Photo

Winkler murder

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2008 - 07:51 PM

She spent a grand total of 12 days in jail and 2 years in psychiatric care.

She should have served more time, IMO. And, regardless of what he did---I believe she needs psychiatric care for let's say---the rest of her life.

I can't help but think she got off easy because she claimed her preacher husband mentally and emotionally abused her. I guess we really don't know, maybe he did....but still....seems like religion played a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury.

She should have thought of talking to someone (and getting help) before murdering her husband. Now, her children are at risk? :loco ITA, religion did play "a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury." Sorry, I would label this woman as a "Black Widow." The whole thing is ludicrous, IMO. And, not that I am fond of Paris Hilton, but at the same time this was going on---Paris was served with a greater sentence for drinking and driving. She didn't serve out her whole term, but---Murder of a spouse/Drinking and Driving (where no one was physically hurt???) :uuhm: Where is the justice?

#2 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

Saw in Fox News that Winkler is home and has full custody of all her children. She spent a grand total of 12 days in jail and 2 years in psychiatric care.

I can't help but think she got off easy because she claimed her preacher husband mentally and emotionally abused her. I guess we really don't know, maybe he did....but still....seems like religion played a part in getting extra sympathy (anti religious sympathy) from the jury.

I always think of those Thompson brothers stuck in prison for decades down in Texas when women like this get off SO easy..... wow.

#3 joyfulpraise93

joyfulpraise93

Super Contributor

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

Interesting how this thread went from the Winkler Murder to Rifleman! :P

Anyways I DO see a relation between violence and TV. Yet another reason Samer and I have decided not to have a television in our home. If we want to watch anything we watch it on the computer, and that not very often. I've noticed in the past if I watch crime shows I tend to have violent dreams and random thoughts cross my mind that shouldn't be there. I'm glad that TV isn't a part of my life anymore.

I feel sorry for the Thompson brothers...though I feel what they did was excessive. On eof my close friends went to their Bible college for a few semesters and said that there was some strange stuff going on...so I don't really know what to think. God is a faithful Judge, though, and the Judge of the earth will do right. God knows the truth about all these situations (Winkler and Thompson) and justice will be done in one way or the other.

#4 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

Waiting patiently (ahem) for grandchildren...

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:27 PM

Whats with old westerns and guys? Ugh! My hubby too, and he gets my kids involved too. Sheesh....

I really don't get it either. Although, "The Riffleman" series from awhile ago has a Christian based theme. It is pretty good. :thumb

:lol: :lol: I think it's a guy thing...although I like the Rifleman!! We got a set of 80 episodes a while back (still have a looong way to go through them! :lol: ) because my hubby had never seen them! I couldn't believe it, and I was right = he loves the show!

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

Whats with old westerns and guys? Ugh! My hubby too, and he gets my kids involved too. Sheesh....

I really don't get it either. Although, "The Riffleman" series from awhile ago has a Christian based theme. It is pretty good. :thumb

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:22 PM

I don't do tv. I do computer. :lol

A hearty :amen:

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hey - my hubby likes golf, too! And he likes to watch westerns, too.

:praise: My hubby isn't the only one. hehe. BTW, my MIL says she is probably to blame for this whole "TV frenzy" thing with her boys--- because it was pretty much forbidden in their home. Now, she says they are making up for lost time. :lol :puzzled: The poor lady---she is such a good Godly woman.

#8 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:21 PM

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Boy - has this gone off topic!

I know---from the "Winkler Murder" to TV and other hobbies. LOL. :ooops

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

We subscribe to Netflix (really nice) and then have our own videos, and antenna tv for basic ballgames and news (we rarely watch that) and etc.

Hey kita. This is what one of my SILS did---to a tee. :thumb Hmmm? I have an idea. hehe.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

Don't blame you at all - just make sure that if he says no, you don't push it! Sometimes a woman's passion can get a man's dander up. If he says no, just keep praying about it and try again another time.

