officers the power to enforce existing federal immigration law, Perry, citing Texas' "rich history with Mexico," said S.B. 1070 "would not be the right direction for Texas." He claimed that having police checking the status of suspected illegal aliens involves "taking them away from their existing law enforcement duties, which are critical to keeping citizens safe." Is it safe to have illegal aliens roam the state without fear of deportation?
Perry has also said that he supports "free flow of individuals between these two countries who want to work and want to be an asset to our country and to Mexico." And regarding E-Verify, Perry stated that "E-Verify would not make a hill of beans' difference when it comes to what's happening in America today. You secure the border first, then you can talk about how to identify individuals in an immigration situation."
And he has opposed real border security as well. About a year after George Bush signed the Secure Fence Act in 2006, Perry stated in Mexico City: "We know how to deal with border security, and you don't do it by building a fence. You do it by putting boots on the ground; you do it by using the technology that's available ... and coordinating very highly with local, state and federal officials. … But the idea that you're going to build a 1,200-mile wall ... is idiocy. It absolutely would not work."
In 2006, Perry, echoing George Bush's rhetoric, said, "neither amnesty nor mass deportation is the answer" but then essentially called for amnesty, urging passage of "a guest worker program that takes undocumented workers off the black market and legitimizes their economic contributions without providing them citizenship status."
In 2001, Perry signed the first-ever state DREAM Act, which gave in-state tuition to illegal aliens. When questioned about it, he said, "To punish these young Texans [illegal aliens] for their parents' actions is not what America has always been about."
It is this record that prompted NumbersUSA, one of the nation's leading immigration reform groups, to give Rick Perry a "D-" on the ratings assigned to all presidential candidates.
Questions: As president, will you support legislation to require all government agencies to use E-Verify? Will you commit resources to finishing the border fence? Will you order the Justice Department to stop suing states that simply enforce existing federal immigration law? Would you pursue an immigration reform plan that includes any type of amnesty?
5) Perry joined the Bilderbergs. In 2007, Rick Perry joined the Bilderbergs and has attended at least one of its annual meetings. The Bilderberg group is a secret society composed of hundreds of the world's most powerful elites, most of whom are hostile to the notion of sovereignty and support world government to varying degrees. They are strong supporters of the U.N., EU, and other one-world entities. Invitations are only extended to people who share their views. Perry is a member of this group. It is presumed Gov. Perry was invited to join due to his effort to construct infrastructure for the North American Union in preparation for the merging of the American, Canadian and Mexican economies.
Questions: Are you still a member of the Bilderbergs? Why would you be invited to join this group?
6) Under Gov. Perry, spending and debt skyrocketed. In 2000, when Perry took office as governor, total spending by the state of Texas was $49 billion. By the end of 2010, spending had almost doubled to $90 billion. Thus, Perry increased the state budget by $50 billion during his 10-year tenure. Indeed, the total debt for Texas has doubled under Perry, and as a result the state is now dealing with severe debt problems.
His response has been to raise every possible fee he could. He also raised franchise taxes on Texas' small businesses. Indeed Perry has had to borrowed money for many projects in Texas. The current debt of Texas is more than $216 billion, and the debt-to-GDP ratio is higher than 18.5 percent. The Texas debt clock can be seen here. Despite Perry's reputation as a job creator, the latest unemployment statistics from the Federal Bureau of Labor Statistics reveal the Texas unemployment rate to be 8.2, one of the worst in the country.
Questions: How much is Texas really in debt? Why has spending in Texas doubled in 10 years? Do you believe it is OK for government to spend more revenue than it takes in? You claim Texas is creating more jobs than all other states; why, then, does Texas have an 8.2 unemployment rate, one of the worst in the country?
7) Gov. Perry undermined parental rights by requiring all sixth-grade girls to receive a vaccine against a sexually transmitted disease without parental consent. In 2007, Gov. Perry issued an executive order making Texas the first state to require sixth-grade girls to receive the HPV (Human Papilloma Virus) vaccine. The vaccine was produced by Merck, which stood to receive a hefty profit from the mandatory program.
There were all kinds of conflicts of interest. Two of Perry's former chiefs of staff worked for Merck, and Perry's current chief of staff had a mother-in-law working with Merck. Perry also received $6,000 from Merck's political action committee during his re-election campaign.
Moreover, there are dangerous side effects that could include death. The program created such an outcry from parents that some even sued the state for undermining parental rights. Under siege, Perry eventually allowed a bill to go into law that reversed the executive order that created the program.
Questions: Will you admit that there were numerous conflicts of interest among your staff regarding this program? Do you believe it is fine for a state to pass laws requiring medical procedures for minors without the consent of parents?
8) Gov. Perry vetoed an eminent-domain bill that would have helped protect property rights for Texas landowners. The purpose of the bill was to make it more difficult for politicians to grab private property for various pet projects. "With this veto, Gov. Perry has left every home, farm, ranch and small-business owner vulnerable to the abuse of eminent domain," said Steven Anderson, director of the Institute for Justice.
Questions: Do you believe government can confiscate private land for any governmental use? At what point do private-property rights trump government ambitions?
9) Gov. Perry signed a hate-crimes bill. Shortly after Perry became governor, he signed a hate-crimes bill. Such a law gives harsher sentences to certain crimes based upon a person's perceived bias to some class or group. But juries really can't determine what's in a person's heart and, besides, all crime should be punished equally, regarding of the race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. of the victim. In other words, under hate-crimes law, if someone beats up a white person and then beats up a gay person, they receive a heavier sentence for the latter crime. This makes a travesty of the concept of equal application of the law and is likely unconstitutional.
Question: Why would you support legislation that creates a two-tiered system of justice? Why can't justice be colorblind? Do you not have any constitutional concerns with this approach?
10) Rick Perry endorsed Rudy Giuliani for president in 2008. Giuliani is liberal on a host of issues, from "gay rights" to gun control and amnesty for illegal aliens.
Question: Why would you endorse one of the most liberal candidates in the 2008 presidential race? Did you not care about how he would use his views to advance liberal social policy?

