Online Baptist - Independent Baptist Community
Alan

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

On November 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Alan said:

Hmmm.

"And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:16 & 17

Larkin stated, "The "SON" was present in Jesus. And the "HOLY SPIRIT" was present in the form of a "DOVE." This quote is found on page 5.

Jim,

Very happy that you made this comment about the Holy Spirit descending like a dove. I do not feel it is nit-picking.

I had thought of what you are saying, but I am not mentioning every detail that Larkin states as I do not know what subjects are of interest to everybody and what subjects to comment on and what subjects not to comment on.

The scriptures does state the the Holy Spirit, "... descending like a dove..." and then, "... lighting upon him..." The scriptures does not say, " in the form of a dove " as you brought out. Some have thought though that since the scriptures say, "and lighting upon him" indicates not only the descending manner but also a form of a dove.

Either way, I appreciate your participation and I appreciate your observation, and comments, concerning the Holy Spirit.

Alan

P.S.

I have not noticed this subject previously being discussed on OnLine Baptist.

So, as Larkin did make this a point in his book, and if there is anybody else, or if Jim wants to continue this discussion on Matthew 3:16-17 and the Holy Spirit descending like a dove, please do so.

Alan

As I was going through this thread page by page, I came across this post regarding the Trinity. I would say that Matthew 3:16,17 is one of the strongest verses in scripture proving a Triune Godhead as Jim pointed out. The Triune God (cf. 3:22; 11:7) is mentioned in the first book of the Bible.   

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26) 

There have been controversy over whether or not the word "us" used in the above verse refers to the Trinity. Some will say that it is an example of a "majestic plural", and that the ancient Hebrews also used the plural of majesty in ancient times. However, this did not exist at the time of Moses (who authored Genesis), so it cannot refer to a royal majestic. Furthermore, outside of scripture, the plural of majesty was first used in the 18th century when Anglo-Saxon kings and queens would refer to themselves as "we" or "our"; and it's another reason why it cannot refer to a plural of majesty. Some have also suggested that "us" is referring to God and His angels; however, angels cannot CREATE MAN -- only God can and did... therefore it cannot refer to angels. This is pretty much an irrefutable argument regarding the Triunity of God. I apologize if I derailed your thread, Alan. Eternal Security and the Deity of Christ are some of my favorite topics I'd like to discuss with like-minded Christians such as yourself.

God Bless!    

Chapter 19

The Judgments

Part 6

This lesson will be an overview on Larkin's Judgment NO. 5. The chart if found on page 146, called, “The Judgments,” in Larkin's book, “The Spirit World.” The chart for this lesson is found in the right side of the chart, called, “Judgment No. 5 The Wicked Dead.”I have already uploaded the chart in this overview. The chart is located on page 3 of this overview and the date uploaded was January 13, 2018.

Here is Revelation 10:11-15, “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which are written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”

Larkin explains that this judgment is future, it will take place at the renovation of the earth by fire (2 Peter 3:7), the judgment will be before the Great White Throne, the basis of the judgment will be according to the works of the individuals judged and the result is that, except those who names are in the book of life, are cast into the lake of fire.

• 2 Peter 3:7, “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.”

Note by Alan Concerning A-millennialism, and / or Preterism, and the Judgment

Revelation 20:11b states, “… from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.” The place of this judgment is not in heaven and it is not on the earth. William Hendriksen makes a great error in his interpretation of the Great White Throne of Judgment and the usage of the words of the Lord Jesus in Matthew 19:28 the Apostle Peter in Acts 3:21, when he states the following, “... a regeneration, Matt. 19:28; a restoration of all things, Acts 3:21.”i

We will look briefly at Matthew 19:28 and Acts 3:21 and discover that they do not apply to the Great White Throne of Judgment in Revelation 20:11-15 and that Hendriksen erroneously used the scriptures.

1. Matthew 19:28, “And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”In the regeneration of the Lord Jesus when He sits on the throne of His glory it is obvious that the Lord will reign on the earth and that the 12 apostles are judging on their individual thrones on the earth. In Revelation 20:11-15 there is no earth and no 12 tribes of Israel.

2. The “regeneration” spoken of by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 19:28 is, “ … the times of restoration of all things ...” spoken by the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 1:25-27), the disciples in Acts 1:6, and the Apostle Peter in Acts 3:21. The “regeneration” is the restoration of the nation of Israel at the beginning of the 1000 year reign of Christ as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

Acts 3:19-21, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” The apostle Peter is very clear, "... all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” "All," 100 percent, every one, of the prophecies of the prophets concerning the nation of Israel, not the spiritual nation of Israel, must be fulfilled.

