#41 robmac68

robmac68

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
Excellent
  • LocationWV

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

Anyone remember when many professions had moral and appearance (most often tied together) guidelines for hiring and maintaining employees?

Today it can be difficult to tell the teacher or nurse from someone who just wondered in the door after waking up in an alley.

Tattoos, often vulgar and/or disgusting showing from various parts of their body. (Which some of those body parts showing with tattoos once weren't acceptable to be showing in these professions either!)

Ears with a half dozen piercings, nose rings, pierced eyebrows, lips and tongues.

Strange hair cuts and styles, sometimes with multiple and odd colors.

Often their speech and word usage mirrors their unkempt dress style and "bad part of town" looks and mannerisms.

This sort of thing has infiltrated churches too. Pastors, deacons, board members and the congregation proudly sporting their tattoos, piercings, odd hair styles and colors, unkempt dress, ghetto or gutter mannerisms. Sometimes these things are even held up as examples of Christian love, outreach, acceptance, growth. The congregation cheers for their pastors new, tiny cross tattoo below his eye inside a teardrop. The youth pastor sports a fancy looking cross tattoo on his forearm and speaks of how it opens doors to sharing the Gospel with younger folks.

Whatever happened to what was once called professionalism? Whatever happened to standards of deportment? Whatever happened to the expectation of certain professions holding to higher qualification standards?

I never thought this would happen in church....I was asked by the youth leader to speak to the children for 10 minutes at the beginning of the service.  It was a Wednesday night and she would have different men of the church give lessons.  I was in the small chapel downstairs, behind the pulpit, so I wore a button down shirt and tie.  When I was done, I went upstairs to Bible study.  I never had so many wierd looks.  I thought I had something on me or my zipper was down.  But after the service I had quite a few people make comments to me about the way I was dressed such as "whats the special occassion?"  "are you lost?"  "who you dressed up for?" and the one that blew my mind..."we don't dress like that on Wednesdays!"..  I wasn't even wearing a suit coat, just a tie.  I never thought I would be too dressed up for church!  I remember when all the men wore ties to church.

#42 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,126 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:30 PM

Even in the church it's becoming all about everyone feeling casual, relaxed, comfortable, and especially non-traditional.

Our church had a casual Sunday ONCE. The reason being that the church picnic was going to be right after the second morning service. Well, even in our pretty good church there were a few a little too casually dressed. After that Sunday our pastors said they were very uncomfortable with the casual dress that day and wouldn't be doing that again.

My family and I, and a handful of others came dressed as usual for a Sunday service and people kept asking us why we were dressed up.

#43 DaveW

DaveW

Resident Aussie and general dumb bloke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,272 posts
Excellent
  • LocationI'm a West Aussie

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

When we have a fellowship after the service where we expect to get outside with the kids having water fights etc, people come normal and bring a change of clothes.
But our Wednesday nights are a bit more casual than Sundays.

#44 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 60,126 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:00 PM

That's basically the way we do things. It seems to work well.

#45 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 17,536 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

My mom's church is like that as well. Well, it was. Wth them looking for a new pastor, who knows what it'll be.

Our church is the same for every service except Thanksgiving breakfast. That is casual because the men do the cooking, serving, and cleanup. :-) On Sundays folk who work on buses bring clothes to change into if needed.

#46 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 60,126 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:47 PM

One more hot and humid day to go and then SUNDAY!!!

#47 MountainChristian

MountainChristian

• PipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts
Excellent
  • LocationMountains of North Carolina

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I never thought this would happen in church....I was asked by the youth leader to speak to the children for 10 minutes at the beginning of the service.  It was a Wednesday night and she would have different men of the church give lessons.  I was in the small chapel downstairs, behind the pulpit, so I wore a button down shirt and tie.  When I was done, I went upstairs to Bible study.  I never had so many wierd looks.  I thought I had something on me or my zipper was down.  But after the service I had quite a few people make comments to me about the way I was dressed such as "whats the special occassion?"  "are you lost?"  "who you dressed up for?" and the one that blew my mind..."we don't dress like that on Wednesdays!"..  I wasn't even wearing a suit coat, just a tie.  I never thought I would be too dressed up for church!  I remember when all the men wore ties to church.

That will happen to me, as I need to buy a few ties to wear for teaching at the old folks home. I don't own a tie so when I show up in one the men will joke me a bit. The leader who runs the nursing home ministry asked me to help and I've prayed on it and feel I should do it. I'll have a turn about once a month. 

#48 Standing Firm In Christ

Standing Firm In Christ

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSee Bio

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:37 PM

Churches have changed their standards for some time now.  And not only in dress.

They have game nights in the place of worship, boxing matches, dancing, and many other worldly things.

#49 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 60,126 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

Everyone in our church doesn't dress the same as when I went to church in the 60s and 70s, but thankfully our church is still a place of worship and not a place for games, movies, dances or athletics.

#50 Standing Firm In Christ

Standing Firm In Christ

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSee Bio

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Saw a Pentecostal Church advertising an upcoming boxing match coming up on the last Sunday night of this month.

I never thought I'd see the day when the Pentecostals would do such.

Redneck Contests, Food Trucks, Games, Prizes, etc..

smh

#51 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 60,126 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

Wow! What a mess. Sounds more like a secular event, not a gathering of Christians.

Bethel Baptist is having a boys fishing weekend. Boys from first to fifth grades are going camping and fishing for the weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500