Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

193 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

That's not it at all. Unsaved family and friends quit associating with me. I have made attempts at witnessing when the opportunity arose.
We are also called to be separate. One who is saved should not put him/herself intentionally into a situation where his/her testimony could be questioned, nor should he/she do, say or act as the worldly sinful world. One who truly loves Jesus will want to honor him and strive not to sin (although none of us are perfect) and strive to do ones best to glorify Him.

Yeah.  I wonder if some people on this site understand what it means to be Biblically separate.  They don't seem separate when they call names or think they're better.  They seem like the world to me.

Posted · Report post

I don't believe that if a person is not an IFB and does not hold to the KJV is a "heretic."  I believe that a person can be saved, using any Bible.  In fact, my MIL was saved when my husband was one years old, while she was holding him in a rocking chair.  A Pentacostal woman had been witnessing to her for some time.  She prayed to Jesus and He saved her right then and there.  I was saved, after many Christians had witnessed to me, in the hospital.  I trusted Jesus Christ as my Personal Saviour, after an Epileptic seizure.  I wanted to get in touch with my son.  He was with one of my lost friends.  It was that day that she decided she didn't want to associate with me anymore.  My son was staying the night at her house, as my ex husband let him.  She is a smoker, and I told her that I didn't want my child to be around a chain smoker anymore.  I never smoked, but for some reason the Holy Spirit convicted me to speak with her about it.  Thankfully, my unsaved ex husband complied with my request and picked him up right away.  He doesn't smoke, either.

I chose to be a member of an IFB church b/c I love the teaching.  I have studied Baptist history and believe the Lord led me to my church.  I also chose the KJV, b/c it is the only Bible that has ever made any sense to me.  I have read Modern Versions and I don't understand them.  

Great.  I've read other posters that state otherwise.  Someone in another thread welcomed someone by saying if they read the KJ then they will welcome them with open arms.  So if you don't, I guess you're not welcome.

Posted · Report post

Jesus's entire life, works, and words were a rebuke of the sinner.  I know even though I am a Christian when I look at Him, my life is rebuked.

God bless,
Larry

That's not rebuke for you, that just realizing that you can't live up to God's holiness.
Specifically, in Scripture, where does Jesus rebuke "sinners"? I see Him rebuking Pharisses, matter of fact I recall he forgave a woman caught in the act of adultery!

Posted · Report post

Perhaps to some, GS. But not all have said that or even indicated that type of thing.  In every forum, there is a conglomerate of people, all of whom have their own practices and beliefs, hopefully based on scriptural principle, but all too often filtered through each one's lens of experience (or even teachings exposed to).  Some are harsh and abrupt, sappy and kind, striving for balance, etc.

None of us are perfect.  Well, I'm close. BWAHAHAHAHAHA....

Jeffery, I would say that "go, and sin no more" is a rebuke, even if a mild one...

Posted · Report post

Can you show me where He rebuked them?

I can think of the adulterous woman at the well and the rich young ruler.  

My husband told me long ago, that I would loose all my worldly friends.  He told me it is a part of being a follower of Jesus Christ.  I am happy to say that my husband has a large family, all of whom are saved.  He is the oldest of nine children.  They are included in my church family, as well.

That's a bible truth.

We have to separate, it's a commandment and important doctrine, it protects us from evil.  A little leaven leveaneth the whole lump.

Look at those on this forum who DO NOT live separated lives, they indulge in all kinds of worldly things that separate them from God whether they know it or not.  

Posted · Report post

Look at those on this forum who DO NOT live separated lives, they indulge in all kinds of worldly things that separate them from God whether they know it or not.  

I'm just wondering how you know if individuals on this forum are "separate from God"?  How do you know more about these people than they know about themselves?  Do you have some kind of special gift of knowledge into people's hearts and minds?  Just wondering....????? :icon_confused:

Posted (edited) · Report post

That's not rebuke for you, that just realizing that you can't live up to God's holiness.
Specifically, in Scripture, where does Jesus rebuke "sinners"? I see Him rebuking Pharisses, matter of fact I recall he forgave a woman caught in the act of adultery!

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."  Maybe this is a bad paraphrase but, "knock that stuff off, it's sinful".  Sounds rebukish to me.

God bless,

Larry

Edited by ThePilgrim
Miss Daisy and HappyChristian like this

Posted · Report post

Great.  I've read other posters that state otherwise.  Someone in another thread welcomed someone by saying if they read the KJ then they will welcome them with open arms.  So if you don't, I guess you're not welcome.

