Photo

Beekeeping

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 heartstrings

heartstrings

He shall feed his flock like a shepherd....

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

I once was the captain of our track team, ya know.....
Now that I'm 48 and several pounds heavier, I'm certain the bees would catch me.

One thing you might want is a 'slinger' to extract your honey. A couple of smokers and some dried leaves is a must. We used to make our own hives and they're super-simple to do with just a table saw. There's also a little hot wire contraption made for melting new wax into the wires of the sections or "supers". But you can probably get them pre-made. I've about forgotten the names of all that stuff, but then I was never too interested in it. If you can't find everything you need, I also have two brethren in my church who are beekeepers.

#2 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 22 April 2009 - 01:17 PM

Heartstrings,
You have lightened my day. That was hilarious! The record sprinter. :Green

We have just started and are going to wade in slowly, but are excited either way. We got the full keeper suit so (hopefully) we won't get the fire stung out of us. I have a chronic arthritis problem and have been stung before (not on purpose, can relate to the sprinting scenario,) but noticed my pain went away in my hand for three days. We also know local honey is good for allergies, as well as other bee products that help in a mirriade of ways.

Ben

#3 "I am chief"

"I am chief"

1 Tim. 1:15

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,398 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

I have recently began collecting the items necessary for beekeeping. Do any of you have bee hives?

Ben

I have a good friend at my church who keeps bees. We were discussing it today while working at the church. It was partly sunny today and before the next round of showers showed up he thought about setting some of his hives out. He said if it rained he wouldn't be able to set them out. Jay doesn't get on line that I'm aware of but, I'll mention to him that a friend has an interest in it.

#4 Revelation3:20

Revelation3:20

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

I don't keep bees, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try someday.

#5 heartstrings

heartstrings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2009 - 02:16 PM

My Dad used to own a few down by the woods, across the railroad tracks, behind our house. I distinctly remember the last time I helped him........remember it like it was yesterday

And after 30+ years, I am still the world record holder at sprinting from the woods, across the railroad tracks, to our house... Oh yes.

And I out-ran them too...could hear those little devils hitting that screen door trying to get at me. :Green

Well, now, that dissolved any notion I'd ever had about giving beekeeping a try! Tenacious little buggers, aren't they--all the way to the screen door--Wow!! :lol:

Oh no......
Don't let me discourage you...

I'm just a coward when it comes to bees.
Any man(or woman) who has the bravery to be a beekeeper is a HERO in my eyes. You have all my respect and admiration. :clap: :thumb

#6 bzmomo7

bzmomo7

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 April 2009 - 01:06 PM

My Dad used to own a few down by the woods, across the railroad tracks, behind our house. I distinctly remember the last time I helped him........remember it like it was yesterday

And after 30+ years, I am still the world record holder at sprinting from the woods, across the railroad tracks, to our house... Oh yes.

And I out-ran them too...could hear those little devils hitting that screen door trying to get at me. :Green

Well, now, that dissolved any notion I'd ever had about giving beekeeping a try! Tenacious little buggers, aren't they--all the way to the screen door--Wow!! :lol:

#7 heartstrings

heartstrings

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,326 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:34 PM

#8 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

I have recently began collecting the items necessary for beekeeping. Do any of you have bee hives?

Ben

#9 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:24 PM

We went to a meeting of a local beekeepers assoc. to introduce "new-bees" :wink to beekeeping. They gave some tickets out at the door and my wife and I won some door prizes. We also got another ticket and won a basic bee hive kit.
Posted Image
This setup was from Brushy Mountain Bee Farm here in Tennessee. We have spoken to an organic beekeeper in our area and he is going to help us get started. A 3 pound package (10,000 bees,) is $78.00. These are what they call a 4.9mm bee which is smaller than the popular 5.4mm bee. The 4.9mm is not suseptable to the trachia mite, a common problem to bees. They are also very hardy, but not as popular as the larger 5.4mm bee.

They also gave us the book, 'First Lessons in Beekeeping,' updated, but originally written in 1917 by Charles P. Dadant.
Posted Image
Absolutley fascinating. I have enjoyed it thoroughly, and I'll go on to say, even if you are not going to become a beekeeper, this is a good read. Home schoolers would really gain great insights into the world of bees and honey with it.

Ben

#10 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:34 PM

We fianlly got hooked up with the beekeeper and bought our 3 lb package (approx. 10,000 bees.) We installed them and they are doing well. We took pics, but I need to download my camara. I'll post some pics as soon as I do. This has been real neat and the children really like it too.

Ben

#11 trc123

trc123

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

I thought there was some disease that was killing all the bees? The media seemed to make it look as if they are in danger of going extinct.

#12 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:49 PM

We fianlly got hooked up with the beekeeper and bought our 3 lb package (approx. 10,000 bees.) We installed them and they are doing well. We took pics, but I need to download my camara. I'll post some pics as soon as I do. This has been real neat and the children really like it too.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures. Interesting stuff, but I do not think I can become a beekeeper.

#13 bzmomo7

bzmomo7

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

Yes! Very interesting...........I would love to see your pics, too. How much honey will your 10,000 bees make for you to harvest?

#14 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 July 2009 - 03:55 PM

Make sure you count those 10,000 bees, you don't want them to short you on any. :lol:

#15 war_eagle

war_eagle

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:35 AM

Ben

Not yet. We have a neighbor who's a bee keeper and he makes quite a bit of money from it. He's offered to teach me and I'm seriously considering taking him up on it.

We're also going to put up a pen in the creek behind our house and raise our own catfish, but that's another story.

#16 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 20 July 2009 - 04:51 PM

Here is a picture my wife posted somewhere else. I'll post some more soon. I have already added another medium super (box full of frames,) to my original hive. And...no, Bro. Matt, I ain't doing a bee count...one...OUCH...two...OUCH...three...OUCH...you get the picture.

Ben

Posted Image

#17 777

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:42 PM

Cool, although I could never do this - severly allergic to insect stings - there ARE a lot of people out here that have been bee-keeping for generations - it's almost a lost art.

Some of them do make a good living at it, come to think of it. Good luck with it.

#18 PreacherBen

PreacherBen

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
Good

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

More bee pics
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500