Taken Your Children Out Of Christian School Can Be Good

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Thanks, while home schooling for you went well, can you share somethings that you mist having or doing as a kid? This can help others.

I feel like I missed out by not being home schooled.

Posted (edited)

I was an inner city public school teacher for 16 years.  I taught in the RCC for two years prior to that.  The Cleveland Municipal School District hired me, based on my training and experience in the parochial school - and where I graduated from college - before I sat down for the interview.  The problem with public school is that it is government controlled.  I was, however, able to take some kids to my IFB church after they were in middle and high school.  My former students kept in touch with me for sometime.  They wanted to go, based on me showing how a Christian should live, while I taught 5th grade.  I didn't have to say a word.  Also, b/c of that, the Lord opened doors for me to witness to children, without saying a thing to them.  They brought up God in their writing assignments.  We said the Pledge of Allegiance every day and said, "God bless America."

My son is 23 years old.  I taught in the CMSD when I got off maternity leave.  My ex husband was starting another business and I had to work to feed the family and pay the bills.  My son went to Montessori School from Pre-K through 3rd grade for the "sponge years" as they call it.  We took him out of Montessori School b/c the tuition was extremely high.  I payed for day care and my ex husband payed for private education.  He attended public school from 4th grade through 12th grade in a very affluent suburb, which is the best in the state of OH.  Although, after 9th grade his dad started a business in NC.  My son wanted to move with his dad, and after much prayer, I agreed as I thought he would resent me if I didn't let him go.  His dad is not remarried, and my son did not want him to go alone.  He was miserable in NC.  My ex husband's attorney ordered my ex to send him back to me, otherwise he would give me full custody.  He came home, and my ex came back 6 months later.  However, due to his dad being unsaved, he stopped going to church. 

By the time my son was in middle school, my ex husband became wealthy off the businesses he had been starting and selling.  My hubby and I couldn't afford to send our son to college.  He went to Ohio State University for three years and was miserable.  He wanted to go to OSU since he was 4.  He was sadly disappointed.  He was home just about every weekend, as he was homesick.  He is finishing up college at Cleveland State University with a graduate degree in Marketing.  He lost credits when he transferred from OSU to CSU.  He commutes and will finish this summer.  If my hubby and I would have had the money, we would have sent him to Christian college.  He can't wait to get out of college, as it is very worldly.  He has never had a girlfriend, didn't attend Prom in high school, never joined a Fraternity, etc.  He just wants to get out of college, start working, and get to married to an IFB girl.  He also wants to be the breadwinner in the family.

Each parent has to make their own decision based on many things.  As long as you provide your child with a strong Christian home, I don't see the problem.    

Edited by candlelight

Posted

Thanks, while home schooling for you went well, can you share somethings that you mist having or doing as a kid? This can help others.

I'm not Zed, but can I answer too? :wink

Why the negative approach? Anything I missed having or doing as a kid was stuff that we couldn't afford and that school wouldn't have provided anyways (like trips to the mountains, etc.). I loved the extra time that we got as homeschoolers (couldn't imagine being stuck in a classroom for 7 hours to do what I could get finished in 3), and the freedom to go to historical sites during school hours (as opposed to on weekends when they are overrun with visitors - didn't appreciate that one until I started working!). I liked being able to plan sleepovers with my friends, then stay up late and get our school done so we could play all the next day! Any particular lessons I wanted (art, music, skiing, swimming, what have you) were available through the local outreach school program, or organized by the homeschool group. I enjoyed teaching myself high school history, assigning my own projects and being able to present my worldview without censoring it for a dissenting teacher. I certainly didn't miss the social pressure and bullying of the schools.

candlelight and The Glory Land like this

Posted

I don't think I missed out on anything in particular. Education-wise I made it into University, so I'm not lacking there.

The only thing is the extra possible witness that I may have been, but I have that at work (I work at a fast food restaurant over here).

Posted

There are things my son wishes he could have missed...

Posted

I always enjoy reading the educational experiences of others and find it to be quite diverse.  My husband and I were reared in different parts of the country; he is from a rural area and I am from a large city.  We are products of public education, although I went to a Christian college.  He graduated from a federal academy, then went to a state university and a private medical university.  But, we chose home education at a time when it was not common (1980) because we wanted more for our children than what the public systems were offering.  A military career kept us on the move and home schooling was a perfect choice for us.  We continued for 20 years and have also been very satisfied with the Christian school located in the area where we settled.  

An observation from 17 years as a junior church teacher of varied home school, Christian school and public school children: it is the parent's influence and involvement in the lives of their children which has the greatest impact.  A lazy parent seems to get about the same results whether they home school or the child gets himself to the school bus.  Attentive parents will usually produce a well-educated child at home or in a local school.  I can add that a mix of attentive parents and dedicated teachers can result in an awesome Christian school experience. 

DaveW and candlelight like this

Posted

I always enjoy reading the educational experiences of others and find it to be quite diverse. My husband and I were reared in different parts of the country; he is from a rural area and I am from a large city. We are products of public education, although I went to a Christian college. He graduated from a federal academy, then went to a state university and a private medical university. But, we chose home education at a time when it was not common (1980) because we wanted more for our children than what the public systems were offering. A military career kept us on the move and home schooling was a perfect choice for us. We continued for 20 years and have also been very satisfied with the Christian school located in the area where we settled.

An observation from 17 years as a junior church teacher of varied home school, Christian school and public school children: it is the parent's influence and involvement in the lives of their children which has the greatest impact. A lazy parent seems to get about the same results whether they home school or the child gets himself to the school bus. Attentive parents will usually produce a well-educated child at home or in a local school. I can add that a mix of attentive parents and dedicated teachers can result in an awesome Christian school experience.

I have said similar sentiments and been taken to task over it, but I agree wholeheartedly.

Posted

Around 10th grade, putting them in public schools can prepare them better for college. How to deal with the real World, people that are normal and wierd. How to practice all what they have learned to now. They will get a little dirty, but this will do them well.Remember when you got a little dirty, but your doing just fine now. Don't make them weak to the pray.

That's very foolish and contrary to God's Word.  Such is akin to throwing raw recruits onto the front lines of battle.  They'll get chewed up and scarred for life, if they survive.  God's plan is better.

Posted

I know I'm coming into this thread rather late, but wanted to add a thought that should be able to guide just about everyone in such a decision:

Can you undo/correct in the 4ish hours in the evening with your children what your schooling method does to them during the 8ish hours at school? I'm not talking about math and reading skills, I'm talking about life influences they get from friends, other classmates, and even some of the curriculum. God is distinctly absent from public schools and most private schools that are not attached to a church. Therefore, whether you send your kids to public or private school or homeschool them, you have to ensure first and foremost you are able to keep them spiritually grounded. It doesn't matter if how well your child is educated if they soak up so much of the world that they walk away frrom Christ. After you've answered that question, only then should quality of education be important. Certainly, financial and living situations can dictate what options you have, but this question should be applied to all available options.

Matthew:33-34

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Posted

For all you who are opposed to government run schools....

Moses was raised in a government run school.  A worldly school that taught about Egyptian gods, and other things, as well as a very good education in science, math, language, etc.  God placed Moses there.

Daniel was educated in the Babylonian schools.  God placed him there.  He took the good parts of the education, but only did not go along when it violated his faith in God.

God places many good families in public schools today.  God can use us in the midst of other beliefs and lifestyles we may not agree with.  

Moses and Daniel didn't have an option, silly excuse you pose.  As to your last, the Lord doesn't place kids in public school because that would be contrary to his Word, you make him a liar.  

It hasn't happened for you yet, you're young and foolish, but someday, I hope, that you see the error of your ways and repent.  Hopefully before the world finishes devouring your children.

Posted

Moses and Daniel didn't have an option, silly excuse you pose.  As to your last, the Lord doesn't place kids in public school because that would be contrary to his Word, you make him a liar.  

It hasn't happened for you yet, you're young and foolish, but someday, I hope, that you see the error of your ways and repent.  Hopefully before the world finishes devouring your children.

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.  I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine.

Posted

Well, we will just have to agree to disagree.  I'm not changing your mind, and you aren't changing mine.

If the King James Bible was your final authority for all matters of faith and practice then you'd be on God's side.

Posted

If the King James Bible was your final authority for all matters of faith and practice then you'd be on God's side.

