Photo

Pastors That Don't Drop There Offering At Giving Time?

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

The shortest nerve in a Christian's body is the one that run from the brain to the wallet!!

Hahaha!  I love that one, Bro K.

#22 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,547 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

I seen in the past not now, that pastors don't give at the offering time. Or If there is a special offering for a missionary,guess singer,  and speaker. They will ask for a special offering for this person, but they them self don't give. Could they think that it is the job of the members only to give?

I'm more concerned about whether I'm pleasing God in my giving than whether someone else is.

#23 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

I'm more concerned about whether I'm pleasing God in my giving than whether someone else is.

I agree BroMatt.  That is what my husband and I do.  As the oldest in his family, he has always been the leader.  Especially spiritually.  He has five brothers.  A couple of his brothers have talked about the evangelist that led me to Christ.  The church took up a collection, years ago to buy him a car, so that he could take the gospel to IFB churches in other states.  One of my husband's brothers was concerned that the church gave this evangelist too much.  My husband spoke up and told him he should be more concerned about himself than another Christian.  The conversation ended right there.

#24 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,547 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:31 AM

For the record, I do believe that Pastoral Staff does need to set an example, but that is NOT an excuse for me to disobey God. I'm an accountable for my own actions

#25 2bLikeJesus

2bLikeJesus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Excellent
  • LocationRoseburg, OR

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

I never miss giving my tithe (if you give a tithe you have actually "given" NOTHING, but simply obeyed God's word), and also my offering (missions, special, bus ministry, etc.) BUT I do it through my bank directly to the church account.  No one ever sees me put an offering in the plate.  The only one in the church who knows I tithe is the church secretary and treasurer.  I don't believe in "sounding the trumpets" to be seen of men with my giving.  

Matthew 6:1-2 (KJV)
1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Maybe these Pastors you are blasting without knowledge are following this simple principle.

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory

#26 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

I never miss giving my tithe (if you give a tithe you have actually "given" NOTHING, but simply obeyed God's word), and also my offering (missions, special, bus ministry, etc.) BUT I do it through my bank directly to the church account.  No one ever sees me put an offering in the plate.  The only one in the church who knows I tithe is the church secretary and treasurer.  I don't believe in "sounding the trumpets" to be seen of men with my giving.  

1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Maybe these Pastors you are blasting without knowledge are following this simple principle.

Bro. Garry

If everyone did this, gave this way. there would be no need of an offering during any church services?

#27 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

For the record, I do believe that Pastoral Staff does need to set an example, but that is NOT an excuse for me to disobey God. I'm an accountable for my own actions

Amen.  That is a requirement of people in leadership positions.  However, all Christians should obey God and be accountable for their own actions.  We need to stop worrying about what another brother or sister is doing and focus on ourselves.  

Edited by candlelight, 14 March 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#28 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:05 AM

Bro. Garry

I like this idea, Brother Garry.  The scriptures go hand in hand with what you are doing.

Years ago, there was a woman in my church, who lived down south growing up.  They had a little wooden box in the back of the her IFB church, to put money and offerings in.  She said it worked quite well, and it didn't draw attention to who was giving when the plate was passed around.  It was very private, between that person and the Lord. 

#29 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:06 AM

Amen.  That is a requirement of people in leadership positions.  However, all Christians should obey God and be accountable for their own actions.  We need to stop worrying about what another brother or sister is doing and focus on ourselves.  

True, but we are living in trouble times, where the Saints are slipping and are in need of correction. This is for the better only. Who am I to correct anyone?  I am Just a nobody, the mist coming out of the kettle, you can only see for a short time..

#30 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:16 AM

True, but we are living in trouble times, where the Saints are slipping and are in need of correction. This is for the better only. Who am I to correct anyone?  I am Just a nobody, the mist coming out of the kettle, you can only see for a short time..

True, TGL.  That is why the leaders in the church need to set an example for the rest of us.  I have never had a problem with this though.  And, yes we are all wretched sinners.  Saved sinners, but still sinners.

#31 Pastorj

Pastorj

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
Excellent
  • LocationStatesville, NC

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

When I was a pastor, I never put anything in the offering plate during the offeratory, as Matt 6 speaks about giving in secret. I put it in prior to the service. I only had an issue one time and I told the person to go ask the treasurer if I tithed.

#32 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

When I was a pastor, I never put anything in the offering plate during the offeratory, as Matt 6 speaks about giving in secret. I put it in prior to the service. I only had an issue one time and I told the person to go ask the treasurer if I tithed.

Do you think that the members should do the same. By mail, this way noboby sees?

#33 2bLikeJesus

2bLikeJesus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Excellent
  • LocationRoseburg, OR

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I had to laugh one day when we were having a special Easter skit/play (after church services, never in place of one) and when we took up an love offering at the end for the youth department that put on the play a little boy about 6 years old commented quite loud after his parents put an offering in the plate "Wow!  That was a great show for only a dollar!

Bro. Garry

#34 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:52 PM

I had to laugh one day when we were having a special Easter skit/play (after church services, never in place of one) and when we took up an love offering at the end for the youth department that put on the play a little boy about 6 years old commented quite loud after his parents put an offering in the plate "Wow! That was a great show for only a dollar!

Bro. Garry

I am glad they did not ask for their money back. :)

#35 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Don't feel bad, there are hundreds of pastors that do the same thing.

#36 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,181 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

I like this idea, Brother Garry. The scriptures go hand in hand with what you are doing.

Years ago, there was a woman in my church, who lived down south growing up. They had a little wooden box in the back of the her IFB church, to put money and offerings in. She said it worked quite well, and it didn't draw attention to who was giving when the plate was passed around. It was very private, between that person and the Lord.

That's what we have. Dates from when the church met in a house and didn't have space for passing a plate.

#37 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,354 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

We pass the plate, but it isn't obvious, really.  People just put in or not as it goes.  *shrugs*  I'm not worried about what someone else puts in - as long as we are doing what God would have us to.

#38 Standing Firm In Christ

Standing Firm In Christ

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,876 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSee Bio

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

Matthew 6:1-2 (KJV) 1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Bro. Garry

I have asked many a pastor, and none could answer. Perhaps you you can since you say it is obedience?

Where does the Bible instruct or command us to tithe our money?

#39 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,354 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:53 PM

And we knew this was where this was gonna go....

#40 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

That's what we have. Dates from when the church met in a house and didn't have space for passing a plate.

I really like that idea, Salyan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500