DaveW

Resident Aussie and general dumb bloke

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent
  • LocationI'm a West Aussie

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

Oh yeah - the indycar drivers and F1 drivers who come here are always impressed with the v8 supers - so much power but they also handle.
The v8 supers have power of your nascars but weigh less and are set up to handle twisting circuits rather than ovals.

Don't know how the comparison would go on an oval, but our v8 supers would eat your nascars on the circuits.

The ovals need a specific skillset and setup. One of your drivers in a v8 super set up for ovals (if it is possible to set them up to handle those specific stresses) I reckon would be devastating to your nascars - but then a v8 super is way lighter so better power to weight ratio.

Be a bit like putting an Indy against a nascar - different formulas.

#22 ASongOfDegrees

ASongOfDegrees

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

But F1 is the top racing formula in the world - it is the pinnacle of motorsport.

What determines which is the top in the world? Because it's European? If it's the pinnacle then why do they fail at NASCAR?

Personally, I think NHRA is the best.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees, 16 March 2014 - 08:03 PM.

#23 ASongOfDegrees

ASongOfDegrees

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,085 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Skip the F1 and go 4-wheelin' and shootin' and fishin' and picnicin'!

Swamp racing, tractor pulls and demolition derbies! Now, that's fun.

Edited by ASongOfDegrees, 16 March 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#24 ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

V8 supercars is the premier formula in Australia.
Personally I can't be bothered with it any more.
It used to be interesting and exciting, but nowdays I think it is just a bit boring.
It used to be directly based on production cars, but now it is more like nascar in respect to the cars - the only thing they have in common with the production cars is the badge. :(

And there are no rule limits to number of cars wide in formula one - it is limited to what fits.

I actually like nascar racing and I know it takes more skill than it appears.

But F1 is the top racing formula in the world - it is the pinnacle of motorsport.

Yes it makes me sad to see what has become of all the auto sports.  It has become big business and only big business can afford to buy and keep up the equipment.  I quit watching NASCAR about 30 years ago for that very reason.  I use to go to the local short track here in Portland until they closed it down.  Also enjoyed short tracks in Nebraska but even some of them have closed down.  It has just gotten to expensive for the drivers and so not enough racers I guess.  I miss it.

God bless,

Larry

#25 DaveW

DaveW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:01 AM

Well, last night I woke up at 2 am to watch the Canadian Grand Prix, and glad I did too.

The young Australian driver Dan the man took his first ever Formula 1 Victory with a great drive. Benefited from some trouble in the Mercedes team, but still did a great job to bring home the No1 trophy.

He is from my home town too. ;)

#26 OLD fashioned preacher

OLD fashioned preacher

Termite in a yoyo

• Moderators
  • 1,938 posts
Excellent
  • Locationunder a rock, but crawl out occasionally

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

I thought maybe someone had damage from an F1 tornado -- lo and behold, it's about being lost for 200-500 miles driving around town so fast it takes several times past your house before you finally recognize you're back home and can park now (end of race).

We have farm combine demolition derbys. (How's that for throwing money away?)

#27 Arbo

Arbo

Unwelcome, so Done.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2014 - 01:15 PM

98a10ec9-23cd-4ecf-899c-d8b8cbd4a422_zps

Airplanes are faster.

#28 EKSmith

EKSmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Excellent
  • LocationCharleston S.C

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:05 PM

Oh yeah - the indycar drivers and F1 drivers who come here are always impressed with the v8 supers - so much power but they also handle.
The v8 supers have power of your nascars but weigh less and are set up to handle twisting circuits rather than ovals.

Don't know how the comparison would go on an oval, but our v8 supers would eat your nascars on the circuits.

The ovals need a specific skillset and setup. One of your drivers in a v8 super set up for ovals (if it is possible to set them up to handle those specific stresses) I reckon would be devastating to your nascars - but then a v8 super is way lighter so better power to weight ratio.

Be a bit like putting an Indy against a nascar - different formulas.

have you ever checked out the super Cuda it blew the doors of the worlds fastest f1 car the first time it hit the test track and the second and third times. it's one the newer Cuda's that has some mods done by Chip Foose made to it but it looks stock.yet handles as good as the f1 car and is faster. you can see it on youtube. 

#29 DaveW

DaveW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

have you ever checked out the super Cuda it blew the doors of the worlds fastest f1 car the first time it hit the test track and the second and third times. it's one the newer Cuda's that has some mods done by Chip Foose made to it but it looks stock.yet handles as good as the f1 car and is faster. you can see it on youtube.

There are a few cars faster than F1 cars - F1 only do around 350 kph, and then only when set up for the fastest tracks.
There is no sedan that would out handle an F1 car - the down force that an F1 car has is not attainable from a sedan body.
But in some circumstances other cars are faster.

In any case, A PERTH BOY WON AN F1 RACE ;)

#30 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Resident Liberal

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationChicago suburbs

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think F1 tends to be more of a driving skill then a steady diet of left turns. When I was younger I was in Monaco for the Grand Prix. It was quite the experience. Ayrton Senna won that day

#31 DaveW

DaveW

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:00 PM

Will Power - Aussie boy.
Beat you yanks at yer own game! ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic