Photo

What Do You Mean When You Call A Church, Seeker-Sensitive?

seeker sensitive megachurch

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Celina Capalad

Celina Capalad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral
  • LocationCainta, Rizal, Philippines

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

I have been bombarded by the ideas of leaving this almost seeker-sensitive megachurch I am currently attending. I believe some of the people I know there are real and genuine christians when I try to open to them my thoughts about how the church operates and that somehow, I feel like it's not biblically sound, they will tell me to focus on sowing seeds and we will reap genuine believers in time. That this is the best to reach out to the lost for they will not come if they don't feel welcome.
But I don;t feel "right" about that..

Enlighten me please... For those who have been supporting me for my church-search, you may notice, this is still my issue. :)

Thank you !

#2 No Nicolaitans

No Nicolaitans

♫ The B-I-B-L-E...yes, that's the book for me. ♫

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

I have been bombarded by the ideas of leaving this almost seeker-sensitive megachurch I am currently attending. I believe some of the people I know there are real and genuine christians when I try to open to them my thoughts about how the church operates and that somehow, I feel like it's not biblically sound, they will tell me to focus on sowing seeds and we will reap genuine believers in time. That this is the best to reach out to the lost for they will not come if they don't feel welcome.

Enlighten me please... For those who have been supporting me for my church-search, you may notice, this is still my issue. :)

Thank you !

Hi Celina,

Basically, a "seeker sensitive" church is one that doesn't confront people with the fact that they are sinners...guilty before God...deserving of hell...and eternally damned to everlasting torment in the lake of fire if they don't get saved.

Theses churches are more concerned with making their services as comfortable and non-threatening to the lost world as possible.

They are more concerned with social issues (poverty, hunger, clothing, addictions, etc.), and their main focus is to reach people through those avenues rather than the Great Commission that the Lord instructed us to use. Many of these type churches are started by conducting "surveys" in the area in which the church will start. The survey asks the community what "they" want in a church (rather than what God wants), and the church is tailored to the results of the survey. So you end up with a worldly minded church that appeals to the flesh. They claim that by reaching people this way, the people will want to be saved. However, the vast majority of seeker sensitive churches that I'm aware of, are led by false pastors and teachers who don't believe the Bible is the word of God, don't believe in hell, and believe that all religions will end up in heaven...among other deplorable things.

They use rock music, light shows, theatrics, and entertainment to attract the world. It's all directed at attracting the world and the flesh. Their "sermons" are basically modern psychology meant to make you feel good about yourself.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea.

I don't know you personally, so I can only go by what you say...if I were you, I would leave the church if it's unbiblical. And any church that talks of "sowing seeds" (no matter what context it's used for) automatically has a strike against it in my book. The fact that they're telling you that the lost won't come if they don't feel welcome is another strike. The fact of the matter is, no lost person "wants" to come to a biblically sound church! Jesus said for us to go to them...not lure them to us!

Matthew 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus' plan is for us to go to the lost, win them to the Lord, baptize them...THEN bring them in and teach them. Sensitive Seeker churches have it backwards...they bring them in first, teach them false doctrine while entertaining them, and then they "hope" to win them to the Lord (which is kind of hard since the church leaders don't even know how to be saved themselves...and many don't even believe in "being saved"). They just want to have a big community center, make a name for themselves, and reap the financial rewards of having a lot of supporters in their church...I mean Community Center.

(Edited to add this...)
I'm by no means saying that the lost can't be saved in church, because that happens to many people...a lost person gets invited to church, hears the gospel, and they get saved. I'm just saying that our commission from Jesus is to go to them...it's not to make our churches attractive to the world so they will come to us.

Edited by No Nicolaitans, 20 July 2012 - 10:59 PM.

#3 Celina Capalad

Celina Capalad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hi Celina,

Basically, a "seeker sensitive" church is one that doesn't confront people with the fact that they are sinners...guilty before God...deserving of hell...and eternally damned to everlasting torment in the lake of fire if they don't get saved.

Theses churches are more concerned with making their services as comfortable and non-threatening to the lost world as possible.

They are more concerned with social issues (poverty, hunger, clothing, addictions, etc.), and their main focus is to reach people through those avenues rather than the Great Commission that the Lord instructed us to use. Many of these type churches are started by conducting "surveys" in the area in which the church will start. The survey asks the community what "they" want in a church (rather than what God wants), and the church is tailored to the results of the survey. So you end up with a worldly minded church that appeals to the flesh. They claim that by reaching people this way, the people will want to be saved. However, the vast majority of seeker sensitive churches that I'm aware of, are led by false pastors and teachers who don't believe the Bible is the word of God, don't believe in hell, and believe that all religions will end up in heaven...among other deplorable things.