I know. LOL. This reminds me of a time when my pastor was standing in our church bookstore---"The Grace Place." He was the only man in there, waving books around for women to encourage their hubbies to read. You see, we have many "sports nuts" in my church. It was so nice when our church formed a softball team this spring. :thumb My hubby's thing is cowboy movies, and golf---at the present time. hehe. He is now watching "Hogans Heroes" re-runs at night. Talk about history repeating itself---it brings back fond memories of my dad---except, they aren't so fond when it is your huuby engrossed in the TV. :smile :pray :pray :pray

#12 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Don't blame you at all - just make sure that if he says no, you don't push it! Sometimes a woman's passion can get a man's dander up. If he says no, just keep praying about it and try again another time.

I know. LOL. This reminds me of a time when my pastor was standing in our church bookstore---"The Grace Place." He was the only man in there, waving books around for women to encourage their hubbies to read. You see, we have many "sports nuts" in my church. It was so nice when our church formed a softball team this spring. :thumb My hubby's thing is cowboy movies, and golf---at the present time. hehe. He is now watching "Hogans Heroes" re-runs at night. Talk about history repeating itself---it brings back fond memories of my dad---except, they aren't so fond when it is your huuby engrossed in the TV. :smile :pray :pray :pray

Hey - my hubby likes golf, too! And he likes to watch westerns, too.

#13 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:51 AM

:thumb :Green

#14 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:46 AM

#15 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:32 AM

My husband loves watching tv, its relaxing to him. However he did decide to cancel cable tv, which was nice. We subscribe to Netflix (really nice) and then have our own videos, and antenna tv for basic ballgames and news (we rarely watch that) and etc.

My hubby likes it too - but he saw what it did to his family as he was growing up (a tv in every room) and didn't want that...so we don't. :Green We've read a lot of books that way. Boy - has this gone off topic! :lol:

#16 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:17 AM

My husband loves watching tv, its relaxing to him. However he did decide to cancel cable tv, which was nice. We subscribe to Netflix (really nice) and then have our own videos, and antenna tv for basic ballgames and news (we rarely watch that) and etc.

#17 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 11:10 AM

They think she's a victim of religious persecution. That's what they think. That's why this case is so dangerous.

This is why Hollywood is so dangerous. It sounds like something you might catch on the show "Cold Case." I am tired of shows mocking Christianity. You are sure to see something like it in the news, eventually. Now, more than ever!

And it's only going to get worse...

Yes. :thumb It seems that all the shows are nothing but garbage. Hubby and I are going to be having a very looong talk about keeping one TV for VHS-DVD movies that are teachable, and then, we can rent any good old-fashioned movies from the library. These TV's are out of here. You know me LuAnne, when I get serious about something, that is it! hehe. I have had it with "Hollyweird" filth. I don't need these TV's---and, hubby will appreciate it in the long run. LOL. The Christian women from my old IFB church (MIL and SIL's) have been telling me not to do this, but the Lord is telling me to muster the strength and get this job done. :bible:

Don't blame you at all - just make sure that if he says no, you don't push it! Sometimes a woman's passion can get a man's dander up. :lol: If he says no, just keep praying about it and try again another time. My hubby had vowed to God before we ever met that we wouldn't have a tv in our home. And we never have...we do have a computer that shows dvd's, but we don't watch movies on it. Just documentaries, and very rarely. If we want to watch a movie, we go to my office or the library = so it has to be really good to make it worth it!!

Seems like this case is a bad precedent for, say, teenagers who feel being raised in a "strict" Christian family is "abusive". I just now wrote the CLA to see what bearing the Winkler case has on future "Christian" murder cases.

Yeah - the precedent could be bad if other courts wanted to follow it. Let us know what they say to you - I'd like to hear their opinion.

#18 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

They think she's a victim of religious persecution. That's what they think. That's why this case is so dangerous.

#19 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:53 AM

This is why Hollywood is so dangerous. It sounds like something you might catch on the show "Cold Case." I am tired of shows mocking Christianity. You are sure to see something like it in the news, eventually. Now, more than ever!

#20 HappyChristian

HappyChristian

• Moderators
  • 18,212 posts
Excellent

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:54 AM

And it's only going to get worse...

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500