Online Baptist
Grace&Mercy

Do Baptist subscribe to calvinism?

Question

there are so many kinds of baptist I'm encountering; reformed 3.5 4 4.5 & 5 point calvinist.

From the "TULIP" I just can't comprehend and accept the concept of "limited atonement"  on the Bible is was clearly stated Christ died for "ALL" some say "all" is not really all  huh I don't get it?

baptist = calvinist, I don't think so but it getting blurry please enlighten me on this

any thoughts?

59 answers to this question

Well a Baptist is one who holds to what is called Believer's Baptism only, we reject infant baptism because of the account in Acts 8 and we also hold to salvation by grace through faith.

There are many kind of Baptists though.

There are Calvinist Baptist, Arminian Baptists.

Conservative Baptists and Liberal Baptists.

There are Charismatic Baptists.

The list could go on and on, Most of the Baptists that I know are non Calvinist, but I think Calvinism is becoming popular and spreading throughout many evangelical churches.

I am a Independent Fundamental Baptist, independent meaning that the Local Church I attend is autonomous and we do not answer to any kind of denominational headquarters.

So to answer you question, it depends on each local church. Some are Calvinist, and some are not.

I would suspect most on this particular board are not.. I know other forums that are dominated by Calvinists.

I was saved in an IFB church and had never heard of "limited atonement". I just believed if Jesus would save me, he would save anybody. Years later an old pastor, we had at the time, began to teach us and warn us about something called "Calvinism" which I had never heard of before. Though I thought his teaching didn't apply to us, I learned later that the warning was warranted because the next pastor began to slip a little of the doctrine in. He even "preached" sermons from a man named "john Piper" which he copied off the internet. When confronted,  he became hostile and flat out denied delving into it. But he later admitted it.

We live in "perilous times" and the world is full of false doctrines, other gospels and false Christs just like the Bible says it would be. I am a "zero" (0) point Baptist.

The original baptists in England were particular baptists. Their Confessions of faith in 1644, 1646, 1689, 1966, 1973. were all particular baptist, and were more or less consistent.  General baptists came later, from them came all the other baptist variations, including extreme Calvinist, Strict and Particular,  

If you are looking at Baptists overall, there are a very wide variety of beliefs as some have mentioned above. This includes some Baptists who are Calvinist.

If you are looking only at Independent Fundamental Baptists, nearly all are non-Calvinist. Yet even among some of the non-Calvinists I've noticed over recent years some are willing to use more and more material (sermons, books, study guides, etc.) by Calvinists whereas in times past those would not have been acceptable.

Whatever the name the church goes by, a person needs to read their statement of faith and check out the pastor; either through correspondence, talking with him, reading sermons or something else he's written, or listening to some of his sermons. That's the only real way to tell for sure what a particular church really believes even if it has Baptist in the name or declares themselves to be IFB.

If you are looking at Baptists overall, there are a very wide variety of beliefs as some have mentioned above. This includes some Baptists who are Calvinist.

If you are looking only at Independent Fundamental Baptists, nearly all are non-Calvinist. Yet even among some of the non-Calvinists I've noticed over recent years some are willing to use more and more material (sermons, books, study guides, etc.) by Calvinists whereas in times past those would not have been acceptable.

Whatever the name the church goes by, a person needs to read their statement of faith and check out the pastor; either through correspondence, talking with him, reading sermons or something else he's written, or listening to some of his sermons. That's the only real way to tell for sure what a particular church really believes even if it has Baptist in the name or declares themselves to be IFB.

That doesn't apply here as there are no IFBs in this area and I am not sure if there are any in England,  I believe that there is an American trying to get one going in Scotland, but I have heard he is a Ruckmanite.   

For a time when IFB churches here started moving away from what one might call traditional IFB norms they would drop the IFB name from their church. That's no longer the case. Many IFB churches that are moving in other directions are now keeping their IFB name. If this trend continues the IFB name will lose it's distinctive.

I'm not sure about IFB churches in countries outside of America. I know of a couple IFB-like Baptist churches in Russia but they simply call themselves Baptist.

Primitive Baptists subscribe to Calvinism.

We have several Primitive Baptist Churches in our area. From what I understand, they only meet once or twice a month.

Do they practice foot washing? There is an odd Baptist church about 30 miles south of here and I think they are Primitive Baptists. I know it seems once a year there's an ad in a newspaper talking about them having a foot washing service.

Do they practice foot washing? There is an odd Baptist church about 30 miles south of here and I think they are Primitive Baptists. I know it seems once a year there's an ad in a newspaper talking about them having a foot washing service.

I don't know if the Primitive Baptist churches around here do or not John...but I do know that there are some small Southern Baptist churches around here that have foot washings.

My grandmother belonged to a Primitive Baptist church, but I don't recall her ever having mentioned foot-washings. She was really big into Sacred Harp Singings...some people call it fa-so-la singing. It's where instead of using a musical instrument, the people will sing the notes prior to singing the words.

Edited by No Nicolaitans

Calvinist and

The original baptists in England were particular baptists. Their Confessions of faith in 1644, 1646, 1689, 1966, 1973. were all particular baptist, and were more or less consistent.  General baptists came later, from them came all the other baptist variations, including extreme Calvinist, Strict and Particular,  

Baptists have been Baptists ever since Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, they originated from John the Baptist, Jesus Christ, and the apostles.  They did not originate in England.  Some groups of believers who called themselves Baptists emerged after the dark ages but they follow a Confession of faith which is not the Bible.

Real Baptists follow the Bible, not Confessions of Faith.

