ThePilgrim

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

For years now, ever since the multi-culti thing started, I have run into ads for jobs that require one to be able to understand and speak spanish.  This has been for jobs in the government sector as well as private employers.  It has always seemed odd to me that one should be required to speak a foreign language to work in America.  

With this action by the government now I am even more confused.  Is it okay to force an American to learn a foreign language to get a job in America but not to force a foreign language speaker to learn English?   :icon_confused:  Yeah, I know, the world isn't fair. :th_wellduh:  Still ticks  me off. :hsyft: :offended: 

http://cnsnews.com/n...nglish-language

God bless,

Larry

#2 Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
Excellent
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

At most public universities you have to have 4 years of a foreign language to graduate! My daughter took 2 years in Spanish and has to take 2 more in college!! Most of the professor's aren't English, nor are some of them even understandable!  What a scam!

#3 EKSmith

EKSmith

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
Excellent
  • LocationCharleston S.C

Posted 03 July 2014 - 03:21 AM

I had to learn Spanish with a company I work for years ago because they where hiring anyone that had a green card I was a supervisor so I had to learn to speak Spanish Which I don't regret having too because I was able to lead 5 men to trust in the lord as their savior.

My grandmother was full Cherokee Indian and I learn to speak Cherokee from her and my mother when I was a kid I go to the reservation twice a year and share the Gospel with them in their Native tongue there are very few Cherokee pastors whom speak their language and most them speak English

Sorry Larry I was just trying to show a good side to it but I feel the same as you do brother 

Edited by EKSmith, 04 July 2014 - 03:24 AM.

#4 Covenanter

Covenanter

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,137 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSouthall, West London, England

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:09 AM

I know a lot of you ARE English, despite tomorrows celebrations, but you have been welcoming foreigners, immigrants, etc, to take over the vast areas the native Americans were forced out of into reservations. No restriction of language there, for the Russian Jews, & other European poor.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

And the more we are into globalization, the more we need to understand the languages of the people we interact with.

#5 Miss Daisy

Miss Daisy

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,402 posts
Excellent
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

But WANTING  to learn and it be REQUIRED are two different things. THEY are coming HERE.

#6 Salyan

Salyan

Super Contributor

• Moderators
  • 3,412 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSP AB CA

Posted 03 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

Certain positions, whether private or public, may require the use of a foreign language in order to best serve the clientele. Yes, if they are immigrants they eventually need to learn English, but if the position involves working with them at a point at which they are brand new to the country or unlikely to have learned sufficient English to handle the discussion involved, then why wouldn't that position be required to speak that language?   It is just a job requirement like any other (must be able to read and write English fluently, must be able to type 80 WPM, must have an understanding of building mechanical systems, etc.). Also, haven't there always been jobs that required fluency in other languages?  You wouldn't hire someone to teach at a deaf school if they didn't know sign language...

With our county being bilingual, government positions are required to use both English & French (even though most French speakers are only in Quebec!). It limits jobs for anglophones, and it's annoying, but we are a bilingual nation, so it makes sense politically.  It seems to me that only if the US government starts requiring a foreign language for all jobs (or requiring it for packaging), regardless of the likelihood of that position encountering primarily foreign-language speakers, that you would have a real problem with your government ignoring the position of English as your sole official language.

#7 ThePilgrim

ThePilgrim

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,464 posts
Excellent
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:43 PM

I

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

And the more we are into globalization, the more we need to understand the languages of the people we interact with.

Wonderful sounding sentiments.  But like all platitudes they don't take any of the real situation into consideration.

That was a different day and those were a different people. 

Certain positions, whether private or public, may require the use of a foreign language in order to best serve the clientele. Yes, if they are immigrants they eventually need to learn English, but if the position involves working with them at a point at which they are brand new to the country or unlikely to have learned sufficient English to handle the discussion involved, then why wouldn't that position be required to speak that language?   It is just a job requirement like any other (must be able to read and write English fluently, must be able to type 80 WPM, must have an understanding of building mechanical systems, etc.). Also, haven't there always been jobs that required fluency in other languages?  You wouldn't hire someone to teach at a deaf school if they didn't know sign language...

With our county being bilingual, government positions are required to use both English & French (even though most French speakers are only in Quebec!). It limits jobs for anglophones, and it's annoying, but we are a bilingual nation, so it makes sense politically.  It seems to me that only if the US government starts requiring a foreign language for all jobs (or requiring it for packaging), regardless of the likelihood of that position encountering primarily foreign-language speakers, that you would have a real problem with your government ignoring the position of English as your sole official language.

One who decides to pick up and move from one place to another should be willing to face up to any situation they encounter.  That includes facing some hardship as you learn the language and ways of America.  The situation that most of the illegal immigrants or aliens are willing to face is welfare and everyone giving in to their every want.  The greater number of them come to this country not to become an American but to bring their ways of life, politics, and culture here and change America into where they came from.  Have you ever heard the word Reconquista.  If not, do an internet search on the word. 

This country does not have an immigration problem.  Immigrants assimilate.  We are facing a migration.  A mass migration of peoples from all over the world, especially from the south.  America is rapidly changing because of it and will never be as it was.  Less and less freedom and more and more regimentation of the populace as those in power strive to keep things uner control.  It matters not that I am yelling into the wind and noone hears but what is taking place will continue on into a bleak future for our children and grandchildren.

God bless,

Larry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500