Ukulelemike

Contradiction??? Little help?

4 posts in this topic

Okay, most here know my stance on the King James Version: Preserved and prefect.  I have just had someone bring up something I hadn't seen before and to be honest I am stumped.

In 2Kings 8:25&26 we read "In the twelfth year of Joram the son of Ahab king of Israel did Ahaziah the son of Jehoram king of Judah begin to reign. Two and twenty years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign; and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Athaliah, the daughter of Omri king of Israel."

The in 2Chron 22:1&2 we read "And the inhabitants of Jerusalem made Ahaziah his youngest son king in his stead: for the band of men that came with the Arabians to the camp had slain all the eldest. So Ahaziah the son of Jehoram king of Judah reigned. Forty and two years old was Ahaziah when he began to reign, and he reigned one year in Jerusalem. His mother's name also was Athaliah the daughter of Omri."

Clearly these two scriptures are speaking of the same person, but we see a discrepency of 20 years in age, 2Kings saying he was 22 when he began to reign, while 2Chron says he was 42. This has me frankly stumped.

It seems to me if this is really a discrepency, it wold have been caught, understood to be maybe a scribal error in the translation, (kind of like the  so-called 'adultery bible'), and been changed long since. Yet here it is, 400 years later, with an apparent contradiction.

Has anyone dealt with this and have an answer?

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

This one discusses it pretty well

That is a possibility. Reading it over again, I noticed that if we take only what it says, ages of Jehoram his father, and Ahaziah, don't mesh properly. It says that Jehoram was 38 whe he began to reign and reigned 8 years in Jerusalem, and died of some terrible disease for two years, and he died. Then, (in 2Chron 22), it says they made Ahaziah his son kind in his place and he was 42 when he began to reign and reigned 1 year in Jerusalem.

If Jehoram began to reign at 38, and 8 years later had a son who was 42, that means Jehoram  had a child at 4 years of age. If Ahaziah was 22 when his father died, that made Jehoram 24 when Ahaziah was born. Might he AND his father have reigned somewhere other than Jerusalem for parts of their reigns?