Welcome To The South Facts

73 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

It's too bad there was too much southern in Samson.  Case in point:  

Judges 14:17-18 (KJV)
17  And she wept before him the seven days, while their feast lasted: and it came to pass on the seventh day, that he told her, because she lay sore upon him: and she told the riddle to the children of her people.
18  And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle. 

A thus began the derogatory term for a woman as being called a "cow".  Bet you ladies didn't know that that was thousands of years old.   

Posted · Report post

All I know is that there is no way Paul could have been from Texas.

Philippians 4:11 (KJV

11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.   

No Texan's is ever content to be in any other state.

Just remember that if Alaska was divided in half, Texas would no longer be the 2nd largest state --- but the THIRD largest      :bleh:

Posted · Report post

It's too bad there was too much southern in Samson.  Case in point:  

Judges 14:17-18 (KJV)
17  And she wept before him the seven days, while their feast lasted: and it came to pass on the seventh day, that he told her, because she lay sore upon him: and she told the riddle to the children of her people.
18  And the men of the city said unto him on the seventh day before the sun went down, What is sweeter than honey? and what is stronger than a lion? And he said unto them, If ye had not plowed with my heifer, ye had not found out my riddle. 

A thus began the derogatory term for a woman as being called a "cow".  Bet you ladies didn't know that that was thousands of years old.   

Not so --- she's ain't a cow until she's calved.    Now, why didn't that make it better?????

MountainChristian likes this

Posted · Report post

Don't forget NASCAR was born in the south.

It used to stand for Non Atheletic Sport Centered Around Rednecks before Toyota entered in.

That's just wrong. I should get a whoopin' for that.

How many of you have ever been Snipe Hunting?

That's how I used to break up with girlfriends.....take 'em snipe huntin'.

Don't confuse them snipe with the state bird of NC.....the mosquito.

Smile...God loves you   :D

Posted · Report post

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C.  I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

My hubby is a southern boy at heart.  He uses the word supper and calls pop, "soda."  I have been saying soda for years b/c of him.  Supper has been rubbing off on me, too.   :wink    I hear the word "reckon" from the black Christians in my area.  Also, my church is considered a partial hillbilly church.  It is very down to earth big Biblical words are mispronounced by my pastor sometimes.  He always asked me to correct him, even when he was the assistant pastor, but I never have.  His dad's roots (my first pastor) are in West Virginia.

When we move down to southeastern, OH we will be getting closer to the south.  The church is located in WV, as of now.  Lots of great people in that area. 

Edited by candlelight

Posted · Report post

I live in Georgia, and I can attest to the truth of the OP!

One thing that I've noticed in my area...a lot of folks add an "s" on the end of the names of businesses that don't end with an "s". Such as...

I bought this at Walmarts.

Heard a sermon once against making Bart Simpsons your hero.

Anishinaabe

Posted · Report post

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first.

Semper Fi.

Anishinaabe

Posted · Report post

You are not lying about the mosquitoes in N.C.  I was stationed at Camp Lejeune there, and found there are two types of mosquitoes there; the ones that fly right through a screen door, and the ones that stop and open it first. 

:nuts:

Posted · Report post

I live in an odd area. We are in California, though the most conservative part, in the NE. Our town was built around an Army depot in WW2, and a lot of people came from the south to work here, so it has a somewhat southern flavor to it. On one side of the valley we have Skedaddle Mnt, the other side, Saddleback, (no, not the Rick Warren one). One ares of our town is called Oakie Flats. We often give directions areoun that area using the "Big Ugly Rock" as a major landmark, (we're mostly sand, so a big rock is rare. Its actually an old coral formation from when this entire valley was the northern tip of Lake Lahontan, an ancient inland sea, prOBably a remnant of the eaters receeding from the flood). While there was, in the old days, a large black community, and the whites and blacks worked together, ate together, kids played together, and they all fellowshipped together as equals, even before the civil rights movement.

Sadly, we have gone from a town of 5,000 to maybe 800 today, with the military leaving. The depot is still open but all civilians, like me, working there. We are a shadow of what we once were.

"I live in an odd area. We are in California"

You do realize you could have stopped your post right there..., right?

to you southerners: what is fatback? what's it made of? my black friend was over here yesterday and she was talking about how she missed fatback and turkey wings. She said it was like bacon but didn't know for sure. Then we called walmart see if they sold it, they do but never know when they get it in. I know what chitlins are now and will never eat them! I lived down south and my ex- fiancé always told everyone I was from Illinoise. :)

Edited by Miss Daisy

Posted · Report post

I've lived here all my life and never ate chitlins or possum. We have eaten "cracklins" which are a snack food consisting basically of deep fried "fatback" I think...and cracklin bread is cracklins mixed into fried corn bread.

