Shoppers Get A Surprise As Black Widow Spiders Found In Grapes

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Shoppers get a surprise as black widow spiders found in grapes

First it was venomous Brazilian wandering spiders found on a bunch of bananas. 

Now, the lethal black widow spider has been found on grapes in several supermarkets in Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Posted

About a decade or two ago it was spiders in strawberries.  We didn't have no spiders or bugs on our fruit when they used pesticides and we were the better for it.

Posted

I've founf one of those in my grapes before. Also been bitten by one, but not the one in the grapes.And stung by a scorpion. I love living here!

Also, I think my wife was recently bitten by either a hobo spider or brown recluse-she had a nasty red welt on her stomach, definitely a bite of some sort. We're treating it with high-dose vitamin C and a bandage over it wth castor oil. Looked better after a couple days, swelling was down and red was much less. She was cleaning out an old shed and figued since its so cold, no spiders could be active-but these guys hide deep in things and will stay warmer.

Posted

I was changing my front disc brake pads once and found a big black widow which had built her webs INSIDE the hollow cavities of the brake disc! I bet she had been getting a wild ride. Amazing critter.

Yes they are extremely dangerous. Their venom can destroy massive amounts of tissue around the bite. It's a wonder one of us hasn't been bitten because we find them on the farm all the time.

Posted

From the article:  "So if you encounter a black widow, you are advised not to handle it, but instead capture it in a container and set it free outside."

...or whack it with a shoe.

(See JerryN, I do read the articles. :lol:)

Posted

Around here, black widows get the same treatment as diamondback rattlers......

swathdiver and JerryNumbers like this

Posted

Around here, black widows get the same treatment as diamondback rattlers......

You Shoot them with a shotgun?

bit extreme for a spider don't you think?
:D
heartstrings likes this

Posted (edited)

I've 'dispatched" both indigenous species of rattlesnakes as well as copperheads, cottonmouths and coral snakes with a shotgun a few times; also with a tire iron, a stick, a post, and 'rundnover' several with my truck...just whatever is available....spiders usually meet their demise by a good squashing. Sure hope there ain't no PETA folks reading this.   :eye:

Edited by heartstrings
JerryNumbers likes this

Posted

I've 'dispatched" both indigenous species of rattlesnakes as well as copperheads, cottonmouths and coral snakes with a shotgun a few times; also with a tire iron, a stick, a post, and 'rundnover' several with my truck...just whatever is available....spiders usually meet their demise by a good squashing. Sure hope there ain't no PETA folks reading this.   :eye:

YES! What ever I can put my hands on to get rid of it!

One a few years back on our back pouch I had bent over & looked up & a water moccasin was coming strait at me about 4 foot from me, boy, did I move fast, found my hoe & stopped that thing.

I scared me after it was all over with!

Posted

PETA -- People Eating Tasty Animals

PETA -- Personally Exterminating Troublesome Animals

Miss Daisy likes this