Photo

Christians That Are Paid Serve Christ Better....

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:49 PM

If you find a church that is maintained very well, you will find that the workers are getting paid to do it. Christians don't volunteer any more like they use too. Many say they will come and never show up. If you're having this problem, just take or use the tithing money. It OK, God know how busy the modern Christians are.

#2 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,861 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

Well, then, our church is unusual because members do most of the maintenance work (and a good bit of the building...).

#3 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:57 PM

Well, then, our church is unusual because members do most of the maintenance work (and a good bit of the building...).

Check back in five years with a report, and will see if it is still the same.

#4 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,861 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:04 PM

Check back in five years with a report, and will see if it is still the same.

Considering that we are going on 45 years, ok.

#5 quinkie

quinkie

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:57 PM

It's the same in our church, volunteers do the work.  It is usually the SAME volunteers, but we do not pay to get the church cleaned, the yard mowed,

the musicians are not paid, and neither are the singers or music director.

#6 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,319 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

If you find a church that is maintained very well, you will find that the workers are getting paid to do it. Christians don't volunteer any more like they use too. Many say they will come and never show up. If you're having this problem, just take or use the tithing money. It OK, God know how busy the modern Christians are.

This is not true. In our church, the janitors are paid, but maintenance/upkeep is voluntary.

Truth be told, TGL, I'm getting rather fed up with your negative comments. Can you ever present a positive view of the church and pastors? 

#7 swathdiver

swathdiver

Surrendered

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,980 posts
Excellent
  • LocationTreasure Coast

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

Why don't you come on down to the Treasure Coast this Sunday and visit my New Testament Church TGL?  We'll show you how its done!

#8 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,319 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 15 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

TGL,

Since I am new to the IFB community, I was wondering if you could tell me how you came up with your list in you post: "Start an Independent baptist Church."  It looks to be very detailed and seems to follow a sort of formula.  As someone new, I was hoping you could explain that to me.

Joseph, you may want to take TGL with a grain of salt. His comments usually reflect a rather dysfunctional view of the church and the pastoral ministry. I would definitely not take them as indicative of how IFB churches should or do function.

#9 OLD fashioned preacher

OLD fashioned preacher

Termite in a yoyo

• Moderators
  • 1,925 posts
Excellent
  • Locationunder a rock, but crawl out occasionally

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

Joseph,

TGL is a dyed-in-the-wool, certified, Grade A chain yanker.

He might be an alright guy in real life, but I don't believe he's exhibiting his real-life presence here (of course, I have been wrong before)

#10 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

This is not true. In our church, the janitors are paid, but maintenance/upkeep is voluntary.

Truth be told, TGL, I'm getting rather fed up with your negative comments. Can you ever present a positive view of the church and pastors?

You can try avoiding me, like I avoid you.

#11 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,028 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:48 PM

Most things in our church are tended to by volunteers, our pastors and the church secretary (male).

#12 EKSmith

EKSmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Excellent
  • LocationCharleston S.C

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:01 AM

Christians that are paid serve Christ better ?? for 15 years I was a youth pastor never taking any pay for serving the Lord leading many lost teens to trust in Jesus as their savior and training them to become disciples to go out into the world  to share the gospel I was replaced by a young person that was payed to entertain the youth and within a year our church lost most of it's youth to other churches with better entertainment.

Today I work in the Evangelist ministry training disciples and don't get payed and would refuse pay if it was offered I was called by God to serve Him for His Glory and not that of myself.

To serve= giving freely of one's self from the heart. 

Edited by EKSmith, 16 May 2014 - 12:04 AM.

#13 MountainChristian

MountainChristian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
Excellent
  • LocationMountains of North Carolina

Posted 16 May 2014 - 02:04 AM

They call a work day at my church and the men show up and work. They don't tell me anymore because I have Lupus and my company forced me to take disability/retirement.

#14 candlelight

candlelight

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,358 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

You can try avoiding me, like I avoid you.

Really TGL?   :icon_rolleyes: 

Yes, TGL likes to yank everyone's chain Joseph.  Usually he uses this  :popcorn: but might have thought that it isn't working anymore.  I dunno.