All of these complications of what being a Baptist is, or where Baptists came from, are nothing but revisionist history which falls  right in line with the modern teaching in our colleges which promotes Constantine as representative of all Christians, and Protestants including Baptists as rebels against Catholicism.  They do all they can to ignore the chain of believers throughout history from the time of the apostles forward.

That doesn't apply here as there are no IFBs in this area and I am not sure if there are any in England,  I believe that there is an American trying to get one going in Scotland, but I have heard he is a Ruckmanite.   

There's one started in Leek, by a Michael Reed. 

Calvinist and

Baptists have been Baptists ever since Jesus was baptized by John the Baptist, they originated from John the Baptist, Jesus Christ, and the apostles.  They did not originate in England.  Some groups of believers who called themselves Baptists emerged after the dark ages but they follow a Confession of faith which is not the Bible.

All of these complications of what being a Baptist is, or where Baptists came from, are nothing but revisionist history which falls  right in line with the modern teaching in our colleges which promotes Constantine as representative of all Christians, and Protestants including Baptists as rebels against Catholicism.  They do all they can to ignore the chain of believers throughout history from the time of the apostles forward.

Where did American Baptists come from?

Calvinist and

Easily said, but can you prove it from history?

I can prove it from the Bible.  Any history that disagrees with or pretends to be authoritative over the Bible is from Hell.  Calvinism is from Hell.  

where did John the Baptist come from? 

As  said before, John the Baptist was an OT prophet. The most lowly Christian is greater than he.

True, and there is no line of Baptists from Bible times to today, and there didn't need to be and doesn't need to be. For the most part, until the Catholic Church began organizing (or Orthodox Church if one wants to go by their reckoning) followers of Christ were simply known as Christians. Denominational names came much later. Various groups of Christians after the RCC became a dread power often came to be known by their main "pastor", as it were, or the region they were from. Those actually called Baptists came well over a thousand years after the birth of Christianity. Even then, as today, there were various factions of Baptists. We also should remember IFBs have only been around for a little over a hundred years and today that doesn't mean what it once did among many who identify as IFB.

The Catholics and Orthodox think it extremely important to trace their origin to the Apostles. Little wonder since they are secular and cultural Christians only. True Christians don't need to trace a particular church name back to the Apostles because they are born again in Christ, saved by grace through faith, no particular church required for this to happen, no particular church need add their seal of approval or official sanction.

If a Baptist church follows Christ and seeks to live by the Word, they do well. If a Baptist church fails to do those things they are no different than any other gathering of lost folks in a worldly church building.

Christ is what matters. Are we linked to Christ through salvation in His name? That's the link that's important.

where can I find online resource for soild Baptist reading material or semons? some label it baptist baptist baptist or 100% without other denomination influence

not bapticostal, not baptist-adventist, not reformed baptist just "Baptist"

where can I find online resource for soild Baptist reading material or semons? some label it baptist baptist baptist or 100% without other denomination influence

not bapticostal, not baptist-adventist, not reformed baptist just "Baptist"

That would depend upon what you are specifically looking for. No matter what Baptist pastors or authors someone directs us to there will be those in disagreement with them. Spurgeon, Rice, Hyles, Rogers, as well as a myriad of others, have some great material available but there are points with each of them that some will disagree with. Some will use their material and separate out the few bits they don't like, others will reject all of their material outright.

Pastor Scott Markle, who posts here, has some excellent books, including one entitled "God's Wisdom For Marriage & the Home", which is the most thorough and grounded by an abundance of Scripture on the subject I've ever read. Yet even in the case of this fine pastor, as we see in some postings here, there are those who don't agree with him on all other points.

The best we can discover are books written by born again men of God who strive to expound upon the Word of God in accord with the Word of God. Even then, we as humans can't always manage to keep out opinion, denominational teaching, tradition, something our parents or others instilled in us.

Besides the book mentioned above, another very good book, this one on prayer, is "Prayer: Asking and Receiving", by John R. Rice. If you consider that book, be sure to get the unabridged full edition, not the smaller abridged version.

It would depend upon the topic of interest as to what authors myself or others might point to.

Also, just as there are poor Baptist works out there, there are also some good material by those who were not Baptist. Again, regardless of the affiliation of the author, a person has to use discernment.

Have you got a link? Google couldn't find him. I hope its not Michael Reid.

Michael & Katrina Reed, with Baptist Missions to Forgotten Peoples (BMFP). They originally had started a church in Scotland, but there were some issues (can't remember what) and after furlough they went to England. I can't find much info on their new location - BMFP hasn't updated the site yet.  I did find this newsletter: http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/233/048/036/ReidMar15.pdf.  Our church supports them - so I certainly hope they're not Ruckmanite.

Thanks, Salyan - he's not the Michael Reid I am aware of. Are the English considered "forgotten peoples?" 

Our church - near Heathrow Airport - has a Pakistani Pastor who is supported by our group of churches originally as a home missions outreach to the local population of South Asians & Eastern Europeans. 

Michael & Katrina Reed, with Baptist Missions to Forgotten Peoples (BMFP). They originally had started a church in Scotland, but there were some issues (can't remember what) and after furlough they went to England. I can't find much info on their new location - BMFP hasn't updated the site yet.  I did find this newsletter: http://0101.nccdn.net/1_5/233/048/036/ReidMar15.pdf.  Our church supports them - so I certainly hope they're not Ruckmanite.

The property at 

30, Ashenhurst Way, Leek, Staffordshire, ST13 5SB  was sold on 26 Feb 2006

so presumably they moved there then?

Edited by Invicta