Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Instruments in church

44 posts in this topic

Posted

Besides the piano or organ.... what are appropriate instruments to have in church? I know the drums are out, but what about stringed instruments, brass etc.... the reason that I am asking is that the church that we are attending has an elderly man that plays the guitar with some of the songs and special music, and I just love it. Just wondered what your thoughts were?

Login or register for removal of this advertisement.

Posted

For me it is not the instrument, but rather what and how the instrument is being played.

Posted

For me it is not the instrument, but rather what and how the instrument is being played.

Ditto.

Posted

Our church has an orchestra that plays with the congregational hymns. Occasionally, we will have a brass group play with the choir for a special song - usually on Easter or Christmas. We even include some drums with them, but they are the kettle drums, not snare drums.

My youth pastor plays a guitar, another man in our church plays a mandolin, and I play the hammered dulcimer as a trio once in a while. In a week and a half, I will be playing a bowed psaltry for the offertory.

Posted

I think almost any instrument can be used appropriately. I wouldn't be comfortable with drums as the main attraction but in an orchestra, they are an integral part.

One church we went to used the piano and organ for congregational singing but specials were played also on the flute, guitar, trombone, trumpet, hammered dulcimer, autoharp and even "glasses". :mrgreen:

Posted

I don't think that a secular drum set can be used properly though. Snare and bass drums yes, but I don't think a drum set like the kind that characterize rock and CCM groups.

Posted

Right, that is what I meant. Orchestra drums, not secular drums.

Posted

Ditto.

DITTO!

Posted

Add me to the "Ditto" group. I played "Amazing Grace" on the tuba once. That was received with mixed reactions.

Posted

[quote="chev1958"]
Add me to the "Ditto" group. I played "Amazing Grace" on the tuba once. That was received with mixed reactions.
[/quote]

LOL. Never thought there was anything wrong with a tuba...

Or was it an Amazing Grace swing version? :frog

Posted

No, I played it simply straightforward.

Posted

[quote="bibletotingunslinger"]
[quote="kevinmiller"][quote="BroMatt"]For me it is not the instrument, but rather what and how the instrument is being played.
[/quote]

Ditto.[/quote]

DITTO![/quote]

Ditto that ditto!

No one has mentioned bagpipes!

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes is awesome! especially when it is performed in full Scottish regalia!

Posted

Are you advocating men wear skirts in church? I'm just kidding and poking fun. In fact, I would expect a bag-piper to wear nothing but full regalia.

Mitch

And you're right - There's nothing like "Amazing Grace" played on bagpipes. That's the one request I have for my funeral.

Posted

I like watching somebody play bagpipes but I can't just like listen to a cd of it or something. Same thing with the accordian...I love watching someone play it but I wouldn't buy a cd.

Posted

I would expect someone from Scotland to where a kilt while playing the bagpipe in church.

Posted

I personally play the guitar in church, (acoustic, mind you) sometimes for offering, other times for specials. My youth pastor has played the saxophone a few times for offering. We have also had some come in for our Campmeeting that play with mandolins, banjos, etc. Like it has been stated, it is not the instrument itself that is bad, but the way that the instrument is played. If it is played too rocky, swingy, jazzy... that's when we have a problem.

Posted

Instruments that have been played in our church.....
Piano, organ, accordion, harmonica, trumpets, saxophone, acoustic guitar, acoustic, bass, electric bass, upright bass, mandolin, five string banjo, dobro, violin and harp, bells......and once...........a tambourine.

The guitars, piano, mandolin, five string banjo and bass are played pretty much every service.

Posted

I saw a bagpiper wear a T-Shirt once that said "Bagpipers: We put the FUN back in FUNERALS!" :lol:

I do not know about the rest of you guys, but does anyone else HATE those blasted karaoke machines as much as I do? Every once in awhile someone in our church will get up and sing with once of those machines and it just sounds awful! It would be better to stand and sing acapella than to sing with that terrible electronic stuff in the background. Karaoke does not have any place in a worship service, IMHO.

Posted

I saw a bagpiper wear a T-Shirt once that said "Bagpipers: We put the FUN back in FUNERALS!"

:nutty

Posted

Oh.....it's called a KILT???
Where I come from....we call it a DRESS! :lol:

Posted

Oh.....it's called a KILT???
Where I come from....we call it a DRESS! :lol:

A kilt is not a dress and a dress is not a kilt. Different articles of clothing entirely.

Posted

this was in my Bible reading today and I thought about this post

Also the Levites which were the singers, all of them of Asaph, of Heman, of Jeduthun, with their sons and their brethren, being arrayed in white linen, having cymbals and psalteries and harps, stood at the east end of the altar, and with them an hundred and twenty priests sounding with trumpets:)
It came even to pass, as the trumpeters and singers were as one, to make one sound to be heard in praising and thanking the LORD; and when they lifted up their voice with the trumpets and cymbals and instruments of music, and praised the LORD, saying, For he is good; for his mercy endureth for ever: that then the house was filled with a cloud, even the house of the LORD;II Chronicles 5:12,13

Posted

Besides the piano or organ.... what are appropriate instruments to have in church? I know the drums are out, but what about stringed instruments, brass etc.... the reason that I am asking is that the church that we are attending has an elderly man that plays the guitar with some of the songs and special music, and I just love it. Just wondered what your thoughts were?

No organ. Organs are the instrument of the Roman Catholic Church.

ORGANS
From the Watchman And Observer, Richmond VA
February 22, 1849, Volume IV, No. 28.
Mr. Editor.

Posted

[quote]
No organ. Organs are the instrument of the Roman Catholic Church.
[/quote]

Psalm 150

1 ΒΆ Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.

2 Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

3 Praise him with the sound of the [b]trumpet[/b]: praise him with the [b]psaltery and harp[/b].

4 Praise him with the [b]timbrel and dance[/b]: praise him with [b]stringed instruments[/b] and [size=25]organs[/size].

5 Praise him upon the[b] loud cymbals[/b]: praise him upon the [b]high sounding cymbals[/b].

6 Let [b]every thing that hath breath[/b] praise the LORD. Praise ye the LORD.

Posted

For those who are curious about my fondness for Bluegrass gospel music, here are some interesting ancient instruments...

[spoiler]a [u][b]psaltery[/b][/u] is a precursor to the mountain dulcimer...

[img]http://www.bambooflute.com/bow2new.jpg[/img]

Here is what a [u][b]timbrel[/b][/u] looks like....

[img]http://www.masterkit.com/rwc/images/fotos_productos/ligeras/timbrel_single.jpg[/img]

An ancient [u][b]Harp[/b][/u]...

[img]http://www.bible-history.com/sketches/ancient/harp.jpg[/img]

Other ancient stringed instruments...

[img]http://www.summerthundermusic.com/index_files/SE_data/ZhongRuan.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hobgoblin.com/itempics/gr3600k.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.stillonthehill.com/pictures/instruments/DSCF0083.jpg[/img]

This is an ancient trumpet made from ram's horn...

[img]http://www.civilization.ca/hist/advertis/images/adob6-3b.gif[/img]

The ancient organ was called a Hydralis and was invented around 300 B.C. ....

[img]http://www.archaeologychannel.org/images/hydranc.jpg[/img]

Although no one actually knows when or where bagpipes were invented, it is believed that bagpipes predate the Hydralis by several centuries. This is a hieroglyphic if a bagpiper from Ancient Persia. Bag pipes are in the same musical family as pipe organs, except they do not have the keyboard. This could very well have been an instrument in King David's court...

[img]http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/27800/27875/bag-pipe_27875_th.gif[/img][/spoiler]