Online Baptist
Roselove

Saved in 3 tenses?

What are you confused about? Is it the "three tenses"?

Examples:

[Past Tense]

(Titus 3:5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

[Present Tense]

(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

[Future Tense]

(1 Corinthians 3:15) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Past, present, and future. Our salvation encompasses all three. I was saved many years ago in the "past", I'm "presently" saved today, and I'll be saved in the "future". It's not three different salvations; it's three aspects of one salvation.

1 hour ago, No Nicolaitans said:

What are you confused about? Is it the "three tenses"?

Examples:

[Past Tense]

(Titus 3:5) Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

[Present Tense]

(1 Corinthians 1:18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

[Future Tense]

(1 Corinthians 3:15) If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Past, present, and future. Our salvation encompasses all three. I was saved many years ago in the "past", I'm "presently" saved today, and I'll be saved in the "future". It's not three different salvations; it's three aspects of one salvation.

What you're saying makes sense. The thing this person (and others that go along this belief system) was saying is that, in the greek for instance, 1 corinthians 1:18 the verbage is saying "being saved". Like, it depends on us continuing to trust and obey Him, continuing faith, your final salvation will come. 

I didn't know what to think, really. I know that some say we will continue, but then they make it seem as though our final salvation is conditonal upon our continued faithfulness. It seems to be one of the things that has a fine line, between beliefs i guess. :/ 

15 minutes ago, Roselove said:

What you're saying makes sense. The thing this person (and others that go along this belief system) was saying is that, in the greek for instance, 1 corinthians 1:18 the verbage is saying "being saved". Like, it depends on us continuing to trust and obey Him, continuing faith, your final salvation will come. 

I didn't know what to think, really. I know that some say we will continue, but then they make it seem as though our final salvation is conditonal upon our continued faithfulness. It seems to be one of the things that has a fine line, between beliefs i guess. :/ 

Well, I didn't want to say anything at first, but the person (and article) to whom you are referring to is using a different Bible and Greek text than the King James Version and the Greek text it was translated from. I quickly looked up the word in Greek, and the word is a different Greek word than what that gentleman quoted. He even admits that other translations translate the word differently. You have to be very careful of whom you read Roselove.

12 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Well, I didn't want to say anything at first, but the person (and article) to whom you are referring to is using a different Bible and Greek text than the King James Version and the Greek text it was translated from. I quickly looked up the word in Greek, and the word is a different Greek word than what that gentleman quoted. He even admits that other translations translate the word differently. You have to be very careful of whom you read Roselove.

http://www.textusreceptusbibles.com/Strongs/46001018/G4982 

i looked on here, and it's the same word, though? I took screenshots of the word he said and the one in the textus receptus, and they are the same. I could be missing something, I'm not sure. :/

σωζομενοις <--pasted from textus receptus 

σωζομενοις<--pasted from person's webpage 

im a bit confused :/

Well, all that I can go by is what I use. I'm no Greek scholar. Here's the word in my Bible program...as you can see, it's the same "number", but look at the Greek word in comparison to what you've posted...

G4982 σώζω sozo (sō'-zō) v.
to save, i.e. deliver or protect.
{literally or figuratively}
[from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saos, “safe”)]
KJV: heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole

The author's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 15:2 - σωζεσθε

The author's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις

The Greek word from the Textus Receptus link that you provided of 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις (#4982)

The screenshot's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις (#4982)

The Greek word in my program from both 1 Corinthians 15:2 and 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σώζω (#4982)

All that I can say is...

The author has two different Greek words from the same single Greek word and "number"; which is 4982. The author, the screenshot, and the link provided show different Greek words than what mine shows. As I said, I'm no Greek scholar, and I just reference Greek occasionally. I'm wondering why the author has two different Greek words for the same Greek word...well, I think I know why, but I'll stop there.

I can't explain it to you any more than what I've shown Roselove.

Brother McWhorter,

Actually, all of the examples provided ARE different forms of the SAME Greek verb.  The different forms simply indicate differences in tense, voice, mood, person, number, etc. (in the case of participles).

σωζεσθε -- present, passive, indicative, 2nd person, plural of σώζω

σωζομενοις -- present, passive, participle, plural, dative, masculine of σώζω

Note: When referencing Strong's concordance of Hebrew and Greek words (in accord with Strong's numbering system), it must be understood that Strong's concordance does NOT provide all of the various forms of a particular word (as per tense, voice, mood, person, gender, number, case), but only provides the ROOT form of the word.

