#61 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:50 AM

I never knew that Campbell's Chicken Gumbo soup has okra in it (never had orca...hehe) until I was an adult. I loved that soup as a child - haven't had it in dogs' years, but I think I would still like it.

candle - if you like beans, cornbread, fried taters, you'll be fine.  Ramps aren't universally eaten throughout WV, although most folk who live in the hollers like 'em.  There was nothing my dad liked better than beans and cornbread. If mom fixed fried taters too, he was one happy fella. (and the leftover cornbread was used for dessert...pour syrup on it and he loved it).

Yep, it does.  I love it!  I had never heard of Orca until I married my hubby.  

I love all of those things, HC.  We eat them now.  I also love collard greens.  When I taught in the inner city, the black women would bring them in for International Culture Day.  They also serve them in many places in Cleveland.  I would frequent these places with the teachers for lunch when we had meetings for this and that.  Lots of nutrients in collard greens.  You just made me so hungry when you said cornbread with syrup on it.  Yum!

#62 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:53 AM

Interesting....you could use orca and okra to make a stew.  heh

I will have to tell my FIL.  He prepares the Orca b/c my MIL doesn't care for it, either.  It is the only food she doesn't make.  None of the women in the family like it.  ;)

#63 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 18,032 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:54 AM

I know in and around Clarksburg, Italian food is primo, too.  Hoagies (not the PA kind), made with ground beef or Italian sausage, with red/green peppers in a tomato sauce (with garlic and spices), served on a toasted hoagie bun, with cheese.  Good eating (well, the beef, not the sausage for me).

Most of the food we ate while there was food we enjoyed everywhere else we lived - both south and north.

I don't know that I would like orca, either...I'm not big on trying new foods, especially meat.

#64 ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 14 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

No, it is Orca whale (the killer ones).  They are not on the endangered species list like the white whale.  My FIL gets it at a butcher shop in a neighboring town.  You can also get it at a place called the "West Side Market" near downtown Cleveland.

Actually, I love Okra.  I used to eat it growing up.  I used travel in our camper growing up, and stop at truck stops along the way.  My whole family loved it.  My hubby doesn't care for it, though.  

My humble apologies.  You know what they say about assuming.  :icon_redface:

God bless,

Larry

#65 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2014 - 11:01 AM

I know in and around Clarksburg, Italian food is primo, too.  Hoagies (not the PA kind), made with ground beef or Italian sausage, with red/green peppers in a tomato sauce (with garlic and spices), served on a toasted hoagie bun, with cheese.  Good eating (well, the beef, not the sausage for me).

Most of the food we ate while there was food we enjoyed everywhere else we lived - both south and north.

I don't know that I would like orca, either...I'm not big on trying new foods, especially meat.

Sounds like Cleveland to me!  Yeah, you can find these foods all over the north and south.

My humble apologies.  You know what they say about assuming.  :icon_redface:

God bless,

Larry

No need to apologize, Larry.  :)

#66 heartstrings

heartstrings

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2014 - 12:18 PM

Never tried any Orca, and don't think I would want to, but I sometimes eat small okra pods (salad size) right off the bush in the garden. I like it best boiled whole. 

I never cared for collards but I love Mustard and Turnip greens. We had some of all three in our winter garden along with broccoli, cabbage and three varieties of lettuce. We also have chives, garlic and a 60' row of asparagus which we made from our previous row of about 6' by splitting up the root balls and re-planting. I'm getting ready to put in our (late) spring/summer garden and will be planting bell peppers, tomatoes, okra, peas, sweet corn, lima beans etc.

#67 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,365 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:49 PM

Aren't cracklings what're left over when you render lard? I baked done up in cornbread ... Bit strong for me. Guess I'm no Southerner. :P

We say supper up here, too. :wink

#68 Ukulelemike

Ukulelemike

Just a Servant

• Moderators
  • 2,640 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNE California

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

"I live in an odd area. We are in California"

You do realize you could have stopped your post right there..., right?

You've never been to Herlong, then. It bears mentioning for its oddness.

#69 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

Never tried any Orca, and don't think I would want to, but I sometimes eat small okra pods (salad size) right off the bush in the garden. I like it best boiled whole. 

I never cared for collards but I love Mustard and Turnip greens. We had some of all three in our winter garden along with broccoli, cabbage and three varieties of lettuce. We also have chives, garlic and a 60' row of asparagus which we made from our previous row of about 6' by splitting up the root balls and re-planting. I'm getting ready to put in our (late) spring/summer garden and will be planting bell peppers, tomatoes, okra, peas, sweet corn, lima beans etc.

Orca is an acquired taste, heart.  ;)  I have never tried Mustard and Turnip greens.  Your garden sounds wonderful!  We have many seeds and will plant after Memorial Day.   :hijacked: (somewhat) - The weather is cold and hot here.  In fact, it is quite cold and rainy today.  We are in the middle of tornado season and flooding is everywhere.  A tornado almost touched down on us the other night.  It was circling all over our house.  

Anyhoo, I will have to try Mustard and Turnip greens.  Thank you:) 

#70 DaveW

DaveW

Resident Aussie and general dumb bloke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,463 posts
Excellent
  • LocationI'm a West Aussie

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:08 AM

Never tried any Orca, and don't think I would want to, but I sometimes eat small okra pods (salad size) right off the bush in the garden.......

To continue the misunderstanding....... even a small Orca pod would take some getting through.......... :bleh:

#71 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 18,032 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

I love okra.  I even signed up to receive a huge bag of it as a prize at a bookstore once.  This was before I got my first pair of glasses.  I thought the sign said, "Okra! Win-Free!"  I found out a few weeks later that I had signed up for a seminar about new age religions.

:nuts:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500