When the apostle Peter stated, “… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” is a clear reference to the coming of Christ in Revelation 19:11-21 in order to start the restoration, or regeneration, or refreshing, of the nation of Israel, in Revelation 20:4-6 When the apostle stated, Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things ...” The apostle Peter was clearly referencing Isaiah 1:25-27 and Acts 1:6

Furthermore, Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things ...” is clearly fulfilled in Revelation 19: 11 when the “until” is fulfilled. Revelation 19:11 “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.” Revelation 19:11

“… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” was not fulfilled in Revelation 20:11-15. “… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” was fulfilled in Revelation 19:11.

Isaiah 1:25-27, “And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.”

The disciples in Acts 1:6 were clearly referring to Isaiah 1:25-27. “When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the nation of Israel?” There is no fulfillment of Isaiah 1:25-27 (and many other passages by the prophets who prophesied of the restoration of the nation of Israel), in Revelation 20:11-15.

Therefore, Hendriksen was in error in stating that Revelation 20:11-15 is, “... a regeneration, Matt. 19:28; a restoration of all things, Acts 3:21.” The a-millennial, and or, preterist, teaching that Matthew 19:28 and Acts 3:21 are fulfilled in Revelation 20:11-15 is erroneous.

Larkin states, “All the Righteous dead will arise at the First Resurrection. If any Righteous die between the first Resurrection and the Resurrection of the “wicked” or Second Resurrection, they will rise with the wicked dead at that Resurrection. The words - “Whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life” (vs. 15), imply that there will be “some,” probably very few, Righteous at the Second Resurrection.”ii

Note by Alan Concerning the Book of Life

During the 1000 Year Reign of Christ, due to the longevity of life, lack of diseases, no war, and many other blessings of the Reign of Christ, the population of the earth will be phenomenal. And, the individuals who are saved during the 1000 Year Reign of Christ will be tremendous. It is my belief, that all of those righteous individuals will be judged for their eternal rewards at this time also. Therefore, the Book of Life is opened also for their sakes.

Larkin further states, “The Wicked or Ungodly will not be judged to see whether they are entitled to Eternal Life, but to ascertain the “degree” of their punishment.” iii

Larkin also notes that the “Fallen angels,” will be judged at this judgment.

• Jude 6, “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.”

In conclusion, Larkin scripturally proves that the “General Resurrection,” and “General Judgment,” as taught by the A-millennialist, and or, preterist, is in error. Larkin scripturally proves that the Judgment Seat of Christ, the Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats, the Jews under the Anti-Christ, and the Great White Throne of Judgment are all separate judgments.

i Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 235

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 157

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 158

Edited by Alan
added the number '5'

Hi Alan,

I had a debate with several people on a Christian forum years ago, and nearly everyone on that thread was against me. To sum it up. . .they believed that we are justified by faith AND works by taking James 2:24 out of its context. It is apparent that James is speaking of "saving faith" -- that is, a faith that is shown to be genuine by its works. If works can "save", then it would demonstrate the possibility that there is a chance that one can be saved at the Great White Throne judgment, because they are judged according to their works. This is an evil "interpretation" and you have correctly ferreted out why:  if works save, then Jesus died for nothing; but works do not save, and no good work could ever wipe out any sin; so without the cross, no one can be saved, no matter how good WE think our works are. God is the One who will decide whether or not anything anyone has done is truly "good", and anything not done in the power of the Holy Spirit cannot be divinely good by definition. Since unbelievers do not have the Holy Spirit, all of their "good works" are detestable to God. Responding to God and doing things His way is what constitutes true "good works", namely, believing in Christ, growing and progressing spiritually, and helping others do likewise:       

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent. (John 6:29)     

The "books" by which unbelievers are judged at the last judgment contain all of their "deeds" (erga), that is, everything they have thought, said and done in this life; through these it will be demonstrated that they never had any intention of responding to God and His truth through humbling themselves by believing in Christ, and as a result He is absolutely just in everything He has done -- so that they have no excuse and no defense for their condemnation. Since the universe will be dissolved, The Great White Throne judgment would have to take place not on Earth nor in the atmospheric heaven as you and Larkin have already rightly pointed out (cf. Matt. 25:31-46). See also (cf. Rev. 21:1; Is. 51:6; Matt. 24:35; 2 Pet. 3:10-12). Satan will gather an army after the 1,000 year reign of the Lord, the number of whom is as the sand of the sea (Rev. 20:8). This vast sea of people who follow Satan in rebellion towards God Almighty will most likely be born during the 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth as you rightly pointed out, due to their longevity. It is always a blessing to read Larkin's commentaries and your observations and notes. Thank you, Alan.