(By the way, how are you typing out words using actual Greek letters?  I would like to know that for future posting.)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

20 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother McWhorter,

Actually, all of the examples provided ARE different forms of the SAME Greek verb.  The different forms simply indicate differences in tense, voice, mood, person, number, etc. (in the case of participles).

Note: When referencing Strong's concordance of Hebrew and Greek words (in accord with Strong's numbering system), it must be understood that Strong's concordance does NOT provide all of the various forms of a particular word (as per tense, voice, mood, person, gender, number, case), but only provides the ROOT form of the word.

(By the way, how are you typing out words using actual Greek letters?  I would like to know that for future posting.)

Thanks Bro. Markle...I was kind of hoping you might chime in on this. :)

I was suspicious that it may have been the case as you described; however, since I haven't studied Greek, I wasn't about to try to "explain" something that I knew nothing about. LOL!

When I "type" a Greek word, I don't actually type it out. I just highlight it with my mouse cursor in my Bible program, then I copy and paste it here (or in my examples above...copy and paste the word from those websites).

I hope you're doing well friend.

28 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Brother McWhorter,

I'm a bit confused 

Just now, No Nicolaitans said:

When I "type" a Greek word, I don't actually type it out. I just highlight it with my mouse cursor in my Bible program, then I copy and paste it here (or in my examples above...copy and paste the word from those websites).

Understood.  The "copy and paste" method (from your posting) is how I was able to post such in my posting. 

1 minute ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I hope you're doing well friend.

Doing quite well.  Just been so busy this whole year that I have very, very little time for Online Baptist posting.  However, I do continue to read and follow those discussion that "catch my eye."

(In this particular case, I received a private request for help on this matter.  As such, I believe that the Lord would have me to make the time to provide what help that I am able.)

Just now, Roselove said:

I'm a bit confused 

Sister Rose,

About what in particular are you confused?

1 minute ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Understood.  The "copy and paste" method (from your posting) is how I was able to post such in my posting. 

Doing quite well.  Just been so busy this whole year that I have very, very little time for Online Baptist posting.  However, I do continue to read and follow those discussion that "catch my eye."

(In this particular case, I received a private request for help on this matter.  As such, I believe that the Lord would have me to make the time to provide what help that I am able.)

Excellent!

Just now, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister Rose,

About what in particular are you confused?

Well, No Nicolations said that it's 2 different words, but you said it's the same word, i think? I think he was saying it that way, to further disprove the man who wrote the article? (Please correct me if I'm wrong, No nicolations), I wasn't sure really where both of your trains of thought lined up, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out how you all's view is different from the article writer's.

Just now, Roselove said:

Well, No Nicolations said that it's 2 different words, but you said it's the same word, i think? I think he was saying it that way, to further disprove the man who wrote the article? (Please correct me if I'm wrong, No nicolations), I wasn't sure really where both of your trains of thought lined up, I guess. I'm just trying to figure out how you all's view is different from the article writer's.

Sister Rose,

Thank you for clarifying.  Yes, it does appear that Brother McWhorter was presenting his thoughts in order to "combat" the ideas of the article.  However, with a little understanding of Greek prefixes and suffixes, it is possible to recognize that the SAME Greek verb is being used (just with differences in tense, voice, mood, etc.).

Concerning the articles (for you did present two different articles), I intend to present some thoughts as we proceed (in response to your private request for help).  However, at present I am reading through your past threads concerning the matter of eternal security in order to acquire some context for your struggle.  As such, I would request patience, if I may.

2 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister Rose,

Thank you for clarifying.  Yes, it does appear that Brother McWhorter was presenting his thoughts in order to "combat" the ideas of the article.  However, with a little understanding of Greek prefixes and suffixes, it is possible to recognize that the SAME Greek verb is being used (just with differences in tense, voice, mood, etc.).

Concerning the articles (for you did present two different articles), I intend to present some thoughts as we proceed (in response to your private request for help).  However, at present I am reading through your past threads concerning the matter of eternal security in order to acquire some context for your struggle.  As such, I would request patience, if I may.

