#1 The Glory Land

The Glory Land

"Trust & Obey"

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

For Salvation, does your church practices this weekly. If not, why?

#2 heartstrings

heartstrings

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd....

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:48 PM

yes

#3 Steve Schwenke

Steve Schwenke

Bible Believing Baptist Preacher

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
Excellent
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:42 PM

Yes and No

If it is our regular members and attendees there - no

If any visitor is attending, I make sure to give a clear presentation of the gospel in the preaching and teaching, and then give an invitation at the end.

However...

My view on the invitation is much different than the "standard" view.  I hate emotional and mental manipulation.  I figure if the Holy Spirit is dealing with someone, they don't need me to twist their arm into making some "decision."  Therefore, at the end of the message, I will pray, our pianist will begin to play the invitational song, I may give a brief admonition to the congregation to examine their hearts on whatever the topic of the message was, and then give them an opportunity to either come forward, or pray right where they are in their seats, and spend some time with the Lord.  No arm-twisting.  Then after a couple of minutes, we will sing together.  Sometimes the Lord wants me to extend that prayer time, and give an additional exhortation on taking action on the said topic. 

All I know is that I did not have to have anyone twist my arm when I surrendered my life to the Lord Jesus Christ.  NOr did I need anyone to twist my arm on any of the other issues the Lord dealt with me about.  But people do need an opportunity to respond to the preaching.  So I just "put the ball in their court" and give them the opportunity to respond, realizing that they could just as well respond at home in private without "my help." 

#4 quinkie

quinkie

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

The invitation is given weekly at our church, not only for salvation, but for any other issues the people may be dealing with.

#5 Invicta

Invicta

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWhitstable, Kent, England

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

No that is an Americanism.

WE believe the appeal should be in the Gospel Message and then leave it to the Holy Spirit to apply the message.

#6 heartstrings

heartstrings

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd....

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,365 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:00 PM

Well.....I was saved during one of those ''Americanisms'' on May 11, 1986.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28

#7 Steve Schwenke

Steve Schwenke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
Excellent
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:17 PM

Just to clarify, I am not opposed to giving Altar Calls - I am opposed to the emotional appeals and other manipulative methods many have adopted.  The Holy Spirit is still alive and well, and does not need me to prompt people to respond to the Bible.  I just give them an opportunity to respond.

#8 MountainChristian

MountainChristian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
Excellent
  • LocationMountains of North Carolina

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:27 PM

Our alter is always open, during the hymns, preaching, teaching, etc. My pastor said men should give an alter call and let it go. Not keep on and on and on. 

#9 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,970 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

My parents went to a church pastored temporarily by a man who was going into evangelism.  He was (is) a good preacher, but his invitations were excessive.  He would let it run almost as long as his message would go...and there were  very few people in the church. My dad used to say he'd preach 'em into it and then talk 'em out of it because of the length of the altar call.   :icon_smile:

We normally have an invitation at the end of each service. It's not prolonged unless a lot of people are still coming forward.  

#10 paid4

paid4

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Excellent
  • LocationJohnston County NC

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

I hate getting suckered into going down to the alter. Lots of preachers start out by asking a question that gets you to raise your hand. Like "do you want to be a better christian", slip up your hand so I can pray for you. Then they back door you and say if you raised your hand then you need to come down to the alter. Then you feel like you're obligated to go.

#11 Invicta

Invicta

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWhitstable, Kent, England

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

Free churches don't have altars.  We leave those to Rome.

#12 DaveW

DaveW

Resident Aussie and general dumb bloke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent
  • LocationI'm a West Aussie

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

Free churches don't have lots of things - like right doctrine for instance. .....

May I remind you that this is an IFB site - you should not be promoting your mob here......

#13 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,445 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

I thought "free churches" was a reference to those not under the dominion of the RCC???

#14 Steve Schwenke

Steve Schwenke

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
Excellent
  • LocationAmarillo, TX

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Invicta did not properly clarify this....it could be mistakenly understood as Evangelical Free churches...I don't know...it was an ambiguous reference, IMO...not sure what he meant by that term

#15 DaveW

DaveW

Resident Aussie and general dumb bloke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,450 posts
Excellent
  • LocationI'm a West Aussie

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:44 PM

I thought "free churches" was a reference to those not under the dominion of the RCC???

If a church is a "Free" something or other church, in most cases it means they hold to reformed doctrine.
Around here the are free reformed, free Presbyterian, and even a free Baptist Church.
I have seen a free SDA, and even a free LDS Temple - and yes they do hold to a Calvinistic style of Mormonism.....

It is an indicative keyword of reformed theology.
It is a warning sign of false doctrine.

#16 Genevanpreacher

Genevanpreacher

Seeker of God's Wisdom

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
Excellent
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:25 PM

If a church is a "Free" something or other church, in most cases it means they hold to reformed doctrine.
Around here the are free reformed, free Presbyterian, and even a free Baptist Church.
I have seen a free SDA, and even a free LDS Temple - and yes they do hold to a Calvinistic style of Mormonism.....

Wow! Invicta said all that?

#17 OLD fashioned preacher

OLD fashioned preacher

Termite in a yoyo

• Moderators
  • 1,938 posts
Excellent
  • Locationunder a rock, but crawl out occasionally

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

Must be a commonwealth thing, in the US the only "free" churches I've heard of are Evangelical Free (or E-Free).Their doctrinal statements didn't indicate any Calvinistic or RT indicators and they have this to say about their name (just referring to the E-Free here):

The “evangelical” of Evangelical Free reflects the assertions that the scriptures are the inerrant word of God, people are born into a sinful condition, and salvation comes through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, as well as a commitment to spreading these beliefs. They also believe in the premillennial return of Christ, the bodily resurrection of the dead, and the celebration of water baptism and the Lord’s Supper.

The “free” means that EFCA churches are congregational in governance. Each church is governed and financially supported by its own members. This is as opposed to being ruled by a presbyter, or board of elders, or an episcopate, which is a central leader over several churches. Although EFCA churches typically have a senior pastor and a board of elders, the pastors and elders receive their authority by the vote of the congregation. 

#18 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 17,970 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

In Ireland, the Free Methodists are pretty much down the line with US UFB.

#19 OLD fashioned preacher

OLD fashioned preacher

Termite in a yoyo

• Moderators
  • 1,938 posts
Excellent
  • Locationunder a rock, but crawl out occasionally

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

In Ireland, the Free Methodists are pretty much down the line with US UFB.

I know what a UFO is, but what's a UFB?

#20 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 17,970 posts
Excellent

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Heh. Unidentified fundy Baptist? LOL. It's my phone...snicker. Supposed to be IFB.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500