#1 John81

John81

Running to Win

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,074 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

"Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:" 2 Peter 1:10

What is the practical application of this verse? It would seem to "never fall" would be something all Christians should be interested in.

#2 Standing Firm In Christ

Standing Firm In Christ

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
Excellent
  • LocationSee Bio

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:45 AM

I think the practical application woud be, keeping our focus on the things of God

Galatians 5:16 (KJV) 16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

#3 2bLikeJesus

2bLikeJesus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
Excellent
  • LocationRoseburg, OR

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

I  take it as making sure you thank God for His salvation and re-affirming that He is in control of your steps and then you can fulfill Ga 5:16 above.  

#4 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,074 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Good points, but how does this relate to making sure our calling and election is sure?

Is this perhaps just a way of saying that we need to be looking at our lives for evidence that we are saved and that if we are saved we should be reaping the benefits of a closer walk with Christ? If then, we are growing in Christlikeness then the fruits of the Spirit will be abounding, we will be in much Scripture study and prayer, and this will lead us to a transformed life on such solid footing that we won't fall even if we stumble or a strong storm comes against us?

Or, is this saying something much different?

#5 GraceSaved

GraceSaved

Daughter of the King of kings

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
Excellent
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:32 PM

I understand it to mean give attention and care to our spiritual growth. If we grow, we bear fruit. When we bear fruit we have assurance for ourselves and proof to others of our salvation. Our growth in our knowledge of God will prevent us from falling away and back into sins.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500