Anyway, back to the OP.  My church started in 1982 in a house.  It relocated to a church in the city I grew up in.  Christians have never been paid for working.  It is the Lord's work not ours.  We relocated to another city when church numbers were growing, although many people left b/c we decided to build a church on property in that city.  It is paid for but will not be finished until we are able to pay off the mortgage on the newly constructed church.  On Sunday mornings, we meet at the civic center in that town.  At the end of each month, we have a missionary preach, and then church fellowship. We 1/2 day church on those Sundays b/c we want to save on the cost of renting the building.  It isn't cheap.  Many Christians go to another IFB church, in the evenings, for service on those Sundays.  On Wednesday night, during the cold months, we meet in a Lutheran Church for prayer and Bible study.  There is a big children's room and nursery.  Many members work in Master's Club (in the basement of the church).  We are also able to draw in children from the community.  MC is only during the school year, though.  On Wednesday night's, during the Fall and Summer months, we meet on our property.  When it rains, we meet in my in-laws home.  They have a big home and it is able to hold the members and children along with a nursery for the toddlers and children.  Oh, and on Christmas day and Resurrection Sunday we meet in the civic center in my hometown, as the civic center in the other town is closed on those days.  This sounds confusing, but when one gets used to moving around it isn't.  We are vagabonds and joke about how we will be wandering around like the ancient Israelites for 40 years in the desert.  Each IFB church is different.  That is the beauty of being independent.

I am so sorry to hear that you have Lupus, MC.  Also, most of my post was for Joseph.  We are so blessed to have you as a member of OB, brother. 

Edited by candlelight, 16 May 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#15 282Mikado

282Mikado

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

Our church went from renting church space in 2000 to our new church building almost entirely built by the men and children of the church. It was mostly the boys who dug the footer. This was done debt free. Last year we added an expansion that now serves as our main sanctuary with original building now being used as a fellowship hall, classrooms, recreation area, etc. Again, this addition was done almost entirely by volunteer help within the church and completely debt free.

We do our own cleaning and yard work, not to mention all the venues we volunteer for out in the community.

Based on your typical posts TGL I would suggest you definitely find a new church (if you even go to a church), and perhaps take a good hard look at your current walk with the Lord. I suspect some thing(s) is/are not lined up scripturally. 

#16 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

Our church went from renting church space in 2000 to our new church building almost entirely built by the men and children of the church. It was mostly the boys who dug the footer. This was done debt free. Last year we added an expansion that now serves as our main sanctuary with original building now being used as a fellowship hall, classrooms, recreation area, etc. Again, this addition was done almost entirely by volunteer help within the church and completely debt free.

We do our own cleaning and yard work, not to mention all the venues we volunteer for out in the community.

Based on your typical posts TGL I would suggest you definitely find a new church (if you even go to a church), and perhaps take a good hard look at your current walk with the Lord. I suspect some thing(s) is/are not lined up scripturally.

I love to see how the brothers and sisters, pull out the sword at the end of their post, the wrong sword.

Edited by The Glory Land, 16 May 2014 - 12:24 PM.

#17 Arbo

Arbo

Unwelcome, so Done.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

What is your purpose for starting this thread?  Is it to encourage the brethren... or to complain about them?

I am guessing your hiatus wasn't long enough.

#18 Arbo

Arbo

Unwelcome, so Done.

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:28 PM

As to the volunteer/hired help thing- In my mind, part of good stewardship is recognizing the best course of action to get the task done correctly.  Sometimes unskilled volunteers are perfectly acceptable, and other times specialized help is preferable.

#19 282Mikado

282Mikado

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I love to see how the brothers and sisters, pull out the sword at the end of their post, the wrong sword.

It does not take a long search of your posts to find that most are either sarcastic, negatively leading and or critical. It seems as though your principle goal here is to bait "the brothers and sisters". If these are the types of posts you wish to make (and I have noticed that I am not the only one to discern this) then don't be surprised if you receive criticism in return. 

#20 Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts
Excellent
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:00 PM

I knew as soon as I saw the title who started it!

If your church has a large paid staff then it's probably a fun, jumpy-house, rocking kind of church!

My church the only person paid is the pastor, even in a small church it's a full time job!

Our church starting meeting in a public building for about a year I think. My church / Pastor was supported by another church for first few years. But now I think the support has ended.

Unless I was Amish I wouldn't want to meet in a barn! I like a furnace in winter and AC in summer! If no other choice to hear the word is a different story though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500