They use rock music, light shows, theatrics, and entertainment to attract the world. It's all directed at attracting the world and the flesh. Their "sermons" are basically modern psychology meant to make you feel good about yourself.

I could go on, but I hope you get the idea.

I don't know you personally, so I can only go by what you say...if I were you, I would leave the church if it's unbiblical. And any church that talks of "sowing seeds" (no matter what context it's used for) automatically has a strike against it in my book. The fact that they're telling you that the lost won't come if they don't feel welcome is another strike. The fact of the matter is, no lost person "wants" to come to a biblically sound church! Jesus said for us to go to them...not lure them to us!

Matthew 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Jesus' plan is for us to go to the lost, win them to the Lord, baptize them...THEN bring them in and teach them. Sensitive Seeker churches have it backwards...they bring them in first, teach them false doctrine while entertaining them, and then they "hope" to win them to the Lord (which is kind of hard since the church leaders don't even know how to be saved themselves...and many don't even believe in "being saved"). They just want to have a big community center, make a name for themselves, and reap the financial rewards of having a lot of supporters in their church...I mean Community Center.

(Edited to add this...)
I'm by no means saying that the lost can't be saved in church, because that happens to many people...a lost person gets invited to church, hears the gospel, and they get saved. I'm just saying that our commission from Jesus is to go to them...it's not to make our churches attractive to the world so they will come to us.

Thanks No Nicolaitans... [I like your user name,,,,]
I know and I agree to what you said right there at the end..
This is a bit a walk on water for me. I tried to explain to them what i'm after and what i am really pointing out. They all tell me, that i can never find a perfect church. And I think they miss the point. I am not looking for a perfect church [sinless people] but a church [biblically rooted one]. If they think I am thinking of moving for the reason of the search of a better church [less sinful]
Of course not! I am well aware of my sins and I know churches are filled with sinners like me.

I was trying to get my point across, maybe hoping that they will realize this too, and make them rethink.

Job 12:12 With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

I will need prayers for clear path and wisdom from the Bible.

Thank you again. SO much.

#4 No Nicolaitans

No Nicolaitans

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thanks No Nicolaitans... [I like your user name,,,,]
I know and I agree to what you said right there at the end..
This is a bit a walk on water for me. I tried to explain to them what i'm after and what i am really pointing out. They all tell me, that i can never find a perfect church. And I think they miss the point. I am not looking for a perfect church [sinless people] but a church [biblically rooted one]. If they think I am thinking of moving for the reason of the search of a better church [less sinful]
Of course not! I am well aware of my sins and I know churches are filled with sinners like me.

I was trying to get my point across, maybe hoping that they will realize this too, and make them rethink.

Job 12:12 With the ancient is wisdom; and in length of days understanding.

I will need prayers for clear path and wisdom from the Bible.

Thank you again. SO much.

I'm not familiar with the Philippines, so this may be a long-shot...but are you near this church?

http://www.bereanbbc.com/index.html

From their website...

Berean Bible Baptist Church Philippines, is a Bible Baptist Church along Dr. A. Santos Road going to Sucat Highway (near Puregold Sucat, YP, Jaka Plaza and Paranaque City Police Station Precinct #4).

I know nothing of them personally, but according to their doctrinal statement...they sound like a good church.

I enjoy listening to their choir on You Tube. :)

#5 pilgrimspen

pilgrimspen

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

To No Nicolaitans very well said.

I think one important thing when seeking a church is to seek a good pastor also not just the 'psychology stuff's' that many preachers used today. Like one preacher I know is into the 'Come to GOD and be wealthy and financially blessed'. The truth is being a real Christian is not a bed of roses like what others perceive.

A good church = a pastor should teach biblically/doctrinally sound teachings.
Fellowship is really important and I consider my church as my 2nd family. (1st being GOD)... 3rd only my earthly family :))

I encourage you to attend a baptist church. You know why I don't agree with the evangelicals/pentecostals. With regards to the speaking of tongues. :)

#6 Celina Capalad

Celina Capalad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:09 AM

I'm not familiar with the Philippines, so this may be a long-shot...but are you near this church?

http://www.bereanbbc.com/index.html

From their website...

I know nothing of them personally, but according to their doctrinal statement...they sound like a good church.

I enjoy listening to their choir on You Tube. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOw8-0QY2g

Oh, Im far from there. :( Do they have another place?

Invicta suggested Cubao Reformed Baptist Church. I have heard one podcast from the pastor and he uses NASB but i liked that when he preaches, almost all his words are verses... [Thanks to Papa for enabling me to read through the Bible makes me familiar with most of them.]

Anyway, I want to check my heart and I need wisdom from Papa because I want to make sure I am not wanting to leave this church because of personal excuses.

I basically kept telling my friends that I am up against the focus on making the life here better. I mean. If you really know that this world will end, that all you see will be burned down, and because of Jesus, you have eternal life, completely free, why do we keep on worrying about if we ever get to find a spouse, or a job, or a car, or etc.

