#1 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:46 AM

Any good bible preaching messages out there, on getting angry for Christ?  Strong, True, good old days preaching. Like the ones the late Dr.Art Wilson uses too preach. Messages that made you really think.

178-AW%201997.jpg
                                               ( 1912-2003 )

In memory of the late Evangelist, Dr.Art Wilson Devotionals

Visit Home Page at  http://www.drartwilson.com/  

Edited by The Glory Land, 01 February 2014 - 07:57 AM.

#2 John81

John81

Running to Win

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57,684 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

Why would one need to be angry to preach good?

#3 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWest Side Suburb of Cleveland, OH

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:44 AM

Why would one need to be angry to preach good?

Many preachers get worked up when preaching.  They get very passionate.  I love that.  However, angry isn't a word I would describe it as.

#4 AVBibleBeliever

AVBibleBeliever

A True AV Bible Believer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
Excellent
  • Google+ Profile:arched@live.com
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

Are you implying preachers today need to be more cynical and cantankerous?

#5 ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:54 AM

Ephesians 4:26 Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath:

How does this verse relate? Or does it?

God bless,

Larry

#6 Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts
Excellent
  • LocationUSA

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

We had Ted Alexander a few months ago come and preach. He's a real yeller, screamer, etc. He's an evangelist and he's great. I could not handle that much yelling on a regular basis every Sunday and Wed. but that's his job is to come and get people stirred up. My pastor gets pretty fiery on his own, not angry, but you know the Spirit's got a hold of him when he preaches!

#7 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Resident Liberal

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Excellent
  • LocationChicago suburbs

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

We had Ted Alexander a few months ago come and preach. He's a real yeller, screamer, etc. He's an evangelist and he's great. I could not handle that much yelling on a regular basis every Sunday and Wed. but that's his job is to come and get people stirred up. My pastor gets pretty fiery on his own, not angry, but you know the Spirit's got a hold of him when he preaches!

When preachers yell over things that are not Scriptural, that becomes more entertainment preaching, you know preaching that tickles ears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUtSjmPqa-I

#8 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Resident Liberal

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

#9 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Resident Liberal

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

i like a preacher that has a tendency to yell, Paul Washer

#10 AVBibleBeliever

AVBibleBeliever

A True AV Bible Believer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts
Excellent
  • Google+ Profile:arched@live.com
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:21 PM

Philip 2:5-7  Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Philip 3:17 ΒΆ Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
2Thess 3:9 Not because we have not power, but to make ourselves an ensample unto you to follow us

I know the context of the above verses don't directly apply but the broader understanding of following the example of others is there.

So when we read the scriptures though John the baptist alluded to him as one crying in the wilderness I don't think he ever yelled and screamed as they do today.  I don't think Jesus or Paul did either as I find no place where any of the apostles or disciples did.

So why are men today screaming and yelling in the Pulpit?

1Cor 14:37-40 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.  But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.  Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.  Let all things be done decently and in order.

Does it seem to go against the commandment to do all things decently and in order.  Yelling and screaming is not a decent or an orderly activity would you not agree?

Edited by AVBibleBeliever, 01 February 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#11 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 57,684 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

In many pulpits there is much emotionalism, it just comes in different forms in different churches. Many support the kind in their own churches even while denouncing that which is done in other churches.

One should be able to have self-control as they preach and should be able to get their message across without screaming and theatrics.

We should hope a preacher is seeking the guidance of the Lord when they preach, and God speaks in a still, small voice, so how is a yelling preacher to hear the Spirit and be guided by Him?

#12 "I am chief"

"I am chief"

1 Tim. 1:15

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

There is nothing at all unscriptural about being angry at sin. I get angry at my sin all the time; sin causing others to avoid the truth of God's word makes me angry too.

#13 DaveW

DaveW

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

Does God ONLY speak in a still small voice?

I see nothing wrong with enthusiastic preaching, but I have seen plenty which is loud and only loud......

Some seem to think that loud = spiritual, but sometimes it is just loud.

And some people are more "theatrical", while others are more sedate.
The Lord made us all different, and He made us so that He could use us.