I'm still a little ignorant to the greek and everything, so my comprehension of everyone's answers is still a bit hard to grasp, but I'm sure when we get further, it'll make more sense. And yes, I will be patient! :)

14 minutes ago, Roselove said:

7 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister Rose,

My apparent "combativeness" wasn't necessarily against the man himself, the article itself, or the ideas of the article; rather, it was against the Bible that he uses, and therefore; its underlying Greek text. As far as the general message underlying the article...I had no problem with that. I agree with being saved in "three tenses". I apologize for letting my rancor show in regards to a Bible version other than the King James. :99_muscle:

8 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

My apparent "combativeness" wasn't necessarily against the man himself, the article itself, or the ideas of the article; rather, it was against the Bible that he uses, and therefore; its underlying Greek text. As far as the general message underlying the article...I had no problem with that. I agree with being saved in "three tenses". I apologize for letting my rancor show in regards to a Bible version other than the King James. :99_muscle:

Thank you for your clarification, Brother McWhorter.  Indeed, the author DOES use a different English translation than the King James translation.  However, the Greek terms that he references are the SAME as in the Received Text (from which the King James translation was translated).

Note: I do NOT believe that an apology was necessary; for I do NOT believe that you did anything sinfully wrong.  On the other hand, I do believe that a clarification was necessary; and you have now provided such. 

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle

By the way -- May I say that I do NOT AT ALL like the the "question" forum for such thread discussions, since postings can be moved through rating; and thereby the line of comment and response can become distorted.  (I wonder if this thread discussion could be moved to a different forum structure by one of the moderators.)

16 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Thank you for your clarification, Brother McWhorter.  Indeed, the author DOES use a different English translation than the King James translation.  However, the Greek terms that he references are the SAME as in the Received Text (from which the King James translation was translated).

Note: I do NOT believe that an apology was necessary; for I do NOT believe that you did anything sinfully wrong.  On the other hand, I do believe that a clarification was necessary; and you have now provided such. 

Since the words the writer uses are the same as kjv, how is it that he's wrong about our security being conditional? That's where i was a bit confused. :4_6_2v:

I mean, in the way that he's trying to disprove it, that is.

(Sorry if this counts as impatience) :7_sweat_smile:

Edited by Roselove

8 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Well, all that I can go by is what I use. I'm no Greek scholar. Here's the word in my Bible program...as you can see, it's the same "number", but look at the Greek word in comparison to what you've posted...

G4982 σώζω sozo (sō'-zō) v.
to save, i.e. deliver or protect.
{literally or figuratively}
[from a primary sos (contraction for obsolete saos, “safe”)]
KJV: heal, preserve, save (self), do well, be (make) whole

The author's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 15:2 - σωζεσθε

The author's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις

The Greek word from the Textus Receptus link that you provided of 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις (#4982)

The screenshot's Greek word from 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σωζομενοις (#4982)

The Greek word in my program from both 1 Corinthians 15:2 and 1 Corinthians 1:18 - σώζω (#4982)

All that I can say is...

The author has two different Greek words from the same single Greek word and "number"; which is 4982. The author, the screenshot, and the link provided show different Greek words than what mine shows. As I said, I'm no Greek scholar, and I just reference Greek occasionally. I'm wondering why the author has two different Greek words for the same Greek word...well, I think I know why, but I'll stop there.

I can't explain it to you any more than what I've shown Roselove.

Okay, I just installed the TR in my Bible program...

1 Corinthians 15:2, the word for saved is σωζεσθε

1 Corinthians 1:18, the word for saved is σωζομενοις

First, thanks to Bro. Markle for pointing out the situation with Strong's. I wasn't aware of that.

Second, I've learned a lesson from this, and though I originally tried to tread carefully, I realize that I need to tread even more carefully from this point forward. I will bow out of this conversation from here on out. Thank you Bro. Markle for addressing Roselove's concerns.

Sister Rose,

I have now read through all of the postings in your various other threads concerning the matter of eternal security.  At present I am reading through the article that you referenced in another thread concerning "the tense readings of the Greek New Testament."

In this posting, I wish to present some initial thoughts (which we may then consider in more detail as the discussion proceeds):

1.  Concerning the matter of eternal security -- Those who hold strongly unto this doctrine (as I do) will place their primary focus upon God's authority and power to maintain a believer's eternal security.  However, those who unto the doctrine of required perseverance (lest salvation be lost) will place their primary focus upon the believer's effort and power to maintain that security.  In my own case, I begin with the passages concerning God's authority and power in the matter and then build upon that foundation in consideration of other passages.