I don't see that God has "sides" as you put it, in this issue.  We all find ourselves in different places in life.  Being on God's side is accepting where we are at in life, and demonstrating his love and compassion to people around us.  So in that regard, I am on "God's side."  

I find myself in a particular situation in life over which I have no control.  What I have control over is my response.  Right now, God calls me and my family to have our children in our local public neighborhood school.  It is where he has placed us to be salt and light to the world, and we are loving the people around us.  

As long as God is happy with me, which I believe he is, I don't need anyone else's approval or thoughts. Think what you will.  It really doesn't bother me at all.

Posted

I don't see that God has "sides" as you put it, in this issue.  We all find ourselves in different places in life.  Being on God's side is accepting where we are at in life, and demonstrating his love and compassion to people around us.  So in that regard, I am on "God's side."  

I find myself in a particular situation in life over which I have no control.  What I have control over is my response.  Right now, God calls me and my family to have our children in our local public neighborhood school.  It is where he has placed us to be salt and light to the world, and we are loving the people around us.  

As long as God is happy with me, which I believe he is, I don't need anyone else's approval or thoughts. Think what you will.  It really doesn't bother me at all.

The Lord certainly has sides.  Them that are saved and them that are lost.  There are those in fellowship with God and those who have broken fellowship.  

The Lord will not have you send your kids to be indoctrinated in the devil's ways at government school, it is contrary to His Word.  God would not have you reading Egyptian Bibles and fellowshipping with false "churches".  Those are your errors and contrary to His Word.  

To those who may not know me, I made these same mistakes and with some took a long time to learn the right way too.

I'm not going to change your mind but I will reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering.  Christians cannot let your errors stand otherwise some may be deceived as well.  Once you surrender your will, then you will change by the power of the Holy Ghost.  

Posted

The Lord certainly has sides.  Them that are saved and them that are lost.  There are those in fellowship with God and those who have broken fellowship.  

The Lord will not have you send your kids to be indoctrinated in the devil's ways at government school, it is contrary to His Word.  God would not have you reading Egyptian Bibles and fellowshipping with false "churches".  Those are your errors and contrary to His Word.  

To those who may not know me, I made these same mistakes and with some took a long time to learn the right way too.

I'm not going to change your mind but I will reprove, rebuke and exhort with all long suffering.  Christians cannot let your errors stand otherwise some may be deceived as well.  Once you surrender your will, then you will change by the power of the Holy Ghost.  

At school the kids learn reading, writing mathematics, science, history, foreign languages.  They learn about the earth and natural laws that God has created.  They are learning the same things there as they would in a private Christian school, minus the religious education, which I can assure you they are getting at home and church.  

So, we are giving them a foundation for life.  We are completely involved in their education.  We know their teacher.  Help in the classroom at times.  Know the kids in the school.  Know the administration.  We work together for the better future of the children.

That is where God has placed me at this phase in my life.  To be "salt and light" to the world in which I live, and that happens to be in my neighborhood school.  We have had families come to church with us we met at school.  We have developed great relationships with people of different backgrounds.  It is a good thing.  It is being a part of the community God put me in.

So if that is going astray, so be it.  I am happy.  My family is happy.  I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.  My daughter has really become very confident in herself, her reading and mathematics has progressed leaps and bounds, and she has really blossomed in her school.  It is good for her.  

So I am sorry you see things the way you do.  Each family must follow God within the community in which they live.  That is exactly what I am doing.

Posted

I'm not Zed, but can I answer too? :wink

Why the negative approach? Anything I missed having or doing as a kid was stuff that we couldn't afford and that school wouldn't have provided anyways (like trips to the mountains, etc.). I loved the extra time that we got as homeschoolers (couldn't imagine being stuck in a classroom for 7 hours to do what I could get finished in 3), and the freedom to go to historical sites during school hours (as opposed to on weekends when they are overrun with visitors - didn't appreciate that one until I started working!). I liked being able to plan sleepovers with my friends, then stay up late and get our school done so we could play all the next day! Any particular lessons I wanted (art, music, skiing, swimming, what have you) were available through the local outreach school program, or organized by the homeschool group. I enjoyed teaching myself high school history, assigning my own projects and being able to present my worldview without censoring it for a dissenting teacher. I certainly didn't miss the social pressure and bullying of the schools.