The issue should not be loud or otherwise, but Spirit led or not.....
  • Zed likes this

#14 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 57,684 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:54 PM

In todays churches there is no need to even raise ones voice much for everyone to be able to hear; especially if the church happens to have microphones. Considering this I find it interesting when reading of some of the great preachers of the past who spoke outdoors to huge crowds and it was recorded that he could be heard plainly way at the back of the crowd even though he never shouted or yelled.

DaveW, we are probably close in agreement, but it would be difficult to discuss the nuances of how exactly we are using certain words and just what we mean by them.

Myself, I don't see the benefit in a preacher turning red in the face, foaming at the mouth, screaming so loud it sounds as if his throat might rupture, spitting all over the place, running around like a monkey at the zoo, banging on things, kicking, and even sometimes running into the pews.

I've heard Baptist pastors who preach along those lines actually give a sermon against Pentecostal pastors for moving fast across the platform and raising their voices to a shout sometimes. :scratchchin:

#15 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

In todays churches there is no need to even raise ones voice much for everyone to be able to hear; especially if the church happens to have microphones. Considering this I find it interesting when reading of some of the great preachers of the past who spoke outdoors to huge crowds and it was recorded that he could be heard plainly way at the back of the crowd even though he never shouted or yelled.

DaveW, we are probably close in agreement, but it would be difficult to discuss the nuances of how exactly we are using certain words and just what we mean by them.

Myself, I don't see the benefit in a preacher turning red in the face, foaming at the mouth, screaming so loud it sounds as if his throat might rupture, spitting all over the place, running around like a monkey at the zoo, banging on things, kicking, and even sometimes running into the pews.

I've heard Baptist pastors who preach along those lines actually give a sermon against Pentecostal pastors for moving fast across the platform and raising their voices to a shout sometimes. :scratchchin:

John, you are hilarious!  So true, brother.

#16 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:32 PM

Jeffrey, I watched the first video and I couldn't believe it.  Total obnoxiousness and not a word on the Bible.

The second video, at least the preacher was soft spoken, but he shouldn't have called that man out.

Phil Kidd is wrong on so many levels.  I have no respect for him as a preacher.  No word of God in his message, either.

Edited by candlelight, 01 February 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#17 heartstrings

heartstrings

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

I've heard Bro Kidd say some things that should not have been said, and that I would not repeat. But my Wife was saved after hearing his preaching, many years ago, so I will just give God the credit and say that God sometimes uses crooked sticks to draw straight lines. 

Edited by heartstrings, 01 February 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#18 Zed

Zed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:56 PM

I confess I don't like preachers who get loud for the sake of being loud.

However, as long as they are preaching FROM THE BIBLE, and not just from their own pool of 'wisdom'. That's good.

I hate it when people just rant and rave about what amounts to 'their own opinion'. (If it is God's Word, that's a different matter.) 

I also hate it when we go to fellowship meetings, and the preacher preaches about things like abortion or the KJV Bible (things which everyone in our circles agree on). These messages seem to devolve into what I like to call "Amen fests", with little to take out of the message except a sense of pride in that "I have the truth". (Actually that "Obama is a Muslim" video is exactly the sort of thing I'm talking about)

Now, I'm not saying these issues aren't important, but when you are pretty much guaranteed to have at least one message that touches on these things EACH YEAR at these meetings... aren't there issues more relevant to those who already hold to the same stance as you?

Anyway, to clarify my position: I'm not so much against someone getting loud, as much as getting loud for no reason, or only to rant and rave about issues that everyone agrees on. If they are preaching God's Truth, and not man's truth, they can get as loud as they feel they need to.

#19 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Jeffrey, I watched the first video and I couldn't believe it. Total obnoxiousness and not a word on the Bible.

The second video, at least the preacher was soft spoken, but he shouldn't have called that man out.

Phil Kidd is wrong on so many levels. I have no respect for him as a preacher. No word of God in his message, either.

You can preach the truth with out opening the bible, I am sure he does preach using it.Talking from the heart, or sharing life experience can help the weaker soul or weak Christians. Preach it pastor Kidd. Thumbs up.

#20 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Does God ONLY speak in a still small voice?

I see nothing wrong with enthusiastic preaching, but I have seen plenty which is loud and only loud......

Some seem to think that loud = spiritual, but sometimes it is just loud.

And some people are more "theatrical", while others are more sedate.
The Lord made us all different, and He made us so that He could use us.

The issue should not be loud or otherwise, but Spirit led or not.....

True

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500