Online Baptist
(Omega)

Helping the homeless and the indigent

I am elated that the Lord has given me tasks to aid the homeless and the indigent. At times, I would volunteer at food banks here in Oakland, an example would be the Alameda County Community Food Bank (ACCFB). This mainly consists of packaging food (perishables, can foods, meat, fruits, etc.). I also minister to the homeless because I was once homeless myself for over a course of 10 years, so I can understand their plight and suffering, living on the streets of Oakland and San Francisco. San Francisco is a hot spot for homosexuality, it is almost like a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah, and ministering to them is an arduous task because sometimes preaching to them can lead to aggression and violent reactions; but I don't let that stop me. When I preach the Gospel to the homeless. I have a technique which is quite effective in ministering to the homeless. I would first ask them, "are you homeless?" If their answer is Yes, then I would respond by saying, "You know...I was homeless too for 10 years.", This piques their interest leading them to ask me how I got off the streets. I would then tell them about the awesome love of God and how he took a wretched drunk like me, and transformed me into a servant of the Lord. I would then hold their hands and pray over them if they desire. Works almost 100% of the time. I believe holding a persons hand in prayer is more effective than just prayer alone. There are also soup kitchens that are Christian based that I also volunteer at times. There is City Team Ministries here in Oakland, and a plethora of other Christian organizations that help the homeless that I volunteer at. There is no excuse not to minister to the homeless or those who are in need to be fed not just food, but the Word of God. As it is written: "Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." (Matt.4:4) This feeds their souls and incites their curiosity. This also leads to a discussion about the Bible, and we know that "According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:" (2 Pet.1:3).

There is NO excuse not to preach the Gospel to the lost, and that includes anyone who isn't saved; this also includes our family members. Charles Haddon Spurgeon once said, "Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you're not saved yourself, be sure of that!" For me, family members are the most difficult to bring to Christ. My family consists of 3 brothers, a half sister, and my mother and father. I have ministered to all of them, and I have seen them grow in Christ over the course of several years, and I thank the Lord for that. Only my mother and my 3rd youngest brother are not saved. My brother Andrew has been brainwashed and put through the wringer by his wife. She is anti-Christian. She believes the bible is sexist and absolutely despises the Word of God. But even so, I pray for her salvation because I care. But God has gave me a promise that He will save my entire family when all is said and done. I was encouraged to share this with my IFB brethren and sisters in Christ here on this forum by another forum member. If you do not have a ministry, I encourage to get involved in one, IF you have the time. We each have a Will that God has planned and purposed in our lives, and it is our duty to fulfill it. 

God Bless,
Daniel

6 hours ago, (Omega) said:
If you do not have a ministry, I encourage to get involved in one, IF you have the time. We each have a Will that God has planned and purposed in our lives, and it is our duty to fulfill it. 

Thank you for your testimony and work. It was a blessing to hear how you are helping the homeless in a practical and spiritual way. May the Lord bless and help you.

As you said, there is a work for all of us to help others not only with physical help but help them for the salvation of the soul.  So often, there is a an underlying spiritual problem, or need, or sin, that is preventing folks from living a more fuller life.

Alan