God Bless! 

9 hours ago, (Omega) said:

It is always a blessing to read Larkin's commentaries and your observations and notes. Thank you, Alan.

Omega, and all those who considered this overview a blessing, or a help, or as a teaching tool.

Thank you. "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

Alan

Overall Overview

It was my intention at the beginning of my "Overview" of Larkin's, "The Spirit World," to be a blessing to the folks who read it and to help us more fully understand the many facets of the wonders of heaven, the character of God, the work  of God, the work of the Lord Jesus, the ministry of the angels, the afterlife in heaven, and the Judgments to come as recorded in the scriptures.

As I mentioned at the beginning (and even listed), there are a few beliefs of Larkin that I feel are incorrect. But, the vast majority of the teachings of Larkin, coupled with his charts, can be a great blessing and help to every saint. Larkin clearly presented the correct scriptural teachings on: the Trinity,  the free will of man, heaven and hell, the Holy Spirit, Satan and his followers, the angels of God and their work and responsibilities, the resurrection, future rewards, and the Judgments to come.

Throughout the book, Larkin correctly refuted the false teachings of: Spiritism, the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, Calvinism, Annihilationism, the "Second Chance" doctrine, Purgatory, Soul Sleep, the General Resurrection and General Judgment beliefs, the a-millennial and the preterist beliefs.

In my thoughts, throughout the book, Larkin explained the various aspects of the Spirit World in a scholarly and  Christ-like spirit. His love for the truth of the scriptures, and for the souls of men, is exemplary. Concerning the men of God, and the gifts that God gave those men, to help the church, the apostle Paul stated, "And he gave some, apostles; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers." Ephesians 4:11. As with all men, Larkin had his few faults, but, I am of the persuasion that he was one of those, "... pastors and teachers..."  "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." Ephesians 4:12

I personally recommend all of the brethren to obtain a copy of the book, "The Spirit World," by Clarence Larkin. 

May the Lord bless all of you.

Alan

On 1/20/2018 at 6:56 AM, (Omega) said:

As I was going through this thread page by page, I came across this post regarding the Trinity. I would say that Matthew 3:16,17 is one of the strongest verses in scripture proving a Triune Godhead as Jim pointed out. The Triune God (cf. 3:22; 11:7) is mentioned in the first book of the Bible.   

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26) 

There have been controversy over whether or not the word "us" used in the above verse refers to the Trinity. Some will say that it is an example of a "majestic plural", and that the ancient Hebrews also used the plural of majesty in ancient times. However, this did not exist at the time of Moses (who authored Genesis), so it cannot refer to a royal majestic. Furthermore, outside of scripture, the plural of majesty was first used in the 18th century when Anglo-Saxon kings and queens would refer to themselves as "we" or "our"; and it's another reason why it cannot refer to a plural of majesty. Some have also suggested that "us" is referring to God and His angels; however, angels cannot CREATE MAN -- only God can and did... therefore it cannot refer to angels. This is pretty much an irrefutable argument regarding the Triunity of God. I apologize if I derailed your thread, Alan. Eternal Security and the Deity of Christ are some of my favorite topics I'd like to discuss with like-minded Christians such as yourself.

God Bless!    

Omega,

You did not derail this thread.

The second chapter of Larkin's, "The Spirit World," was on, "The Tri-Unity [ or Trinity ] of God."

At the beginning of this overview, I did not comment much on the first three chapters. And, at the time, no discussion was initiated by anyone reading this overview.

If you, or anybody else, would like to go back and discuss further the first three chapters; Chapter One is on the nature of the angels (Michael, Gabriel and Satan); Chapter 2 is on the Trinity; and Chapter 3 is a full chapter on Satan.

Alan

It is an impossibility for someone to be a Christian and continually deny and reject the Deity of Christ. The bible states that God pledges to preserve a believer's Salvation by permanently indwelling them with the Holy Spirit.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Jesus said: 

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. (John 16:13-14)

If someone claims to be a Christian and denies the Deity of Christ is doing just the opposite of what Jesus said the Holy Spirit would do. . . i.e., to GLORIFY and EXALT Jesus. So lowering Him to the status of a created being is clear indication that this professing "Christian" does not have the Holy Spirit, and therefore is not saved. The Word of God states that this individual who rejects the Deity of Christ has an Antichrist spirit instead of the Spirit of God.

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22)

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

I'm working on refining my posts so they can be clearer to understand. I hope any of this makes sense.

Edited by (Omega)