Online Baptist
No Nicolaitans

A simple request

On 9/24/2017 at 5:15 PM, No Nicolaitans said:

Sorry...didn't mean to give the wrong impression. I'm glad it wasn't copper...I've never messed with it before.

Copper would have been no problem, but a good deal more expensive having to buy the Cu pipe, torch, solder, flux and fittings, but what you did looks nice!

10 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

Copper would have been no problem, but a good deal more expensive having to buy the Cu pipe, torch, solder, flux and fittings, but what you did looks nice!

There are fittings you can buy for copper pipe that are called "Sharkbite" They require no solder and they are fast, easy and do not leak, even on older pipe that may be oxidized or corroded. I used one last year on a copper pipe that had been buried underground for twenty years. It was on the main line from my pump house to my house and in a very difficult location. You just cut the pipe and snap on the fitting. I had to repair it because the pipe froze and leaked.

So many newfangled things being invented and when you think something can't be improved, somebody comes along and does it. I just bought a new tape measure which has readings on both sides of the tape. That will come in handy for sure.

3 minutes ago, heartstrings said:

So many newfangled things being invented and when you think something can't be improved, somebody comes along and does it. I just bought a new tape measure which has readings on both sides of the tape. That will come in handy for sure.

I also like the tapes that stay extended until you push the button to retract them. On the older models you had to push a button to hold them extended. Invariably they would twist and slip off of your work while pushing the button. These new ones are a vast improvement, not to mention that prices have come down drastically if you don't need to stick to the name brands. Some of the generic brands are good quality and not expensive, especially in the wider commercial models.

11 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

There are fittings you can buy for copper pipe that are called "Sharkbite" They require no solder and they are fast, easy and do not leak, even on older pipe that may be oxidized or corroded. I used one last year on a copper pipe that had been buried underground for twenty years. It was on the main line from my pump house to my house and in a very difficult location. You just cut the pipe and snap on the fitting. I had to repair it because the pipe froze and leaked.

One end of those flexible pipes I used are like that...slipped them onto the CPVC pipes, and that was it.

1 minute ago, No Nicolaitans said:

One end of those flexible pipes I used are like that...slipped them onto the CPVC pipes, and that was it.

Yes, they will also work on cpvc pipe. But keep in mind that although they are fast, easy and reliable, they are also expensive. But for small repair jobs the expense is well worth it to me.

1 minute ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Yes, they will also work on cpvc pipe. But keep in mind that although they are fast, easy and reliable, they are also expensive. But for small repair jobs the expense is well worth it to me.

Yes sir...I don't remember the price off the top of my head, but those that I used were around $12 to $15 each (I think).