Melodys

Advanced Member

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Good
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:43 PM

After working in fast food for my first college year, I am disturbed at some Christians. This maybe for edification, or a slight rant about my upset.
First of all, I am tired of "Christians" who behave horribly, have no control over their children and leave huge messes for me to clean up... and then leave a tract on their dirty table... and on the floor. My unsaved co-workers just comment on the lack of backbone the Christians had for not actually handing it to ANY of the workers, but littering the room with them. The only person that actually encouraged me was someone who just asked me if I was saved (I'm sure he just asked because I was wearing a skirt...). I think we as Christians are too afraid and unsaved people see it.
Secondly, I am disappointed in the lack of tracts I recieved! I was in a community with MANY good IFB churches and I was never handed a single tract. I knew some of the people that ordered food were from good churches! We only have one life time to touch these people's lives! I'm so glad I'm saved, because if I was not, I know none of the Christians that came through my restaurant cared enough about my soul.

#2 P_Bear141

P_Bear141

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:58 AM

lol, my Pastor always says if you are going to go to a restaraunt and act like a fool, don't leave a tract. You don't need to make the server think that you represent Christ acting like that!

#3 Steve Schwenke

Steve Schwenke

Bible Believing Baptist Preacher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Excellent
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Good point!
I try to encourage our people to leave tracts everywhere they go, but I also caution them to make sure that their appearance and actions MATCH the tract! They are to be AMBASSADORS for Christ.

Personally, at restaurants, I always try to have a nice, brief conversation with the waiter, build that little bit of a relationship, and then leave him/her with a tract and personal invitation to attend church with us.
A little kindness goes a long way!

#4 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,660 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:15 PM

The same this is common in this area as well. Some Christians will leave church, go straight to an eating place, let their kids run wild, make a mess and then leave a tiny tip or no tip at all, sometimes leaving a tract behind.

Our pastor has pointed out that if you are going to act like the world, don't be leaving a tract behind that makes someone think you represent Jesus.

There was a guy some years ago who used to attend local ballgames wearing a shirt with our church name on it. He would get all carried away, rant and rave, and even use foul language. Once our pastor became aware of this he spoke to the man and told him if he was going to act like that, not to wear the shirt with our church name on it. In this particular case, and to that man's credit, he listened to the pastor, took notice that his behaviour had indeed been worldly and clearly unchristian, and no longer acted that way at the ball games.

There is also a problem with the tracts many people do leave behind. Some are either so vague it's hard to tell what they are saying (most with a "all you have to do is say this tiny "sinners prayer" and you are good to go!), or they the ones with long stories with very tiny print that most folks discard as too difficult to read and too time consuming.

Where are the good tracts these days?

After reading the OP, I realize it's actually been many years since anyone has offered me a tract or asked about my soul.

#5 MatthewDiscipleOfGod

MatthewDiscipleOfGod

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:51 PM

Many great suggestions. Like has been said don't leave a tract if you are not going to leave a reasonable tip or if you made a big mess to clean up at the table. Our church does a great job with tracts. We ave them all over in our church (Chick tracts and others) so they are easy to grab and hand out during the week. We also go out on Thursdays into the community.

#6 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,660 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

Many great suggestions. Like has been said don't leave a tract if you are not going to leave a reasonable tip or if you made a big mess to clean up at the table. Our church does a great job with tracts. We ave them all over in our church (Chick tracts and others) so they are easy to grab and hand out during the week. We also go out on Thursdays into the community.

That is great your church still does that. Today it seems very few churches actually have and provide tracts. Few do much real community outreach either.

We (my family) try not to make a big mess when we go out to eat. Sometimes there will be a bit more of a mess than others, never a BIG mess, but even if it's a bit more than what I would consider normal, I will leave a little larger tip.

What I don't get is how some Christians will go to these places, be very demanding in the way they treat the waitress, really work them, make a mess, then leave a tract and no tip at all. Even the lost who have never read a Bible know that such isn't right and isn't Christian.

#7 Melodys

Melodys

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Good
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

One of my favourites is one that says, "ye must be born again" on the front with butterflies. The design is eye catching and the tract is smaller in size so it fits in a pocket without looking rumpled (another thing I hate.... rumpled tracts!)
My boss (praise the Lord he claims he is saved) says the Sunday crowd is the worst (i.e. the people who come in after morning church for lunch) ugh. I feel embarrassed my coworkers relate me to them...

#8 Melodys

Melodys

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Good
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:51 PM

Good point!
I try to encourage our people to leave tracts everywhere they go, but I also caution them to make sure that their appearance and actions MATCH the tract! They are to be AMBASSADORS for Christ.