Though some of them ain't got no great voices, they shore kin make great music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NUGpwPQ1PSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PLBF9FC1FBB2B843B3&v=VwZi-6iOW54

God bless,

Larry

Edited by ThePilgrim

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

to you southerners: what is fatback? what's it made of? my black friend was over here yesterday and she was talking about how she missed fatback and turkey wings. She said it was like bacon but didn't know for sure. Then we called walmart see if they sold it, they do but never know when they get it in. I know what chitlins are now and will never eat them! I lived down south and my ex- fiancé always told everyone I was from Illinoise. :)

When butchering a hog, the fatty layer along the backbone from just behind the neck to just shy of the loins. You remove from the skin for rendering the fat into lard, keep attached to the tissue and muscle along the back for "slab bacon", keep attached to the skin but not the meat for pork rinds.

Fatback is great seasoning when cooked in with your peas (blackeyes, crowders, zippers, etc), pork rinds can be made into cracklins for cornbread.

BTW: I don't like possum, but BBQ coon is good (armadillo makes good chili meat).

Another Southerner singing....

Edited by heartstrings

Posted · Report post

In my opinion, the worst, most numerous, and most relentless mosquitoes are found in northern Scandinavia, northern Russia, and Canada.

American jokes about 'state birds' have nothing on these creatures.

My hubby is a southern boy at heart.  He uses the word supper and calls pop, "soda."  I have been saying soda for years b/c of him.  

For years I called it 'pop', because that was what it was called in the local dialect in which Mrs. Arbo and I lived. Then we moved to northern Wisconsin. 'Pop' is soda. 'Faucets' are spickets(sp?). 'Stop lights' are stop-and-go lights to some. Then there is the 'sparnfarckle'...I do not even know how to spell that one other that phonetically.

If I were not born to an American Mother, and taught English as a child, I am not sure I could do it without going nuts. Edited by Arbo
candlelight likes this

Posted · Report post

Around here, the southern Black folks call it "soda" and us "crackers" call it "col' drank" "co-cola" or just "coke". If you call it "pop" we know you're from up north.

John81, EKSmith, Miss Daisy and 2 others like this

Posted · Report post

You know you are from the Pacific Northwest if:

9. You can taste the difference between Starbucks, Seattle's Best, and 
Veneto's.  Yessir!
10. You know the difference between Chinook, Coho and Sockeye salmon.  Yessir!

11. You know how to pronounce Sequim, Puyallup, Issaquah, Oregon, Yakima 
and Willamette.  It's funny when people from the midwest see Sequim they always pronounce it See-Kwim, prOBably because of how sequin is pronounce.  My grandparents retired to Sequim back in the day, and we lived there for a while as well. I went to one year of high school there.  My mom lives there now.  The Sunshine Belt.  Yes, it rains, but it is truly the most temperate place in the state.  Absolutely love it!  Puyallup - when we lived in Seattle, the school I went to always went to the Puyallup fair every year.  Mom lived in Yakima when she was in high school.  And we visited there a couple of times.  Good apples from that area.  

12. You consider swimming an indoor sport. Well, I don't know - we swam in many a lake and the ocean when we lived in Seattle.
17. You have no concept of humidity without precipitation After having lived in Indiana for 25 years, I can honestly say I truly miss it when the humidity is actually in the form of rain instead of just suffocation!
22. You switch to your sandals when it gets about 60, but keep the socks on.  Nah, no socks.  I wear sandals for as long as I can....

I didn't see this when you first posted it.  :clapping:

my grandpa still calls any soda a "sodie pop"

Edited by Miss Daisy

Posted · Report post

ground hog is good but most people have stopped eating it, its not as greasy as coon.

We had a big church supper where we had ramps, soup beans, corn bread, fatback, eggs, slaw, fried taters, and lots of baked goods.

This is a wiki photo but most fatback looks like this fried.

Young people here want fast food, they don't know good eatin'.

Posted · Report post

ground hog is good but most people have stopped eating it, its not as greasy as coon.

We had a big church supper where we had ramps, soup beans, corn bread, fatback, eggs, slaw, fried taters, and lots of baked goods.

This is a wiki photo but most fatback looks like this fried.

Young people here want fast food, they don't know good eatin'.

what are ramps?