Jump to content
Online Baptist

Recommended Posts

Hello, I'm almost done with Bible college and will soon be ordained later in the year. The question is how do I survive financially while gaining support / deputation. Will love offerings alone support traveling/ essentials like car payment, car insurance, and other basic needs. I have a wife and 3 kids. 

 

Do I need to already be established financially before going out and gaining support or head out and pray the love offerings cover it all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bro. Allen,

Welcome! Looking forward to some fine fellowship and discussions.

By the voice of experience, most missionaries find it very difficult in their initial deputation experience to live on love offerings. The love offerings typically given to a missionary will not take care of the car insurance, car expenses, family needs, and other household financial obligations that arise in the normal care of taking care of a family.

Unless your home church can help you with your extra financial needs, I would agree with what you mentioned and be more financially established before you start deputation.

Alan

 

Edited by Alan
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome brother Matt-Allen!

Prayers sent up that the Lord lead, guide, and provide.  Many years ago my uncle started out an IFB pastor right after completing seminary/Bible college. As he did through college, he had a full time job (mining industry) and kept that job until the church was firmly established, at which point he was able to stop working in the mines and devote his full time to the ministry and to outreach in the community . His wife (my aunt) also took on jobs of housecleaning and seamstress for others. I realize times have changed, but many pastors starting out also have to keep full time (or at least part-time) jobs for many years until firmly established. And many pastors wives work full time now even after the church is fully established.
Will continue praying for you as you seek to serve the Lord. 
God Bless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good morning Matt,

Welcome to Online Baptist.  Like many I was bi-vocational for nearly 10 years when I started our church.  I started a cleaning company because that allowed me to have the time off I needed for services and to set my own schedule.  It is not a bad job and can produce a three to five hundred a week if you are diligent.  Homes can be cleaned in the late morning and early afternoons and businesses can be cleaned at night.

Also many states have Baptist fellowships where you can go to their monthly meetings present your field and get booking and or support if you are a local NT church planter.  I did both.  I would probably stay away from the BBF as I am not sure of their direction currently but the GIBC is a very solid group to get into contact with.  If you are not Independent Baptist these groups will not be for you and you will likely get no support from them.  

God's best to you as you prepare and go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Orval said:

Good morning Matt,

Welcome to Online Baptist.  Like many I was bi-vocational for nearly 10 years when I started our church.  I started a cleaning company because that allowed me to have the time off I needed for services and to set my own schedule.  It is not a bad job and can produce a three to five hundred a week if you are diligent.  Homes can be cleaned in the late morning and early afternoons and businesses can be cleaned at night.

Also many states have Baptist fellowships where you can go to their monthly meetings present your field and get booking and or support if you are a local NT church planter.  I did both.  I would probably stay away from the BBF as I am not sure of their direction currently but the GIBC is a very solid group to get into contact with.  If you are not Independent Baptist these groups will not be for you and you will likely get no support from them.  

God's best to you as you prepare and go.

Hey! What's the idea with promoting fellowships if you're an IFB?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Salyan said:

Hey! What's the idea with promoting fellowships if you're an IFB?!

Good afternoon Salyan,

First let me say your statement causes me to ask, what you are talking about?  Is there a law or rule that says you cannot mention BBF or IGBF? 

Secondly, I was simply trying to help Matt with how to raise funds and spoke to that need it is not an indorsement nor is it and advertisement.

Thirdly I would challenge you concerning what Independent Baptist means.  My understanding is that if you are independent you have no organization over you stating you must comply with this or that.  Our churches are self-governing and autonomous which means that should we chose to fellowship with a group of IFB churches we can do so.  We believe in Soul Liberty meaning that while I may disagree with what you do or who you do it with it is ultimately your choice and between you and the Lord.

 

You realize that GIBF means Global Independent Baptist Fellowship a fellowship is not an organization it is a group of churches who affiliate with one another for fellowship.

BBF means Baptist Bible Fellowship neither are organizations in the strictest sense of the word. 

 

If I have violated some rule of the forum please point it out and I will gladly delete the post.  If I have misunderstood your post I ask for your forgiveness but if it just simply that you do not like the post I can do nothing about that. 

 

Please let me know what you want me to do.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a forum rule (I don't think); I was simply surprised to see an IFB endorse a fellowship. That's because my definition of Independent is Independent - no fellowships (or organizations). As such, I would never tell someone to seek one out!  Personal opinion, that's all (although a rather strong one).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Salyan said:

It's not a forum rule (I don't think); I was simply surprised to see an IFB endorse a fellowship. That's because my definition of Independent is Independent - no fellowships (or organizations). As such, I would never tell someone to seek one out!  Personal opinion, that's all (although a rather strong one).

I understand what you are saying but I would guess that even if you are independent independent you still choose to fellowship with preachers, schools, churches etc. that are like minded.  How would our colleges survive with out pastors and churches who are like minded supporting those schools and mission organizations?  Even if they do not call themselves a fellowship they still fellowship with one another and together support the schools and the missionaries.  None the less  I appreciate your response and strive to refrain from mentioning the either fellowship on the forum.

Have a great day in Christ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orval said:

Good afternoon Salyan,

First let me say your statement causes me to ask, what you are talking about?  Is there a law or rule that says you cannot mention BBF or IGBF? 

Secondly, I was simply trying to help Matt with how to raise funds and spoke to that need it is not an indorsement nor is it and advertisement.

Thirdly I would challenge you concerning what Independent Baptist means.  My understanding is that if you are independent you have no organization over you stating you must comply with this or that.  Our churches are self-governing and autonomous which means that should we chose to fellowship with a group of IFB churches we can do so.  We believe in Soul Liberty meaning that while I may disagree with what you do or who you do it with it is ultimately your choice and between you and the Lord.

 

You realize that GIBF means Global Independent Baptist Fellowship a fellowship is not an organization it is a group of churches who affiliate with one another for fellowship.

BBF means Baptist Bible Fellowship neither are organizations in the strictest sense of the word. 

 

If I have violated some rule of the forum please point it out and I will gladly delete the post.  If I have misunderstood your post I ask for your forgiveness but if it just simply that you do not like the post I can do nothing about that. 

 

Please let me know what you want me to do.   

I used to attend a IFB whose pastor organized and led the FBFI we didn't have any tie other than VERY like doctrines and practice of faith. Oh, and we were all going to the same heaven and spend eternity together in the presence of our Lord Jesus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fellowships and Conventions are organizations. You can't have either one with some sort of organizational structure. Support monies for missionaries are funneled through the organization, that takes organizational structure.

It s not the same as fellow shipping with sister churches, with no organization mixed in. Independent means just that, Independent, of any influence or control outside of each local church.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Bro. Allen.  I'm a veteran missionary currently serving on the field in Southern Texas.  We completed deputation in 2 years and have been on the field for 9.  If you'd like to talk about the deputation experience, or one opinion (for there are many) on how to prepare for it then feel free to shoot me a note.  I'd even be happy to take the time to talk on the phone if it could be a help to you.  Just send me a message and we can set something up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, since I was not going overseas, I didn't do any sort of deputation.

I worked at the job I had, and started as an assistant in a small church.

In my opinion (and that's all it is - my opinion) support should be left to those who are going overseas or at least to places where they are unable to work.

Over time the Lord has provided for us without going on deputation.

You don't mention your intended field but "tentmaking" is not a bad thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

×