Distributed by www.worldviewweekend.com

Posted

I was out of town and missed the debates...but I still like the idea of Herman Cain...although everybody is ignoring him and its pretty obvious nobody takes him seriously. Funny how its "racist" if people don't like Obama, but its not "racist" when people ignore Cain.

The articles above about Perry seem very opposite to the image he has been portraying lately. I have a pretty strong feeling he will end up the next President, though, seeing how the polls are right now.... take it or leave it, I guess. Hope he repeals ObamaCare.

Posted

I was out of town and missed the debates...but I still like the idea of Herman Cain...although everybody is ignoring him and its pretty obvious nobody takes him seriously. Funny how its "racist" if people don't like Obama, but its not "racist" when people ignore Cain.

The articles above about Perry seem very opposite to the image he has been portraying lately. I have a pretty strong feeling he will end up the next President, though, seeing how the polls are right now.... take it or leave it, I guess. Hope he repeals ObamaCare.

Right now the media is trying to ignore all the GOP canidates except Perry and Romney. They really want to see these two battle it out, beat each other up and help Obama win again. In the chance the GOP might win, they are more comfortable with one of these compromise politicians in office than many of the others running.

Bachmann won the Iowa straw poll after doing very well in the debate but since Perry has entered the race the media has been trying to sideline here.

Ron Paul came in second, only one point behind Bachmann and he's being ignored as well.

If the media are going to ignore the two big winners in Iowa, it's little wonder they don't pay any attention to the rest.

Cain, from my perspective, did well in the debates. Only Cain, Bachmann and Paul offered up anything really different from politics as usual. I would imagine it would be the liberals worst nightmare to see a GOP ticket of Bachmann/Cain or Cain/Bachmann!

Posted

I'm sure RPerry would repeal BOcare. He stated that his wife is a nurse and the daughter of a doctor, and that was the impetus for her telling him he needed to do his duty.

I totally agree, Suzi - it's racist to disagree with BO, but HCain is crazy (in MSM's eyes) and so he is to be ignored.

One thing: Sarah Palin hasn't ruled out running. I could see her jumping in in a couple weeks...if she does, I do think she'll steal RPerry's thunder...

Posted (edited)

Now that Mr. Perry has entered the race Mr. Paul nor Mrs. Bachmann are not among the front runners, so of course they will focus on the front runners. while not leaving the others completely out, just focusing on these 2 a bit more, for that is who most are watching.

GOP Primary: Perry 29%, Romney 18%, Bachmann 13%

Edited by Jerry80871852

Posted

Now that Mr. Perry has entered the race Mr. Paul nor Mrs. Bachmann are not among the front runners, so of course they will focus on the front runners. while not leaving the others completely out, just focusing on these 2 a bit more, for that is who most are watching.

GOP Primary: Perry 29%, Romney 18%, Bachmann 13%

The thing is, in the recent debate, Perry specifically skipped while Bachmann and Paul made good showings. As well, they had a large turnout at the Iowa straw poll which Bachmann won with Paul one point behind in 2nd, both had double what the 3rd place guy had.

Yet here we have this poll that only polled 1,000 potential GOP voters and the media is focused upon this very small poll, because it boosts the candidates they would prefer to see nominated while giving an excuse to ignore those they fear more.

Even now there is growing discontent among many GOP voters who now say they want Christi and Ryan in the race, and some still call for Palin.

There is no certain solid, overwhelming support for any candidate yet, but the media want to make it seem it is. In the meantime, the most recent substantial indicator, the Iowa straw poll, is being ignored because the media doesn't like the results.
HappyChristian likes this

Posted

Watch to the end...RPaul 81% to RPerry's 19%...

