Online Baptist

Want to want to be saved

Question

Guest Chloe   
Guest Chloe

I have struggled for years with this.  I went up in a  church at 6 or 7 years old.  Mostly out of a fear of going to hell.  From then on I basically concentrated on self and ran wild in life.  At 29 I married a Christian.  Since then I have tried:  Convincing myself I am saved; praying the sinners prayer; crying in silence and begging God for an end to the torment of not being certain.  The thing I come back to is I try to study His word, pray to Him and for very short periods of time I will do what is right but inevitably I fall back into sin and seem to wallow in it for longer periods of time.  So is my commitment not right?  I love my spouse very much and am committed to them, I guess, although there are times when I fantasize about other people.  The sin of lust I guess.  So my question is, "Is this lack of consistency a "stronghold" to be overcome, or is it evidence that I am not saved"?

3 answers to this question

This is the first I've seen this thread and yet it appears to have been here for over a month!

The fact your sins bother you as they do, that you fall away but "come back", as it were, are probably good signs you are saved. Yet, as GP said above, that's between you and God as we can't tell such from a post.

If a person is saved, yet has not grown or grown only a little in maturity of the Word it's common for them to live a rather roller coaster life. Without growth in Christ to learn how to withstand temptations a person is likely to give into such often. If we attempt to live right on our own we will fail because living for Christ requires His strength and wisdom.

On matters you know are sin and temptations to sin, especially very serious matters such as fantasizing about someone other than your spouse, be very careful! Don't play with such thoughts, don't allow them to keep playing in your mind. As Jesus said, such lusting is committing adultery in your heart. If we give ourselves over to continual lusting of the heart, eventually that will open the door for outright adultery.

As GP said, get in the Word, spend time reading the Bible daily, pray often, get involved in a church that preaches the Bible, find Christian friends. If you seek to live for the Lord, calling upon Him to help you, He will help.

I am sorry Cloe, that nobody has answered your post here. Please do not take it personally.

As a Christian myself, the life of living as a believer in Jesus Christ, is not always cut and dried.

Many things weaken the mind and the purpose of one who wants to follow Jesus.

Cleaning out your life by reading the Bible more, listening to Godly preaching more, and doing wrong things less, on purpose, will enhance your happiness.

Whether you are saved or not, that is between you and the Lord.

If you believe in Jesus Christ, with all your heart, the scriptures say you are saved. And proof is that you have a desire to live God's way over your own way.

Stay in his word and do not stop until you get it right.

One more thing - open your heart to your husband about your concerns.

Edited by Genevanpreacher

I have struggled for years with this.  I went up in a  church at 6 or 7 years old.  Mostly out of a fear of going to hell.  From then on I basically concentrated on self and ran wild in life.  At 29 I married a Christian.  Since then I have tried:  Convincing myself I am saved; praying the sinners prayer; crying in silence and begging God for an end to the torment of not being certain.  The thing I come back to is I try to study His word, pray to Him and for very short periods of time I will do what is right but inevitably I fall back into sin and seem to wallow in it for longer periods of time.  So is my commitment not right?  I love my spouse very much and am committed to them, I guess, although there are times when I fantasize about other people.  The sin of lust I guess.  So my question is, "Is this lack of consistency a "stronghold" to be overcome, or is it evidence that I am not saved"?

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=102115135654

please listen to this sermon, it will help you.