ThePilgrim

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 25 April 2014 - 09:16 AM

The State Department does not answer questions it does not like.  Why is the official so tactful when she would really like to say, "Hey reporter, just shut up and go away."

Could it be that the answer would not fit what the State Department narrative is a bunch of hog wash?

God bless,

Larry

#2 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,456 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 April 2014 - 11:24 AM

They can't speak the truth.

#3 Arbo

Arbo

Unwelcome, so Done.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:38 PM

They also cannot come up with an answer when asked to name one accomplishment of Hillary Clinton as Sec of State.  :nuts:

#4 Alimantado

Alimantado

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

While I agree that politicians, commentators etc engage in double-speak and deception all the time, this seems to me a pretty clear case of 'asked and answered'.

Psaki response was that the questioner was just repeated a claim already made by Lavrov. So is that true? Yes! And had US Gov already responded to the question? Yes! Here:

Transcript of US DoS press briefing:

QUESTION: Can you say which ones – which ones of the claims – or just to give us an example of the --

MS. PSAKI: Which ones of --

QUESTION: -- of the claims that the foreign minister made in the interview that you would regard as quote/unquote “ludicrous”?

MS. PSAKI: Well, one was certainly that the United States has anything to do with Ukraine’s counterterrorism operations, or that --

QUESTION: Or that you’re running the show? Is that the --

MS. PSAKI: Or that we’re running the show or funding it, exactly.

QUESTION: Okay.

MS. PSAKI: I would put those all in the ludicrous category.

So there you go, an unambiguous denial. Of course anyone is free to reject the answer, but they can't say a direct answer hasn't been given.

I think a good question for Russia Today (who uploaded the video and whose reporter is asking the question) would be: was it just a coincidence that their failure to report that the question had been asked and answered in a previous press conference ended up giving the impression that the question hadn't been answered at all, or did they misreport it on purpose?

Like I say, I'm no fan of Government spokespersons, but it's ironic when the people criticising are at it themselves. ;-)

#5 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,456 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Any time a government official fails to give a straight yes or no answer one can't accept their answer as being either regardless of how their answer might be taken if it were in a typical personal conversation.

This is one of the means of covering their tracks. If something were to happen or come to light and this interview was brought up to show what they had said regarding the matter there would be a quick refutation of what many believed the answer to be.

While such has been going on for a long time, the Obama administration has raised it to a much higher level so that even clear sounding answers or comments are later redefined to fit the new narrative.

Reporters and voters should press for straight forward yes or no answers and hold government officials accountable, whether for good or bad, to their answers.

#6 Genevanpreacher

Genevanpreacher

Seeker of God's Wisdom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 26 April 2014 - 09:58 AM

I was told years ago by a man I still admire, my Father-in-law - "The one's who get in office, are not there because they are the smartest, they are there because they were the best liars."

#7 Alimantado

Alimantado

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

Reporters and voters should press for straight forward yes or no answers and hold government officials accountable, whether for good or bad, to their answers.

Not sure I agree, John. I think the answer just has to be straight and unambiguous. In fact I'd go further and say that any time someone issues the old please just answer yes or no preface, an unfair or loaded question will probably follow.

Most of the time someone wants another to answer just yes or no it is because they don't want them providing any of the background, context or specifics that would ruin the impression they are trying to paint with the question.

Take the "was it a coincidence" question for example. If Psaki had answered 'yes it was a coincidence', it would have appeared naive (or just a lie) because we all know these things are interrelated, i.e. there's no way the US visits would not have been a consideration at all when Ukraine decided to carry out the actions. If, on the other hand, Psaki had answered 'no it was not a coincidence', then it would have given the impression that the US was funding and or ordering the actions, given that Lavrov had recently made those accusations (even though that doesn't necessarily follow). The journalist knew this of course--I'm sure she worded the question as a snare on purpose.

Mark 12:12 Is it right to pay the imperial tax to Caesar or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500