heartstrings

Woodworking

41 posts in this topic

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

I enjoy working with wood as well.  Have both power tools and old school hand tools.  I'd like to become more proficient with both and switch completely to the latter as my health and strength returns.  Bought my first two box planes, one I'll use in building a pair of bookcases which will be assembled without any screws save for some finishing nails on the back to secure the wainscoting back board.  

I'd like to give each of my children and my wife a hope (blanket) chest made in the old ways well.  I've been switching from screws to cut nails on some projects, they look so cool but I reckon none would look even better!

Brother S. and heartstrings like this

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Brother Stafford said:

Yes, I made ukuleles, but, as I said above, I no longer associate with that sort of music.

You mean this kind of music?

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:08 PM, Brother Stafford said:

Yes, I made ukuleles, but, as I said above, I no longer associate with that sort of music.

1 hour ago, Ukulelemike said:

You mean this kind of music?

Yes.  I mean that kind of music.

12 minutes ago, Brother Stafford said:

Yes.  I mean that kind of music.

So you don't figure ukulele is a proper instrument for singing hymns with? And no, I'm not offended if you do, just curious, or is it my playing? Because I am always interested in honest, constructive criticism. Otherwise we never grow.

3 minutes ago, Ukulelemike said:

So you don't figure ukulele is a proper instrument for singing hymns with? And no, I'm not offended if you do, just curious, or is it my playing? Because I am always interested in honest, constructive criticism. Otherwise we never grow.

Because of the associations of ukuleles with certain types of music and lifestyles, I don't believe that it is appropriate to use that instrument with the things of God.  It is typically seen as a novelty and a silly instrument and God deserves fear and reverence:

• (Psalms 33:8) "Let all the earth fear the LORD: let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him."
  • (Luke 1:50) "And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation."
  • (Hebrews 12:28-29) "Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: {29} For our God is a consuming fire."

I am also of the belief that the type of rhythm associated with ukuleles, including the rhythm shown in the video, is not a godly rhythm. More on that here.

@Jim_Alaska Perhaps you can move this part of the conversation to the music area, so as not to derail your thread.

Posted (edited)

Psalm 150

1Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp.

4Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with stringed instruments and organs.

5Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.

6Let every thing that hath breath praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

It don't specify brother....The Ukelele was invented long before freaks like "Tiny Tim" came on the scene. It's just an instrument with strings and nothing more. So if Brother Uke wants to play his teenyweenie guitar, I have no problem with it at all.

Edited by heartstrings

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, heartstrings said:

It don't specify brother....The Ukelele was invented long before revolting freaks like "Tiny Tim" came on the scene. It's just an instrument with strings and nothing more. So if Brother Uke wants to play his teenyweenie guitar, I have no problem with it at all.

Please re-read my post.  It is not only the instrument itself, but the rhythms and associations that the world has with ukuleles, with which I disagree.  Tiny Tim did not invent the rhythms of the ukulele and ukuleles have been associated with half naked Hawaiian women, debaucherous sailors and dirty songs since before the first world war.

I feel the same way about electric guitars, basses, steel guitars, banjos, kazoos and drum kits as well; and I used to own a company that made many of those things and more.  To my knowledge, there are five stringed instruments in the Bible: the harp, the lyre, the psaltry, the dulcimer and the "instrument of ten strings" (Psalms 33:2).  Just because the Bible says that we are to worship God with stringed instruments, it doesn't mean that every stringed instrument is appropriate with which to worship Him.

Is this stringed instrument appropriate for the worship of God?  

bc-rich-kerry-king-signature-7-warlock-t

How about this ukulele?

dean-uk-07012015.png

Or perhaps this one?

67_cover_23599-740x359.png

or this:

a9ef5d00d415e9bd6854b518e80a77fb.jpg

or even this one?

pikasso-guitar.png

"It don't specify," right brother?

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it.

Edited by Brother Stafford

Posted (edited)

By the way,

• Oliver Hardy, known to strum the ukulele, was a thrice married, twice divorced freemason.  
  • Don Ho was a serial adulterer; having four of his ten children with his mistresses.
  • Sol Ho'opi'i, formerly one of my heroes, was an heretical Pentecostal and followed a woman faith healer, who, herself, was twice divorced.
  • Tiny Tim was a thrice married, twice divorced sodomite ("bisexual").

When people think ukulele, they think of those people.  The younger generations have more younger players to who they listen and make the above mentioned look like angels.  These are some of the reasons that I have made the decision to separate myself from the ukulele and other instruments.

Edited by Brother Stafford

1 hour ago, Brother Stafford said:

By the way,

• Oliver Hardy, known to strum the ukulele, was a thrice married, twice divorced freemason.  
  • Don Ho was a serial adulterer; having four of his ten children with his mistresses.
  • Sol Ho'opi'i, formerly one of my heroes, was an heretical Pentecostal and followed a woman faith healer, who, herself, was twice divorced.
  • Tiny Tim was a thrice married, twice divorced sodomite ("bisexual").

When people think ukulele, they think of those people.  The younger generations have more younger players to who they listen and make the above mentioned look like angels.  These are some of the reasons that I have made the decision to separate myself from the ukulele and other instruments.

None of these people were sinners due to the ukulele. Every known instrument can be associated with wicked people-Elton John, Jerry Lee Lewis and Paul McCartney play a mean piano, yet pianos remain one of the most accepted instruments in churches.

And for what it's worth, (and this is not an endorsement of his), Tiny Tim wasn't bisexual-he was extremely Aspergers-his effeminate mannerism were due to his childhood-as a child he was rather ignored by his parents-watching a lot of movies and listening to music, he somehow caught on the idea that Shirley Temple got a LOT of attention, so if acted like her, so would he. That kind of stuck in his life. He was, otherwise, generous to a fault, and there is evicdence that he may have gotten saved toward the end of his life. But time will tell, These in no way disregard his faults in marriage, though his aspergers would explain why women didn't stay with him.

As for ukulele in general, I'm not trying to defend it-it was the instrument I taught myself, having no instrumental background, shortly before becoming a pastor, because I didn't know if I was going to be part of a church that had a musician or not, or even statrting a new work. I thought guitar first, but I have fat stubby fingers and so chose the uke, since it has a smaller fret measurement and 2 less strings, thus easier to play. And over the years I have better learned to control the rythyms and such to make it simpler and less jazzy, with a proper 1/3 rather than 2/4. It took time and care because the natural tendency is 2/4.    BUt, all that being said, I respect your position on it and thanks for your words.

1 hour ago, heartstrings said:

Hmmmmm.....

Knowing brother Stafford's position, I wonder why you posted this at all, and moreso since you specifically directed it at him?

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

1 hour ago, DaveW said:

Hmmmmm.....

Knowing brother Stafford's position, I wonder why you posted this at all, and moreso since you specifically directed it at him?

Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Looks like you've made your judgment.

2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Looks like you've made your judgment.

I was referring to the stumblingblock part actually.....

If you feel like that is being judgemental, then take it as you will.

My reading: You know full well what his point of view is regarding such instruments, and you DIRECTED your post specifically at him, if you will, flaunting it right in his face.

I see that as deliberately putting a stumblingblock in his path.

You can disagree with his point of view - and in fact I do - but you have put a stumblingblock before him.

Again, if you feel that is me being judgemental, then go for it - but I didn't WRITE THE VERSE.....

Brother Stafford and myself have found ourselves engaged in a little "banter" over the last few days, if I have put a stumblingblock before either of you, I apologize.

swathdiver likes this

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor