birdlover99

My personal life

Question

I have been feeling this pull lately to change my life to be more appropriate for a follower of the Lord and have been browsing the bible. One verse I came along is 1 Timothy 2:9. "In like manner also, that the woman adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing." I have very long hair and find that braiding my hair is convenient and helpful in doing daily activities and work. Is this wrong? or is it more on fancy braids that are meant to be showy? I don't wear gold, pearls, jewelry, or costly clothing. I'm not braiding my hair to be pretty, just being practical. Another thing that has been bothering me is my personal relationship. My boyfriend and I have been together for 4.5 years, have two children and live together in every way possible. We are married in everyway but having the government legalize it. Is this a problem? We live together, share our money, share responsibility of the kids, we both work but me only part time so I stay home with the kids most of the time. He provides for us almost completely; he could if I didn't work. I choose to work to make it a little easier on him and give me a little time away from the family. I only work 3 days a week and that is when the kids go to see grandma. So what do you think about a simply braid and my relationship 

7 answers to this question

I would add something, as well.

Concerning the hair, it is 'broided', a slight difference from 'braided.'  Broided does, indeed, mean braided, but it is a more extensive, fancy way of doing it.   Think:

03b217529ca5c1473f791e4ff1dc267c.jpg

The word does refer to a basket weave, as well as a braid. Excessiveness. Having done a study on the issue of hair, when I was researching a thesis on the headcovering, I found that, areound the time Paul dealt with hair and covering in 1Cor 11, women in the Roman and Greek cultures were leaving behind covering their heads, and thus, found they wanted to do something with their hair. So some of the wealthier women began to have contests to see who could have the most ornate, excessive hairstyles. This is where the broiding and plaiting warnings come from. Sometimes they would take 8-10 hours working on their hair, and would not wash it for months, to preserve it, even making special neck holders for when they slept, so their hair would not touch the bed. It was excessive and attention-drawing, and this was what Paul was trying to warn about. A woman can have an attractive hairstyle, and can wear jewelry and even a little make-up just fine, but it is excessiveness that Paul sought to teach against, because that is an aspect of modesty.

As for marriage, I agree with Covenanter. However, do you know that, if you have a Bible with a record of marriage in the front, you can use that in place of a license. Have the pastor/officiant, bride, groom and witnesses sign it, take it to the courthouse and have them copy it and record it, and it is a legal, binding document.

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

Some will take Scriptures like "not braiding the hair" & the other negatives of 1 Peter 3:3 & make them into commands, after all, long hair is Scriptural. The positives of v.4 are more important.  1 Cor. 11:1-16 presents a challenge to interpreters. Modest dress & hair style are appropriate for Christian women. 

And I would recommend legal marriage. You are clearly fully committed to each other. Then there can be no criticism, & you will be a godly example in this perverse age. Far too many live together, have children, & then separate with resultant problems, especially for the children, & especially if their parents take on new partners.

May God guide you. As you draw near to him, you will be drawn nearer to each other. 

Genevanpreacher likes this

depending on state laws you may already be married.  some states have "common law' marriage which means if someone lives together long enough the state recognizes them as married.  even if you are legally married, I would advise going through a proper church ceremony to set a good example for your children.  you haven't mentioned if your boyfriend claims to be Christian.  as you seek to live your life more in line with God's word that may cause problems with him if he has no desire to do the same.  Not mentioning this to discourage you, but it is something you need to recognize and pray about.

Miss Daisy likes this

You hit the nail on the head, trapperhoney, he says he's a Christian but he doesn't live his life like it. 1 Corinthians 7:12 "To the others I say (I, myself, not the Lord): if a Christian man has a wife who is an unbeliever and she agrees to go on living with him, he must not divorce her." I love him completely but he isn't big on the actual marriage in today's society. His belief is that we are already married in every way possible, why do we need the paper to prove it. 

I can understand his feelings and see the truth in it, because it really us true. There really wouldn't be much difference between us know and us married except having it blessed by the Lord and legalized for the world to accept. I'm torn though. I really want to honor the Lord and I know being with a man outside marriage is a no no, but I also know I love my man and am not willing to give him up either.  

One thing you have to consider in this is what your marriage/non-marriage says to unbelieving world and young people who can be influenced by your situation. Truly, it's not about a piece of paper, tax benefits, a ring, or even a ceremony. Rather, it is about making a public commitment to one another and entering into a lifelong covenant not just with each other, but with God. Marriage is not about how you live, it is about commitment and it's a reflection of God's character.

Alan and Covenanter like this

Even the heathen have a public ceremony when they enter into marriage  to show their commitment to one another.

Once upon a time, back in 1958, we were students helping a local church in visiting & tracting. One of our number expressed concern that many of the families in the slum area were not married. 

With this in mind, I asked the Vicar about whether a formal, legal marriage was Biblical, & whether faithful living together was what marriage was all about.

I made a bad mistake - Ann was with me - and what followed was a very serious rebuke & lecture as if I were proposing our cohabitation, rather than commenting on the folk in his parish. 

