#41 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

This^^, I think all to often this is what confuses people. Repentance begins with a changing of ones mind, then the action of sanctification follows.

Amen, Jeffrey!  I have posted this before, but I think it explains very well, what true repentance is.  I was struggling with this, on how to lead people to Christ.  I had studied the false doctrine of "Lordship Salvation" and entered upon this.  This is backed up by the KJV.

Forms of the word "repent" or "repentance" are used in the New Testament 66 times in 60 verses. The majority of the time it is translated from the Greek words metanoia; noun, and metanoeo, verb. It simply means "to change one's mind." The object of the change of mind has to be determined by the context. A person can repent or change his mind about anything. Sorrow or a changed life after repentance may or may not occur but it is not in the meaning of the word itself. As opposed to the OT, the words used in the Greek NT for repent/repentance are consistently translated as such. Six of the occurrences in the New Testament "repent" are translated from a form of the Greek word "metamelomai" and it can have a meaning of "caring afterwards, or "regret."Many times the unsaved person is exhorted by well-meaning pastors and Bible teachers to "repent of their sins and believe in Jesus in order to receive eternal life. This message is so widespread that we tend to assume that it is in the Bible. The terms "repent of sin" or "repentance of sin" are not even to be found in God's word!

Though the terms "repent of sin" and "repentance of sin" are not to be found in the Bible, the concept of repentance of sin is found. Usually, this is a message for those who have already believed in Jesus and have eternal life. Some examples of this are: 1. Simon the sorcerer in Acts, Chapter 8. In verse 12 and 13, we read that Simon believed in Jesus along with others. In verses 18 and 19, Simon then sees the phenomenon of the Holy Spirit being given and offers the Apostles money so that he could have the same power. Peter admonishes his and tells him to "repent of this thy wickedness," and pray that he might be forgiven. Please note that this is speaking of a believer’s forgiveness, not an unsaved persons’ justification. Forgiveness is a fellowship issue, not a forensic issue. 2. In 2 Corinthians 7:8-10, Paul rejoices that the believers "sorrowed to repentance" concerning the carnal lifestyle that they were embracing. Verse 10 states in part, "For godly sorrow worketh repentance (metanoia) to salvation not to be repented (metamellomai) of...." Note that the text does not say that godly sorrow is repentance. 3. In 2 Corinthians 12:21, we find the Apostle Paul lamenting that he might find the Corinthian believers still in a deplorable state of disobedient Christian living. He mourns that some "have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed." 4. In Revelation, Chapters 2 and 3, we find admonitions to believers in five of the seven churches to repent of specifically mentioned patterns of sin in which they were engaged. None of the above instances did the repentance have anything to do with them being eternally saved. 5. Even in Luke 15, there is good reason to believe that the two references to the “joy in heaven over one sinner who repents,” (verses 7, 10) are frequently misused; as both of them are referring to straying believers and have nothing to do with an unsaved person becoming justified in God’s sight (just as the “prodigal” son later in the same chapter who remained a son, though a disobedient and straying one, until he repented and judged his sin). 6. Repentance is also commanded to a crowd of unknown spiritual status in order to avoid God’s temporal judgment. For example, a pair of often misused verses is Luke 13:35; “I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.” The word “likewise” should tell us something about the meaning of the exhortation. Both verses refer in the context to those who experienced sudden and calamitous deaths. Verse four implies that this exhortation is addressed to them because of their ungodly attitude about their own sin. This prophecy was most likely fulfilled during the siege of Jerusalem by Titus in 70 AD (verses 34, 35). According to Josephus, around 1,100,000 Jews died during this Roman siege. Please note also, that the one requirement for eternal justification given over 150 times in the NT; belief, is not mentioned once in this passage. It is not a passage telling us how to be eternally saved. 6. In Revelation 9; 20, 21 and 16:9, 11, we find examples of God's temporal judgment upon the unbeliever for not forsaking mentioned patterns of sin. This again is not in the context of believing in Jesus and receiving eternal life. This also is referring to what will occur during the Great Tribulation period. Some who proclaim the message of "repent of sin and believe in Jesus" legitimately lament the sad state of the average believer and even the general condition of the body of Christ today. With some, the rationale seems to be that since believers are living such a carnal lifestyle, that we need to make it "hard" to get saved; that they need to have some level of obedience to Jesus before they even receive that gift of eternal life. If we have to earn it, it no longer is a gift.

#42 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,420 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:34 AM

Candle! I like that! What's the source?

#43 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:11 AM

His name is Bill Fallon, Salyan.  Below is his source.  If I remember correctly, I paraphrased what he wrote.  There is one on the Old Testament, as well.

http://www.freegrace...twordstudy.pdf 

#44 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:15 AM

Hmmm.  That link didn't post.  Let me see if this works.  If not, you can find Bill Fallon (on repentance) on the Internet.

http://www.freegrace...ntwordstudy.pdf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500