You missed out on all Obama's free style benefits... :(  

Posted

They are learning the same things there as they would in a private Christian school, minus the religious education, which I can assure you they are getting at home and church.  

No, they are getting confused and not the same education as children in a proper Christian school.  First, they are being taught evolution all day long, it's interwoven into the curriculum of all subjects.  Second, they are not being taught critical thinking, but to be liberal activist drones.  The sodomite agenda and all manner of other unGodly things are being drummed into them all day long.  Then you spend hours trying to undo or add to what they learned in school each day?  It's just ridiculous.

My churches academy for example, weaves God and Christians into every subject, not secular humanism.  Science is not taught from the make believe world of the evolution believing humanists, but through God and the Scriptures.

Using Egyptian bibles, attending a rock-n-roll synagogue of satan, sending your kids to Godless government schools, voting Democrat, supporting the murder of the unborn and all other liberal political and social causes is a sure fire way to separate yourself from the God of the Bible.

kindofblue1977, on 07 Feb 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:

I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.

Here's the underlying problem again KOB, you're trusting in your heart and not in God's Word.  What sayeth the Lord about our hearts again???

Posted

It depends on your area, I think.  Here, the only public schools even remotely "good" are the ones in rich school districts.  The others are not so good, and the closer to Philly you get, the more miserable the public schools are.  Our kids are in Christian school, but it is a lot of money (even for the discount we receive) and there are still "bad" kids there, so my kids still have to learn that we don't do what all the other families do (even though that's not easy most of the time).

I can't imagine sending my kids to a public school in my area.  If we were more rural or in a more conservative area...then maybe I'd consider it.  However to me, one of the worst parts of public school is the humanistic philosophy, the evolution teaching, and the sex education.  I get more upset about those things than I do the other kids, in general, I think.

Posted

I live in a very rural, conservative area and the public schools here are filled with the same anti-God, pro-sin garbage as everywhere else across the country.

Pastor Scott Markle likes this

Posted

I live in a very rural, conservative area and the public schools here are filled with the same anti-God, pro-sin garbage as everywhere else across the country.

Hm.  Okay...good to know....

I sure wish Christian education wasn't so expensive.  Ugh.

Posted

Yes, there is the price factor for Christian schools and also the problem of finding a truly good Christian school; and in more rural areas, even finding a Christian school in the area.

A local church started a Christian school, at first for their own congregation but then opened to others. At first there was much excitement and many in the church enrolled their children in their church school. The church did a great job of hiring godly teachers and getting good Christian material for the classrooms.

This worked well into their second year and then it seems worldly desires began moving through many of the parents as they began lamenting the lack of sports programs. What began as a means of protecting the children from the wickedness all about and providing them with a solid Christian education and upbringing devolved into fights over sports. Most parents took their children out and put them in public school so they could get their children into sports. With only a very small handful of students remaining the church school was forced to shut down and the great fight over sports ripped the church apart and the church closed its doors.

Posted

How awful! Talk about having messed up priorities...

Posted

I agree. Unfortunately it's not an isolated problem, it seems to permeate churches.

For some reason it's come to be viewed as depriving children if they are not involved in school sports. While the reasons are always claimed to be "for the children", often the parents desire to have their children be little sports stars is a driving factor. Some also use the argument that their children must participate in sports so they can try and get a sports scholarship to some worldly college.

If all of this means sacrificing church attendance, if it means sacrificing a Christian education and/or upbringing, if it means their children learning the ways of the world, many Christian parents  say "so be it".

When we had local schools there was never a chance of school activities being held at a time that would interfere with or compete with church. Ever since the schools have consolidated this has changed. First they began to schedule things on Wednesday nights. Basically not a peep from Christian parents against this. Now they also hold a few things on Sundays, including a sports banquet where awards are passed out.

Our pastor attempted to fight this when it first came about. He attended a school board meeting on the topic but was unable to get even a single other area pastor to also attend. He wrote letters to the editor of the local papers. He tried to rally Christian parents. All to no avail. Sports seems to trump everything and even most pastors are unwilling to speak against this.