Personally, at restaurants, I always try to have a nice, brief conversation with the waiter, build that little bit of a relationship, and then leave him/her with a tract and personal invitation to attend church with us.
A little kindness goes a long way!

I agree! And the person sees that you are a real person who can have a conversation and not some weirdo

#9 Guest_Joshua Berndt_*

Guest_Joshua Berndt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Miss Melodys, I tend to agree with what you posted in your original post above. I do get so upset with seeing Christians who say all the right things to make me think that they have accepted Christ, but then do things like that. I can wonder if they are saved or maybe just haven't matured as they should. I don't like accordion length tracts. Or, as was mentioned above, vague tracts. Let it be simple and clear! I make my own tracts because I couldn't find any that I like enough. All my tracts have is Romans 3:23, 5:8, 6:23, Ephesians 2:8-9, John 3:16 and Romans 10:9-10. That's it! None of my own words. God can use his own Word to save them. I have the same posted in my Bio information on Facebook. I also bought a T-shirt applique kit, or whatever you call it and printed Ephesians 2:8-9 on the back of a shirt. I put it on the back, so others won't be embarrassed to read it, in case I look at them. They can freely read it as long as they want to. Then I can add other verses of the gospel to other shirts.

#10 TheBibleSender

TheBibleSender

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Good points everyone. I always leave a tip that is above what I should and we do make sure to straighten things up before we go. Only one time I was tempted to not leave a good tip because the service was horrible. But I decided if I was going to leave a tract I better not be stingy. By the way here is a shameless plug. Please check out our tracts if you have not seen them. http://afterdeathwhat.com/tracts.htm God bless. :)

#11 swathdiver

swathdiver

Surrendered

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
Excellent
  • LocationTreasure Coast

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I am tired of "Christians" who behave horribly, have no control over their children and leave huge messes for me to clean up... and then leave a tract on their dirty table...

First of all, are they really Christians with a biblical testimony of salvation? Maybe someone should be witnessing to them with their own tracts???

This is a sign of the times, churches in general are filled with goats (false converts) because the gospel has been corrupted by Satan. In addition, many who are genuiunely saved have not learned the doctrine of separation, to live a separated life from the world and its destructive values. Failing to do so whether on purpose or out of ignorance will devour them.

#12 pilgrimspen

pilgrimspen

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

The tracts that I just know is that of Jack Chick... well, most criticize his tracts... because they said he teaches wrong doctrine

#13 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

Ephesians 1:13,14

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

The tracts that I just know is that of Jack Chick... well, most criticize his tracts... because they said he teaches wrong doctrine

Some of the more intellectual get offended at his comics. Yet I wouldn't doubt if these same people flock to see Batman and Spiderman at the theater.

Chick tracts are great for kids. The artwork is great in a lot of them. Some are funny too. I believe the doctrinal issues with his tracts were more with the earlier ones.

#14 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:07 PM

First of all, are they really Christians with a biblical testimony of salvation? Maybe someone should be witnessing to them with their own tracts???

Ha ha you serious about this? Do you have children? Children can be messy and loud at times.

#15 swathdiver

swathdiver

Surrendered

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,767 posts
Excellent
  • LocationTreasure Coast

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Ha ha you serious about this? Do you have children? Children can be messy and loud at times.

Yes, I am serious. Yes, I have three children and mine are messy and loud all the time. However, we clean up after ourselves. Should something impede us from cleaning up a mess while eating out, we apologize and give a more liberal tip! But, my children are well behaved, are all biblically saved and members of our local church. They do not donduct themselves in the manner described above.

#16 OLD fashioned preacher

OLD fashioned preacher

Termite in a yoyo

• Moderators
  • 1,704 posts
Excellent
  • Locationunder a rock, but crawl out occasionally

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Kids can also be taught volume control and being more careful, especially when in someone else's home or in a restaurant -- for the record, we didn't have many children and that may have made things easier.

5 children and currently 5 grandchildren.

#17 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:12 AM

Kids can also be taught volume control and being more careful, especially when in someone else's home or in a restaurant -- for the record, we didn't have many children and that may have made things easier.

5 children and currently 5 grandchildren.

True, but I don't think being loud or messy should qualify someone as being lost.

#18 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 2,850 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:58 PM

True, but I don't think being loud or messy should qualify someone as being lost.

Any more than being neat and tidy qualifies someone as being saved.

#19 Doc Flay

Doc Flay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
Excellent
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:07 PM

Any more than being neat and tidy qualifies someone as being saved.

excellent back-to-posts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500