10 posts in this topic
River of Death, River of Life - Ex 1:22, Rev 22:1
Video and Audio available on DVD and YouTube
also see www.monteloresbaptist.com for (possibly) this and other sermons
River of Death, River of Life
G. Schneck Mar 21, 2010 - Montelores Baptist Chruch, Lewis, CO
- Exodus 1:22, -Rev. 22:1-7
1. Read Rev. 22:1
2. The scene: Heaven… we've been told about
- A New Heaven… - A new Earth
3. We now learn of a a PURE RIVER OF WATER OF LIFE…
4. BUT.. Before we look at this river… Let's look at a:
I - A River of Death
A. A Prideful Situation
1. Read Exodus 1:22
- Israel had gone down into Egypt
- Joseph had fell in favor with Pharaoh and became great
- But we read in 1:6 - Joseph died, and all that generation….
- and "there arose up a new king… which know not Joseph."
- This new Pharaoh was afraid the Israelites would become powerful
- Made their life hard… "in all manner of service"
- Told the midwives to kill the baby if it were a son. They failed to do so!
B. The Instigator, a Prince
a. The very one over Egypt. He had it all, but he was jealous.
b. He is the guilty one in the Prideful Situation
c. It was Pride that causes Lucifer to sin and….
2. Pharaoh is a type of Satan.
a. He was prince and god of Egypt… Egypt being a type of the world.
b. Satan is the prince and god of this world.
- we are delivered out of worldly bondage
3. The instigator is none other that Satan himself.
C. A Charge Given -
1. Pharaoh used by Satan to "charge his people"
a. As the God of this age, Satan is giving the orders.
2Cor 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.
D. The River of Death -
1. The command is "Every son that is born ye shall cast into the river."
2. Here we discover the River of Death.
a. The Nile… Used of Satan in an attempt to destroy the Hebrews.
b. Satan's desire was to destroy the Line of Christ.
c. As Pharoah wanted to destroy the sons…
- Satan wants to destroy THE son of God
- and those who would become adopted sons.
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
E. Illustration - The River of Death
When I was a small boy growing up in southern Indiana we often found ourselves playing around the river that ran close to our home. One evening I received a phone call from a classmate. "Is it true?" he asked. "Did Mike drown in the river? You're his best friend... Have your heard?"
"What are you talking about?" I asked in a panic, what's happening? The caller explained: "We've heard that something awful happened and he drowned."
Sadly, the story was true. We learned that, on a perfectly beautiful day, Mike was out practicing for cross country, got hot, and tried to swim the river to cool off. His body cramped up in the cold and turbulent water, and though a strong young man, he couldn't win the fight against the dirty river. My best friend had drowned and was dead.
Satan had used the "attractiveness" of the river, to tempt this young boy into it's grasp! It looked pleasant.. cool, refreshing, fun. But it brought death!
My best friend… Dead! 15 years old..
Satan has and used many tools to deceive!
F. Has Satan Deceived you?
1. Are you in the river? Do things seem cool, refreshing, fun?
a. My best friend had fun for a while (above illustration)
- then the struggle began!
b. As the Hebrew babies were thrown into the river image the cries, the wailing, the struggle…..
But Praise God… there is another type of river!
II. - A River of Life
- The Setting
a. The Tribulaton over, His 1000 reign is over.
b. All battles done, Satan and Hell have been cast into the Lake of Fire.
c. God has shown John a New Heavens and New earth
d. We are moving into "the eternal state"… Paradise.!
e. We are looking at the "eternal city" (21:10,11 & 22-26)
A. The Uniqueness of this River
- Read 22:1
1. A PURE River
a. Promised - Rev 21:6
b. Pure: This river is not dirty as was the "river of death" (Nile)
- Describe the river that my friend drowned in- stumps, snags, etc)
c. Satisfies: This river and it's pure nature satisfies…
The following Psalm seems to speak of this river.
Psalm 36:7-9 How excellent is thy lovingkindness, O God! therefore the children of men put their trust under the shadow of thy wings. They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fatness of thy house; and thou shalt make them drink of the river of thy pleasures. For with thee is the fountain of life: in thy light shall we see light.
2. "River of Water of Life" (22:1)
a. This water is SPECIAL! It' not the water from your tap!
b. Life is in this water! The Fullness of Heaven!
John 4:14* But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
3. A River "Clear as Crystal!" (22:1)
a. Not only is the river pure.. it CLEAR !
b. I am reminded that when I stand and gaze at that river my God will see me as pure.. and clear… perfect & free from sin!
B. The Source of this River
1. "Out of the Throne of God and of the Lamb" (22:1)
a. Life comes from God and Life is given by God's Grace!
b. He gives physical life… He gives Spritual life!
2. It was in constant supply…
a. The New City will last for eternity - So will it's walls, in street of Gold
b. Here is a river that will last forever…
C. The Comfort of this River
1. Looking forward to this city and the river can be a comfort to us!
Isa 43; 2 When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee.
Shall we Gather at the River - (often mistakenly sang at Baptisms)
Shall we gather at the river,_Where bright angel feet have trod,_With its crystal tide forever_Flowing by the throne of God?
Yes, we'll gather at the river,_The beautiful, the beautiful river,_Gather with the saints at the river_That flows by the throne of God.
On the bosom of the river,_Where the Savior-King we own,_We shall meet and sorrow never_'Neath the glory of the throne.
When we reach the shining river,_Lay we every burden down;_Grace our spirits will deliver_And provide a rOBe and crown.
Soon we'll reach the shining river,_Soon our pilgrimage will cease;_Soon our happy hearts will quiver_With the melody of peace.
III. - Challenge
A. We've seen two rivers….
1. A River of Death…. A River of Life
2. Though I lost I good friend when I was 15 I have comfort in that I have reason to believe he was saved. He may have gone through the turbulent waters of death, but he had previously found eternal life. He and I will, one day, stand by the Pure River of Water of Life together!
3. How about YOU!
Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Who's Online 3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 14 Guests (See full list)