=======

In this day & age, many youngsters, & not so young are cohabiting, & diverse sex couples join in "marriage" on the basis of love, as if sexual love were all-important. And after a while they move on, often leaving children & other consequences including STD, emotional problems in favour of a new temporary relationship. The emphasis must be on a permanent relationship, not an emotion that can pass when other emotions, & the "boredom" of living with one who finds life a struggle, & sex doesn't add significantly to the pleasure of life. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Andersonite
      Please pray for my family, brothers and sisters in Christ. I was an abusive, drug addict, drinking, adulterous husband in the past. My wife left me three years ago because of it.  She was also adulterous. I have since been saved, am completely regenerate in Christ, but my wife is not.  We have since started dating for 2 months, still living separate. She is now pregnant, praise God, but I am afraid she might be considering an abortion. Please pray for us. I don't think you need our names, God knows who we are and He will know that you are praying for our situation.
    • By Bangoo james
      I am a 20 young christian electrical engineer (studying at a Polytechnic University + working in Electrical Power Systems) from Europe, and I want to ask you for some godly advice concerning marriage, more exactly arranged marriages. First of all, before I say something about this, I want to ask if God has picked a spouse for everyone. The idea for me is that there is no specific Bible verse or passage that speaks of God picking specific persons for us to marry. There are four examples, Adam, Isaac, Hosea and Joseph, concerning God arranging marriages but all of these were special circumstances and I don't see how can we build a doctrine on special interventios of God to stipulate that He arranges marriages. The Bible speaks of finding wife but it also says that a good spouse is a gift from God. Apostle Paul says if someone decides freely in his heart then to marry his duaghter and in the following verse he also says that if someone single decides the same then he also should get married. Moreover, God through the Holy Spirit advised us to choose not to marry, saying that he who marries does god but he who not does better because he is concerned with God's work and not with pleasing a spouse. He also wants to spare us from the hardship of marriage and life. He recommends us virginity and celibacy and seeking the Kingdom but also encourages us to marry due to immorality. I for one don't have this gift and I know for sure that I can't stand to be single in celibacy so I will get married. Moreover, Bible talks about Abraham taking a wife, Judah taking a wife etc. Proverbs 31 was written for helping young men find a good godly wife. I agree that God guides us through the Holy Spirit and gives us wisdom to seek and find a wife. The Bible says that we should inform God of our plans and intentions and He will bring things to pass. But it is one thing to say that God guides us and something else to say that He is picking spouses for everyone. It is certain for me that the story of soul mates is mythical and originates from movies, romantic novels and from Plato's philosophy. There are some logical problems I find with this issue. If God picks someone for everybody what happens if the person dies? Isn't the story of soul mates wrong? Because Bible encourages remarrying after the spouse's death. But what if one chooses the life of celibacy even if he is not gifted with this? What will happen than? What's the point of love then if God arranges everything? Who is to blame because so many young men and women are not yet married and is not sure that they will ever be? And moreover the Bible says that love is a choice and not a sentiment based on feelings. It involves feelings but basicaly is not this. It is strange because if we carefully put into action the biblical pattern for love and marriage roles described by Paul then we could get married with anyone and have the most happiest marriage from all times. And if we're honest, I think that in the end everybody chooses freely to marry with someone not because God said them to do so. There are examples of people that are saying that their marriaged was arranged by God and I don't know what to say than just affirm that there is no biblical support that God promised or sweared to us that He will arrange our marriages. Better is to say that God is guiding them through the Holy Spirit and helping in the process of finding someone to marry. In the end, if God arranges marriages shouldn't be them perfect? Why is that that these are not? I am saying all these to you because as I've said I am on the point of having an arranged marriage and I am very concerned to do God's will in my life. It was not our parents idea of arranged marriage, but ours: we at some point in life (each one individually) told our parents to look for a spouse for us and from this particular point things evolved until her parents found me and my parents found her. It is not a forced marriage neither from me nor from her. We have freely decided to marry each other and there is no pressure from our parents to act this way so we are not forced into marriage. I want to kindly ask for some godly advice concerning this idea that God has specific persons in His mind for us. It would be against God's will if we would have an arranged marriage? From what Scripture says I think not and more than that there is good biblical suport that God will bless our marriage giving the fact that we will be marrying in the Lord.  Thank you for your attention and I hope that we will be in touch very soon. I am looking forward for your answer. Yours sincerely, Stephen
    • By Jordan Kurecki
      I have some questions requests for you.
      1. How did God bring you and your spouse together?
      2. Did you have any doubts about whether or not it was God's will for you to marry your spouse?
      3. What advice can you give to a young man like myself who is seeking to find the right spouse?
      4. add anything else you feel relevant.
    • By That Guy
      Hello, I'm new here. Literally 10 minutes new. I'll just jump right into the reason I signed up, and decided to post. I'm hoping there's hope for guys like me. I got married before I was saved, and divorced before I was saved, and that was 17 or 18 years ago. I'm older, but by no means old (40), and have a lot of life left in me if The Lord permits me to live a long life, or doesn't come back first. Everything I've seen says I cannot remarry, and since my original wife was unsaved, and is now remarried there's no hope of reconcilliation.

Some Christians do go on to marry again regardless, but it doesn't look like that's something that God's going to permit. Feeling pretty hopeless about life. What's a guy to do? Any thoughts? Did I just mess up, and that's the end of that?
    • By allyoop89
      I don't even know where to begin.  So, I'm 15, I'm a Christian and BTW, homeschooled (I guess you can tell that I don't like being homeschooled, it's caused half the prOBlems I'm having currently..) Anyways... So last year this really ugly guy who looks like a 12 year old (and acts like one) who's really weird and nerdy and OBSESSED with harry Potter (that's another story) and dresses like a little kid too, started coming to my homeschool-group.  Well, I, needless to say, do NOT like him. But the other day I was praying to God inmyu quiet time and somehow got the thought that that boy is the one I'm going to marry. Ugh. It makes me want to throw up just thinking about it. I don't want to marry him. EVER. I'm only 15. WHy is God doing this to me? DO you think this is really God's will? Do you think He will let me choose if I want to or not or do I HAVE to. I have been absolutly miserable for days now and I need some advice. I don't want to marry someone like that. WIll God let me choose who I want to marry or is he forcing me to marry him? HELP ME. Why would God do this to me?