John81

Running to Win

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 59,584 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

What about college scholarships ?

What about them? I've known of many homeschoolers who got such and I know many more who found other ways to go to college.

#22 Pastorj

Pastorj

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
Excellent
  • LocationStatesville, NC

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:30 PM

There is a simple solution - Enroll your child in an accredited program like Abeka Video School. Had my children completed their schooling at home, they would have received a diploma from the Abeka Christian Academy.

#23 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 59,584 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

There is a simple solution - Enroll your child in an accredited program like Abeka Video School. Had my children completed their schooling at home, they would have received a diploma from the Abeka Christian Academy.

That is one of the very good options out there.

#24 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

Life is about Jesus, not self

• 26,276 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIn the south

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:50 PM

What about college scholarships ?

When young, parents can make choices for their children, yet for many children after having their education & reaching 18 or older, that is no longer true for many parents. At least when they hit college they will be a bit more mature & not 5 or 6 years of age & hopefully saved, and have solid Bible teaching in their heart because of their parents efforts. But there are Christian colleges out there.

And, if it can't be got at a Christian college, perhaps God is closing the door on that profession. Besides, many college graduates never work at what they went to college for.

#25 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 59,584 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

We too often forget that God has a plan for our lives and that plan may have nothing to do with what we want to have as a career choice. Too many Christians fail to seek the will of God for their lives. Instead they make their own plans and then ask God to bless them. That's putting ourselves on the throne. Not good!

#26 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

• 26,276 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIn the south

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Isn't a Christian's career completely up to them, & they can chose the highest paying career they can find if they so desire no matter what that career may or what lines it may cross just as long as they settle down & get into some church after getting that education placing 10% of what they make in the collection plate?

Recently one Christian started a restaurant that has a full bar serving alcoholic beverages & he sees no conflict with teachings in the Bible. This was my nephew. His father, whose marriages to my wife's twin sister was broke up because he played music in night clubs, honky tonks, told his son, "this is the worse mistake that you have ever made."

#27 Fixation

Fixation

Disciple of The Word

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Excellent
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Isn't a Christian's career completely up to them, & they can chose the highest paying career they can find if they so desire no matter what that career may or what lines it may cross just as long as they settle down & get into some church after getting that education placing 10% of what they make in the collection plate?

Recently one Christian started a restaurant that has a full bar serving alcoholic beverages & he sees no conflict with teachings in the Bible. This was my nephew. His father, whose marriages to my wife's twin sister was broke up because he played music in night clubs, honky tonks, told his son, "this is the worse mistake that you have ever made."

Yes and no. Yes, they are completely free to do whatever they want to do as a career. But I believe that every Christian should constantly seek the Lord's Will as to what He wants them to do. Each and every person was put here for a purpose, and that is to further the Will of God. A lot of the time, Christians think that only Pastors and other ministry workers should seek God's counsel and guidance, since they are directly involved with leading the flock. These Christians see themselves as just "everyday, normal Christians" with no calling to the ministry field, so they don't see the need to consult God.

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

This passage (Matthew 6:25-34) is talking about all Christians. So I believe that, while Christians can ultimately choose to do whatever they want, we are commanded essentially to seek the Lord's Will for our lives.

Edited by Fixation, 07 August 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#28 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

• 26,276 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIn the south

Posted 07 August 2012 - 12:52 PM

Fixation, Sad to say we do have many Sunday Christians, & even many more that are just Christian on only Sunday's when they can't find nothing better to do. Plus, both of theses groups are Christian when a loved one is very ill, or they them self are on this death bed. These people wants all of God's benefits, yet they do not want God in their life on a daily basics, especially how they earn their income.

Sad few Christians are like Moses that gives up the riches of Egypt to follow Jesus, & many are like Lot, they run as fast as they can towards the bright light cities becoming as one who mocks God.

Ge 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Thank goodness we are saved by grace, not by the life we live.

#29 Fixation

Fixation

Disciple of The Word

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
Excellent
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

Fixation, Sad to say we do have many Sunday Christians, & even many more that are just Christian on only Sunday's when they can't find nothing better to do. Plus, both of theses groups are Christian when a loved one is very ill, or they them self are on this death bed. These people wants all of God's benefits, yet they do not want God in their life on a daily basics, especially how they earn their income.

Sad few Christians are like Moses that gives up the riches of Egypt to follow Jesus, & many are like Lot, they run as fast as they can towards the bright light cities becoming as one who mocks God.

Ge 19:14 And Lot went out, and spake unto his sons in law, which married his daughters, and said, Up, get you out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city. But he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Thank goodness we are saved by grace, not by the life we live.

Amen to that!

#30 Invicta

Invicta

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWhitstable, Kent, England

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

According to Peter, Lot was a just man.

2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

#31 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

• 26,276 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIn the south

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

According to Peter, Lot was a just man.

2 Peter 2:7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked:

And he vexed his soul just as many do today.

Yes, to his son-in-laws when he warned what was going to take place, they did not believe him for he seemed as one that mocked unto his sons in law.

Yes, you can be saved, yet have no testimony, credibility! There is not hardly a thing worse than a saved person that has no credibility.

#32 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

Ephesians 1:13,14

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

As my wife is now 4 months with our first I need to start prepping for homeschooling. As I work from home and am more suited to the task we have decided that I will be responsible for this and seeing that I wasn't the best kid at school all advice would be appreciated.

Make sure you know the laws of your state and county. Join one of these homeschooling groups too if you can. There is strength in numbers and when the state comes after you for something usually it helps when you are part of one of the associations.

My brother and his wife homeschooled both their kids. They are now both cops in Roanoke, VA. The younger one did attend college and got his associates degree. It's a rough road to travel sometimes. Expect some people to give you a lot of grief about it at first. Especially any unsaved family members. Try to find some good tutors to help you with the studies that may be beyond your understanding. My brother and his wife did this by hiring a girl who lived across the street that was really good in math. They even got her to go to church with them and I think she eventually got saved.

#33 AVBibleBeliever

AVBibleBeliever

A True AV Bible Believer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
Excellent
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

I am using "accelerated Christian Education" curriculum.

I like it because it teaches the student how to self study.

#34 Genevanpreacher

Genevanpreacher

Seeker of God's Wisdom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Just a heads up statement, you will never be totally prepped for this adventure, it is a work continually in progress.

We have 4 children, with one of them already graduated. All four have only been homeschooled. With that said, it is well worth it!!

#35 AVBibleBeliever

AVBibleBeliever

A True AV Bible Believer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
Excellent
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

I need some PACE's for my kids does anyone have any of the School of Tommorrow's  Pace's, test scores and test they are no longer using?

Even if they are written on I will still want them.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever, 16 February 2014 - 06:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500