Roselove

Early church eternal security

Question

I have a question about eternal security and the early church. 
I have been wondering about this for quite some time, but i just can't find a straight- forward answer. 
I've read many websites, forums, old texts, greek terminology in the Bible, etc. and i just can't find anything that is pro-eternal security, from anywhere in the earliest church age. What my pastor and one of the teachers at my church told me, was that the reason it looked like people didn't believe in eternal security in the early church, was because it didn't fit the Catholic doctrine, which was who was domineering at the time. But, via my research, i have seen that there appears to be no evidence, that anyone taught eternal security before the Catholic church, either. 
Why is this? Can you please help me understand? I just find it hard to believe in it because of this and the fact that in the original greek verb tenses of a lot of the verses used to justify eternal security, actually appear not to. With all of this in mind, plus the verses that seem to say you can indeed, forfeit your salvation, i am just having a hard time understanding this. 
I know also, that it didn't seem to be a thing until the reformation movement with calvinists and stuff. So I'm pretty sure the doctrine was based on the belief of predestination. 
I would really appreciate your feedback. 
Thanks! 

56 answers to this question

1 hour ago, 1Timothy115 said:

Roselove, I know it may be after the fact but, you did look at Strongs Concordance as a source for defining the "believeth" in John 3:16? I don't know Greek so I have to use my Strong's. Just didn't want to leave a stone unturned.

I have never used that before, is that something that you can use online?

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

7 minutes ago, Roselove said:

I have never used that before, is that something that you can use online?

Okay, i found a page on Bible Hub about it. It's a little confusing to understand. But I'm able to get a litte out of it, that i get. 

A lot of it is just in Greek, which makes it more confusing. Do you know of like a beginners website or something? Sorry, since I'm new to this, Idk how it works.

6 minutes ago, Roselove said:

Okay, i found a page on Bible Hub about it. It's a little confusing to understand. But I'm able to get a litte out of it, that i get. 

A lot of it is just in Greek, which makes it more confusing. Do you know of like a beginners website or something? Sorry, since I'm new to this, Idk how it works.

I'm not a fan of Bible Hub, but it seems to be the easiest to use.

1. Go to the link below.
  2. Click a book of the Bible that you want to read.
  3. Hover your mouse pointer over a word(s) to see the Strong's definition (not really sure if it's Strong's or not...sorry).

http://biblehub.com/kjvs/

1Timothy115 likes this

9 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I'm not a fan of Bible Hub, but it seems to be the easiest to use.

1. Go to the link below.
  2. Click a book of the Bible that you want to read.
  3. Hover your mouse pointer over a word(s) to see the Strong's definition (not really sure if it's Strong's or not...sorry).

http://biblehub.com/kjvs/

Thanks! I looked it up, it was helpful! 

No Nicolaitans and 1Timothy115 like this

19 hours ago, Roselove said:

Thanks! I looked it up, it was helpful! 

Sometimes I just assume everyone has the same information I do. I really am sorry I didn't mention the Strong's earlier. I have to use it for Old Testament Hebrew and New Testament Greek definitions. Now, good hunting.

NN, thanks for helping Roselove get the feel for it.

Roselove and No Nicolaitans like this

On 3/19/2017 at 6:13 AM, 1611mac said:

Something simple to think about....  If something is known to be true and it is accepted fact then it usually doesn't get written about (and thus there is no "controversy" untill later when some apostate starts pushing false doctrine.   So silence on ANY subject MAY simply mean that it was generally accepted as truth.

I think this line of reasoning also applies to gifts  of the Holy Spirit. I imagine the early churches accepted faith hope and love as remaining gifts without needing to declare for a long time.  Then with Pentecostalism and Charismatic influence later you see the reasoning of the cessation of spiritual gifts aside from faith hope and love being written about.

Alan likes this