2.  Concerning the article about the tense readings -- Although I am only half-way through the article, I have a number of conflicts with the article already.  First, I believe that the article immensely distorts the meaning of the Greek present tense, as well as somewhat distorts the meaning of the Greek aorist tense.  Second, the author of the article appears to view the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration with favor.  (By the way, if the author actually does/did hold that water baptism is necessary for regeneration and salvation, then he held unto a false gospel which included human works.  As such, I must question the very salvation of the author, and thereby also question the ability of the author to discern Scripture correctly.)  Third, the author of the article appears to view the false doctrine of purgatory with favor.  Fourth, the author of the article strongly teaches the false doctrine of complete sanctification upon this earth.

3.  Concerning the article about 1 Corinthians 15:1-2 -- I myself would contend that the author of the article mishandles the grammatical structure of the single sentence in these two verses.

I suppose that I must now ask which of these matters you desire to consider in detail first?

On 9/22/2017 at 2:12 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Sister Rose,

I have now read through all of the postings in your various other threads concerning the matter of eternal security.  At present I am reading through the article that you referenced in another thread concerning "the tense readings of the Greek New Testament."

In this posting, I wish to present some initial thoughts (which we may then consider in more detail as the discussion proceeds):

1.  Concerning the matter of eternal security -- Those who hold strongly unto this doctrine (as I do) will place their primary focus upon God's authority and power to maintain a believer's eternal security.  However, those who unto the doctrine of required perseverance (lest salvation be lost) will place their primary focus upon the believer's effort and power to maintain that security.  In my own case, I begin with the passages concerning God's authority and power in the matter and then build upon that foundation in consideration of other passages.

2.  Concerning the article about the tense readings -- Although I am only half-way through the article, I have a number of conflicts with the article already.  First, I believe that the article immensely distorts the meaning of the Greek present tense, as well as somewhat distorts the meaning of the Greek aorist tense.  Second, the author of the article appears to view the false doctrine of baptismal regeneration with favor.  (By the way, if the author actually does/did hold that water baptism is necessary for regeneration and salvation, then he held unto a false gospel which included human works.  As such, I must question the very salvation of the author, and thereby also question the ability of the author to discern Scripture correctly.)  Third, the author of the article appears to view the false doctrine of purgatory with favor.  Fourth, the author of the article strongly teaches the false doctrine of complete sanctification upon this earth.

3.  Concerning the article about 1 Corinthians 15:1-2 -- I myself would contend that the author of the article mishandles the grammatical structure of the single sentence in these two verses.

I suppose that I must now ask which of these matters you desire to consider in detail first?

Thank you for taking time to help me, I appreciate it!

Point 1 for now, I suppose. I've heard that our faith produces works, and i know that faith isn't a work in of itself, since we must utilize it to be saved, but I've heard that we must continue to utilize the faith He provides in order to stay in His grace. We need to endure chastising, so that He can rid us of our sin and idols, and if we endure it we will produce fruit, but if we don't endure, He will cast us off like a branch, because no fruit came. In Hebrews 12, it talks about Esau selling his birthright, which I'm pretty sure is paralelled in that context, for the birthright we get once we are born-again, so therefore he basically sold what he was going to get, for the pleasure of the world. It says right after, a few verses later, that ones like this, couldn't endure God's commandments. I see this in the parable of the talents kinda, too. They weren't willing to produce fruit for God, they thought He was too harsh, so they didn't persevere. Also, the vine and branches parable, Jesus says if you abide in Him, you'll produce fruit and if you don't you'll be cast into the fire. If we are to "abide" that means these were already in Him, so they must be saved I would think. 

After we get through the first part of this question, can you please let me know why the early church, even before the catholics tried to take over, eternal security was nowhere in the writings of the early church? Why it seems to have been totally derived from calvinism? Anytime i look into the early church stuff, only calvinists and armenians debate it, because only their beliefs appear to be a thing back then. Though, calvinism came later. From what i can see, eternal security + free will, was quite a recent belief, possibly started in the later 1800's, actually.