I've noticed that whenever Paul does well in a poll the media tend to ignore it and supposed conservative commentators belittle it, then attack Paul and give a build up of someone like Romney.

The thing that really tires me is the media and commentators continually trying to tell us who is or isn't best and who we would be "smart" to support. If they did this openly that would be one thing, but they do it while pretending to be just reporting or commenting.

For instance, I've heard Sean Hannity attack Ron Paul hard, build up a rather liberal Republican, and then state that he's not actually supporting anyone.

Can you imagine if the candidates had to face a real debate situation...the kind where real questions are asked and detailed, meaningful answers are expected? That would really highlight the actual core views of the candidates and their real level of understanding.

Posted

True, John. I think Michele Bachmann would not do well in a debate such as you describe. I've yet to hear her really answer fully, rather than in sound bites. Ron Paul goes into too much detail because the rank and file electorate doesn't have a background in what has been happening. MRomney and RPerry slickness would show up. HCain would, IMO, be the one to shine in a debate like that.

Posted

True, John. I think Michele Bachmann would not do well in a debate such as you describe. I've yet to hear her really answer fully, rather than in sound bites. Ron Paul goes into too much detail because the rank and file electorate doesn't have a background in what has been happening. MRomney and RPerry slickness would show up. HCain would, IMO, be the one to shine in a debate like that.

You may well be right. You are certainly right with regards to Paul. He's a very studied man in the areas he discusses but most of the masses don't even know the least bit he's referring to.

I'm not familiar enough with Bachmann to know how well she might do in a real debate. In a couple areas she would probably do pretty well, from what I've seen, but beyond that I don't know how much depth she has.

Romney and Perry would be the big losers in such a debate. They base their appeal more on looks, charisma and sound bites.

While not real familiar with Cain, from what I've seen of him it seems like he could probably hold his own in a real debate. It would likely be very interesting to see a real debate between Cain and Obama!

Posted

22% Ron Paul
17% Rick Perry

Perhaps I'm missing something but that does not look like 81% to 19%.

Who held the poll? Where was it held? Who was allowed to vote? Was it likely voters? What was the accuracy of the poll?

Every poll I've seen, except for this one, & the Iowa straw poll that has little if any meaning, has Perry leading.

Perry Jumps Ahead in New GOP Poll

Posted

22% Ron Paul

17% Rick Perry

Perhaps I'm missing something but that does not look like 81% to 19%.

Who held the poll? Where was it held? Who was allowed to vote? Was it likely voters? What was the accuracy of the poll?

Every poll I've seen, except for this one, & the Iowa straw poll that has little if any meaning, has Perry leading.

Perry Jumps Ahead in New GOP Poll

The poll linked here only asked 1,000 potential GOP voters who they would vote for. That's hardly representative of the millions of potential GOP voters out there.

For the most part, none of the early polls mean much other than giving the candidates something to talk about and the media an easy way to create news.

Posted

Herman Cain, can he be trusted when it comes to the enonomy?
http://www.tennesseesonsofliberty.com/2011/01/no-need-to-audit-federal-reserve.html

How has the fed done in the past? No shenanlgans between the fed and J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, etc, right? The people should believe what the Fed tells them, right? There is no need for an external audit of the Fed, right? Cain says an external audit is not necessary. I think the words of Mr. Cain himself will show that he is not to be trusted.

God bless,
Larry

Posted

Herman Cain, can he be trusted when it comes to the enonomy?
http://www.tennessee...al-reserve.html

How has the fed done in the past? No shenanlgans between the fed and J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Bank of America, etc, right? The people should believe what the Fed tells them, right? There is no need for an external audit of the Fed, right? Cain says an external audit is not necessary. I think the words of Mr. Cain himself will show that he is not to be trusted.

God bless,
Larry

How about Ron Paul? He has had a few things to say about the Fed.

Posted

Interesting info re: Rick Perry. Apparently the "news" that he is pro-Islam originated from libs...

http://www.counterco...m/archives/1945

Surely we didn't believe it originated with conservatives...did we? Why wouldn't the demerals go after possibly the only man who appears to have a shot at winning.

Posted

Surely we didn't believe it originated with conservatives...did we? Why wouldn't the demerals go after possibly the only man who appears to have a shot at winning.

Who knows where news generates? RPerry does have his problems. And they are documented fact (like his signing the bill that all girls were to get that H whatever virus shot, regardless of what parents want...it was shot down, which is exactly what a state has the right to do, but that kinda worries me....).

As I said, I do like his stance on state's rights. But there are things that worry me.

At this point, I agree that he has the best chance of being the nominee. I think he could beat BO. But if those Dems who are pushing for it have their way, he won't be running against BO, he'll be running against Hillary. There is a ground swelling going on to get him to resign and allow her to run. It isn't resounding yet, but someone in the White House is leaking an awful lot of bad press about BO and his wife lately. It makes me wonder....