I know I may seem very foolish. But, anything apart from that does not make sense to me if you really understand what the world is going through now.,..

I even think I am the problem. Because they all say that once in their walk they have these kinds of ideas and thinking. And that after a while it was balanced. Which makes me feel as if I need that balance too.

I know that I am still alive in this world. So i will still need to work and eat and drink until He takes my life. But, I believe Jesus' priority is not what your living here is... In fact He allows suffering for us all, to bring us to Him.

Like what happend with Paul and Jonah, Josiah... Jacob... The list goes on...

#7 No Nicolaitans

No Nicolaitans

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

Don't allow other people to make your decision for you (about how you will become "balanced" like them). It sounds to me like those people have compromised. If the Holy Spirit is showing you things that are wrong in your church...listen to Him. He will never lead you astray. He wants to draw you into a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. Whether your feelings are "personal excuses" or direction from Him is for you to determine; however, with what little I know about your situation, it sounds like God is dealing with you about this.

I know this is a tough situation, but my recommendation is for you to try to find an Independent Baptist Church...one that uses the King James Bible, believes in winning the lost, doesn't use entertainment to attract lost people but puts the emphasis on preaching and God's word, etc...

#8 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

Ephesians 1:13,14

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

"Sensitive" is one of those buzz words liberals love. It means "I'm gonna do what I want, when I want, the way I want. Also, I'm gonna take your kids and push my filthy lifestyle upon them at taxpayer expense and you will be called a bigot and hatemonger or hopefully someday even arrested and have your children put in a foster home (preferably run by homos) if you try to oppose me".

For a modern day Laodicean Christian it means, "I don't want to rock the boat of my comfortable lifestyle and perhaps even be persecuted by being called a few names because I told somebody they need to repent of their filthy behavior."

#9 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

Ephesians 1:13,14

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 July 2012 - 02:54 AM

That this is the best to reach out to the lost for they will not come if they don't feel welcome.

Thank you !

The local church is for the saved. If the lost want to attend one they can but eventually they will be expected to repent of their wicked lifestyle. If they won't let them go to the United Methodist , Episcopalian church or Presbyterian USA church.

#10 Celina Capalad

Celina Capalad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 July 2012 - 03:33 AM

Don't allow other people to make your decision for you (about how you will become "balanced" like them). It sounds to me like those people have compromised. If the Holy Spirit is showing you things that are wrong in your church...listen to Him. He will never lead you astray. He wants to draw you into a closer relationship with Jesus Christ. Whether your feelings are "personal excuses" or direction from Him is for you to determine; however, with what little I know about your situation, it sounds like God is dealing with you about this.

I know this is a tough situation, but my recommendation is for you to try to find an Independent Baptist Church...one that uses the King James Bible, believes in winning the lost, doesn't use entertainment to attract lost people but puts the emphasis on preaching and God's word, etc...

Okay... I will be praying for guidance and courage. I appreciate what you did, [checking through the websites I gave you.,]
It made me see and realize things.

Thank you again.. :P

#11 swathdiver

swathdiver

Surrendered

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
Excellent
  • LocationTreasure Coast

Posted 21 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

I have been bombarded by the ideas of leaving this almost seeker-sensitive megachurch I am currently attending.

I feel like it's not biblically sound,

Enlighten me please... For those who have been supporting me for my church-search, you may notice, this is still my issue.

Don't ignore the promptings of the Holy Spirit, get out!

The reality of the seeker-model is to attract goats and feed their fleshly desires.

#12 NotAshamed

NotAshamed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Good

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

This thread has been dormant for a couple of months, so maybe you've made your decision already. However, I simply want to say that I left a seeker-sensitive church a few years ago, so I know what you're feeling. Like you, I had friends, there. I still maintain some friendships with some of them, though only sporadically. My advice to you is to simply leave. As you've already alluded, conversations you've tried to have with others have only led to frustration. So, I would just quietly make my exit. If you really, really think the Lord is prompting you to speak to the pastor, then do it, but sometimes Proverbs 30:33 is in order:

"Surely the churning of milk bringeth forth butter, and the wringing of the nose bringeth forth blood: so the forcing of wrath bringeth forth strife."

I'm not suggesting there are issues of wrath, here. But I think you get the principle. Unless there are matters requiring us to go to our brother to set things right, sometimes its best just to depart and not bother churning things up by too much talk.

Since we left, we've had quiet conversations with some about why we left and the impact of the conversation actually seems to be more meaningful after the fact. While you're still there too much talk can end up looking like you're trying to create divisions. If you silently leave and don't start a fuss, having conversations later demonstrates to others that you followed through on your convictions, but didn't start a war in the process.

Edited by NotAshamed, 12 September 2012 - 02:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500