14 hours ago, Roselove said:

After we get through the first part of this question, can you please let me know why the early church, even before the catholics tried to take over, eternal security was nowhere in the writings of the early church? Why it seems to have been totally derived from calvinism? Anytime i look into the early church stuff, only calvinists and armenians debate it, because only their beliefs appear to be a thing back then. Though, calvinism came later. From what i can see, eternal security + free will, was quite a recent belief, possibly started in the later 1800's, actually.

Sister Rose, I am not sure what you mean when you say that "eternal security was nowhere in the writings of the early church." If you are talking about "extra-biblical" writings instead of actual scripture, then I have no answer for you. If you are talking about scripture, then I would respectfully submit that every time you see the words "eternal life" written in the New testament, these are the writings of the early church.

Once such instance is one that has been submitted already and bears being resubmitted:   Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 
 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

These words are from the lips of Jesus, the one who instituted the very first church and as such, are in fact the writings of the first church. Jesus is very specific here in saying that He gives to believers "eternal life."  The word "eternal" means life without end, as such it can never be temporary, nor can it be lost since it is without end. Please notice that Jesus also includes further explanation to clarify what he means by saying, "and they shall never perish."

I have in my files a sermon by the late Dr. Harry Ironside that addresses this subject in great detail. I will attach it to this post for your consideration. Just click on the attachment.

ETERNAL SECURITY.doc

17 hours ago, Roselove said:

Point 1 for now, I suppose. I've heard that our faith produces works, and i know that faith isn't a work in of itself, since we must utilize it to be saved, but I've heard that we must continue to utilize the faith He provides in order to stay in His grace. We need to endure chastising, so that He can rid us of our sin and idols, and if we endure it we will produce fruit, but if we don't endure, He will cast us off like a branch, because no fruit came. In Hebrews 12, it talks about Esau selling his birthright, which I'm pretty sure is paralelled in that context, for the birthright we get once we are born-again, so therefore he basically sold what he was going to get, for the pleasure of the world. It says right after, a few verses later, that ones like this, couldn't endure God's commandments. I see this in the parable of the talents kinda, too. They weren't willing to produce fruit for God, they thought He was too harsh, so they didn't persevere. Also, the vine and branches parable, Jesus says if you abide in Him, you'll produce fruit and if you don't you'll be cast into the fire. If we are to "abide" that means these were already in Him, so they must be saved I would think. 

And how do you know the writers of the so called early "church" were actually even saved believers and not heretics? 

The word of God is the final authority not the writings of the early "church".

We never find the validity of a document based on its absence or presence in the uninspired writings of the early "church"

And if you really want to get into Calvinism, Augustine popularized it, and seems very likely that his views of predestination and free will came from the Manichianism that he believed before his "conversion", Ironically Calvin quoted from Augstine ferquently, in fact Calvin said that he could teach his doctrines of election and predestination completely from the words of Augustine. 

And even besides that, I doubt whoever is making the claims that the early church did not believe in eternal security has even read all the writings of the early "church". 

18 hours ago, Roselove said:

in reference to John 15,

"Some think this verse is referring to unbelievers due to the reference of fire. The assumption is that since fire is mentioned, it must be referring to Hell.

But the Judgment Seat of Christ also speaks of fire. Also, the flow of thought in John 15 refers to believers. Jesus urges those “in me” (15:2) to “Abide in me” in order to “bear fruit” (15:4-5). So what gets burned in verse six?

The verse says, “If a man [singular] abide not [present tense, lit. “is not abiding”] in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them [neuter], and cast them into the fire, and they [singular, lit. “it”] are burned.”

The purpose of a branch in the vine is to bear fruit. This occurs as the branch abides in the vine. Jesus is the true vine. He said, “without me ye can do nothing.” This implies with Him you can do anything you ought to do, because He is the source of life. Therefore the words of Jesus here define the word “abide” as depending on Jesus.

So if one who is in Christ (15:2) does not abide in Christ (15:4-5), he will not bear fruit. His purpose “as a branch” is unfulfilled. So the useless wood with no fruit, because of a lack of abiding, is cast out and burned. The “them” in verse six is neuter, and “it” is cast out, not “they” the people. This fits in perfectly with the teaching that the wood, hay and stubble represents the self-dependent aspects of one’s life which will be incinerated at the Judgment Seat (1 Cor. 3)."

http://revivalfocus.org/q6-what-gets-burned/