To make the matter even more shameful, most of those in the school sports programs are professing Christians so even if half or even a fourth took a stand against events being scheduled during church time the schools would have complied for the sake of wanting winning teams. Yet no fight, not even a whimper of protest from Christian parents.

Posted

No, they are getting confused and not the same education as children in a proper Christian school.  First, they are being taught evolution all day long, it's interwoven into the curriculum of all subjects.  Second, they are not being taught critical thinking, but to be liberal activist drones.  The sodomite agenda and all manner of other unGodly things are being drummed into them all day long.  Then you spend hours trying to undo or add to what they learned in school each day?  It's just ridiculous.

My churches academy for example, weaves God and Christians into every subject, not secular humanism.  Science is not taught from the make believe world of the evolution believing humanists, but through God and the Scriptures.

Using Egyptian bibles, attending a rock-n-roll synagogue of satan, sending your kids to Godless government schools, voting Democrat, supporting the murder of the unborn and all other liberal political and social causes is a sure fire way to separate yourself from the God of the Bible.

kindofblue1977, on 07 Feb 2014 - 3:10 PM, said:

I believe in my heart that we are doing just what God wants us to be doing in this phase of life.

Here's the underlying problem again KOB, you're trusting in your heart and not in God's Word.  What sayeth the Lord about our hearts again???

Our minds are so far apart I have a very difficult time understanding where you are coming from.  

Egyptian Bibles?  Never heard of them.

Rock n roll synagogue of Satan?  That doesn't ever remotely describe my church.  Far from it.  

I don't know where you get that I support abortion.  I have never done so, so you must be thinking of someone else.  

I've voted Democrat from time to time.  As I have voted Republican from time to time.  But really, I've sworn off politics.  It is outside of my area of influence so I no longer take sides and get worked up over it.  All it is good for is making people angry and stirring them up.  

Yes I send my children to public schools.  I have no other option..  Private schools in my area run around $12-$15,000 per child just for tuition.  That doesn't include books, uniforms, etc. Your judgmental attitude towards people is completely uncalled for and useless.  Fortunately, I am secure in my decisions and could care less what you think.  But talking that way to someone who is insecure could really harm them, and quite honestly push them away from Christ.  

I've heard in this thread that children in public schools are "filth."  Calling someone's children "filth" is a great way to show the love of Christ to people.  Telling someone who is doing their best to raise their children, and sending them to public schools is "godless," is not only an ignorant statement, but potentially hurtful.  Making assumptions about people when you have never stepped foot in their church, never stepped foot in the school their children attend is completely off base.  

God uses people where they are. God gives us all different stations in life.  It is our duty to be faithful to him in that station.  Daniel found himself in a Babylonian school.  He learned what they taught and grew to be a great leader.  He was faithful to God where the school he attended caused him to violate what God told him.  Joseph was a servant in an Egyptian house.  He was faithful to God, where he was and in his station in life.  God blessed him for his faithfulness. I could go on and on with examples.  

God gives us all different stations in life.  Like Joseph, sometimes those stations move and change.  When our station changes, we remain faithful.  some of us are low income.  Some are high income and wealthy. Others are middle class.  Some do what is right for their children by homeschooling.  Other families that is not an option so public school is the only option. Some are wealthy enough to afford private school.  Some are doctors.  Others are plumbers.  Others are garbage collectors.  

None of that matters.  What matters is that we grow in the love of God, and show God's love to those around us. We are to love all people.  Without some good Christian families in public schools, there would be no one being salt and light there..  As salt is scattered to season food, God scatters his followers in different stations to spread is love to all mankind.  

I judge no one for what they do or don't do.  That is between them and God.  God does not call us to judge.  He calls us to spread the love of Christ here on earth.  That is it.  God calls me to use my sphere of influence to spread love, joy, peace and the other fruits of the spirit to to them.  

So having said, that, it appears we are miles and miles apart.  You go your way, and I'll go mine.  We will each follow God as he leads  and directs us.  But I must say, you should not judge people for how they choose to educate their children.  You never know their financial or family situation, and making assumptions can lead to hurtful words that may make some people resent what they believe Christians represent.

Posted

But I must say, you should not judge people for how they choose to educate their children.  You never know their financial or family situation, and making assumptions can lead to hurtful words that may make some people resent what they believe Christians represent.

:goodpost:

HappyChristian likes this