I read that, GS.  It is a new person, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Posted · Report post

I'm just wondering how you know if individuals on this forum are "separate from God"?  How do you know more about these people than they know about themselves?  Do you have some kind of special gift of knowledge into people's hearts and minds?  Just wondering....????? :icon_confused:

Because the bible tells me so GraceSaved.  God is not a liar but people are.  They lie and deceive themselves when putting their trust in their wicked hearts and not in God's Word.  This is taught all through the Scriptures.  

Posted · Report post

Because the bible tells me so GraceSaved.  God is not a liar but people are.  They lie and deceive themselves when putting their trust in their wicked hearts and not in God's Word.  This is taught all through the Scriptures.  

Well then you're in the same boat.  Hope you have a life jacket.  Mine is Jesus.

Posted · Report post

Swath, might be referring to this scripture GS.  It applies to all of us.

"God forbid:  yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged." ~ Romans 3:4

James 4:4 "Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

That pretty much sums up who you can and cannot have as a friend? 

We shouldn't be worried about what anyone else thinks. Can they show us in the Bible? Lining up with God's Word should be the only focus. James 6:17 plainly states to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin. The Bible isn't given for private interpretation, (2 Peter 1:20, 21) so the "well, I just didn't get that out of that scripture." or "it's your conviction." Nope if it is in the Bible, it is for everyone.  

Edited by honebee873
Miss Daisy and John81 like this

I'm just wondering how you know if individuals on this forum are "separate from God"? How do you know more about these people than they know about themselves? Do you have some kind of special gift of knowledge into people's hearts and minds? Just wondering....????? :icon_confused:

To be fair, some people here have been pretty open about what they do and what they think is acceptable, even where the Bible is explicit.
And some people by their words display it quite clearly, as you yourself have noted. Edited by DaveW

Posted · Report post

I can think of the adulterous woman at the well and the rich young ruler.  

That's a bible truth.

We have to separate, it's a commandment and important doctrine, it protects us from evil.  A little leaven leveaneth the whole lump.

Those are not rebukes,

Posted · Report post

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."  Maybe this is a bad paraphrase but, "knock that stuff off, it's sinful".  Sounds rebukish to me.

God bless,
Larry

He said, where are your accusers? Nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more, doesn't sound like he called her a whore or anything like that, did He?

Posted · Report post

So in order for it to be a rebuke, there has to be name-calling?

Posted · Report post

He said, where are your accusers? Nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more, doesn't sound like he called her a whore or anything like that, did He? Matter if fact He was kind if compassionate to her wasn't He? I mean after all, she was caught in the very act!!!
Too many people here are like Jonah, waiting for the destruction of Nineveh, which they will never see.

Posted · Report post

So it's not rebuke it it's compassionate?

Posted · Report post

So in order for it to be a rebuke, there has to be name-calling?

No, but the Bible is clear when Jesus was peeved about something, like when dealing with the Pharisees.

Posted · Report post

He said, where are your accusers? Nor do I condemn you, go and sin no more, doesn't sound like he called her a whore or anything like that, did He?

Would calling her a whore be necessary in order to call it a rebuke.  After He did call her a sinner.

God bless,

Larry

HappyChristian likes this

Posted · Report post

Oh, I agree that the Bible is clear when Christ was peeved, as you say.  But not all rebuke comes from being peeved.  When our son was growing up, there were plenty of times we had to rebuke him - and we weren't necessarily peeved.  And if we can rebuke without being angry, I'm sure Christ can - KWIM?

Posted · Report post

So it's not rebuke it it's compassionate?

we are all in just of damnation! We are all guilty, when we are saved, we should be humbled by that grace shown to us, and if you can't see yourself in others who are damned, then I wonder where your heart is.

Posted · Report post

Tried to quote, but I can't. Grr.  But, huh?  Where did my question indicate that I think anyone is not deserving of damnation?  Why do you wonder where my heart is? Isn't that the kind of thing you accuse IFB of - assuming people are something they might not be?   I'm sorry, but your comment just doesn't make any sense to me...

How is looking at "go and sin no more" as a type of rebuke thinking I'm better than someone else (because that is what "not seeing myself" in someone else would indicate...and comparison of myself is not to be done to others, but to Christ...)

Jeffrey, lets not forget that the Christians on Online Baptist are sinners.  Saved sinners, but nonetheless, sinners.  Jesus Christ was God in the flesh when He was on earth.  He is sinless, unlike human beings.  When we compare ourselves to Jesus, we will always fall short.

Edited by candlelight

Posted · Report post

Grasping at straws?  He was dealing with who the verse says He was dealing with.  It is not relevent how He dealt with the pharisees or the lawyers or the scribes or whoever or in what other chapter or whatever verse.  Stay with the problem at hand.

God bless,

Larry