Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geneva Bible

0 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Is the Geneva Bible an accurate translation?

As far as I know, I've never actually seen or read a Geneva Bible. For some reason, I am seeing the Geneva Bible advertised and talked about a lot.

One advetisement said the Geneva Bible was "the Bible of the Reformation." Another ad stated the Geneva Bible was the Bible of the American colonists. Another ad mentioned the Geneva Bible was the Bible of the Puritans.

Any enlightenment on this issue would be most appreciated. Thank you!

Posted · Report post

i too heard the geneva bible was the bible of the reformation. i'll stay with the ol' king james a.v.

Posted · Report post

From what I've heard it is pretty accurate. It was a precursor to the KJV. Vision forum sells it as well and they are a very conservative company. I think a lot of it is similar to the KJV from what I've read of it.

Posted · Report post

I have it. It's an excellent translation, and was preferred by pretty much all "regular" Christians until the Crown stopped allowing it to be printed. It was the Bible brought over on the Mayflower.

Posted · Report post

I have it. It's an excellent translation, and was preferred by pretty much all "regular" Christians until the Crown stopped allowing it to be printed. It was the Bible brought over on the Mayflower.

I'd still like to get one someday...know of any cheap editions? :D

Posted · Report post

I'd still like to get one someday...know of any cheap editions? :D

I think mine cost around $50 or so.

Posted · Report post

Yeah, that's what it is at vision forum...

Posted · Report post

Yeah, that's what it is at vision forum...

Yeah...I consider that cheap.

Posted · Report post

Relatively I guess. Not I'm on a tight budget and already have two KJV's so it's not like I "need" it. And there are a bunch of other things I "need" the money for. hehe

Posted · Report post

I want one of those KJV 1611s that is in the old type-set and everything..you know..made to look like the ones when they were first printed. A few months ago, I won a free Bible of my choosing from a website...and I could've picked that one, but instead chose one of the old Scofield reference bibles. I didn't want to pick one overly expensive because I was getting it for free...didn't want to be greedy when they were being so generous...but I still reallllllly want one of those Bibles. Just to have one that is in the old-style binding and typeset..just 'cause I think it would be cool.

Posted · Report post

That would be cool, howbeit difficult to read. hehe
I wish I would win something like that. :D

Posted · Report post

hehe i win almost every contest i enter. :P its always been that way...dunno why

Posted · Report post

That is soooo not fair. :verymad:

Posted · Report post

From what I know, it is a decent translation from the good manuscripts - with only minor differences between it and KJ.

If you are interested, the Geneva bible and notes are available for e-sword.

One of the major problems with the Geneva bible is the marginal notes.

Note for Daniel 10:13

Even though God could by one angel destroy all the world, yet to assure his children of his love he sends forth double power, even Michael, that is, Christ Jesus the head of angels.

Note for Daniel 12:1

The angel here notes two things: first that the Church will be in great affliction and trouble at Christ's coming, and next that God will send his angel to deliver it, whom he here calls Michael, meaning Christ, who is proclaimed by the preaching of the Gospel.

Notice how both equate the angel Michael with Christ? I'm surprised that the JW don't use this version...

Posted · Report post

The Geneva Bible messes up in Acts 12:4, but we discussed this in another thread. The first edition had it right, and then they messed it up and went to "Passover" instead.

Posted · Report post

The Geneva Bible was the most popular English translation in England before the KJV. It was the first to use verses. It was also one of the translations used that the KJV derived much of its wording from. And it was the version we (colonies) used for a long time until things cooled down between the US and England. It took about 50 years for the KJV to replace the Geneva in England.

The main reason it was replaced was because of the biased margin notes (these weren't just translator notes or alternative words you find in the 1611 or MV's, they were paragraphs of peoples interpretation of scripture, mostly Puritan and Calvinistic in nature).

Posted · Report post

The Geneva Bible messes up in Acts 12:4, but we discussed this in another thread. The first edition had it right, and then they messed it up and went to "Passover" instead.

Second edition was right. :D I've already proven that the author of Acts(Luke) was known for equating the entire feast of unleavened bread as being the Passover. And in the 17th century, Passover was known as "Easter" in the Christian church.

Posted · Report post

Second edition was right. :D I've already proven that the author of Acts(Luke) was known for equating the entire feast of unleavened bread as being the Passover. And in the 17th century, Passover was known as "Easter" in the Christian church.

You gave your opinions but you have proven nothing. :roll:

Chevvie '58 gave an excellent argument as to why "Easter", in the book of Acts has to be translated "Easter" and nothing else.

Posted · Report post

You gave your opinions but you have proven nothing. :roll:

Chevvie '58 gave an excellent argument as to why "Easter", in the book of Acts has to be translated "Easter" and nothing else.

Indeed I have. Luke stated in his Gospel that the feast of unleavened bread was known as "the Passover." Ergo, it is not unreasonable to believe that he was talking about Passover as opposed to Easter.

And as I stated, in the 17th Century and prior, "Passover" was known as "Easter" in the Church.

Posted · Report post

Thank you for your replies; they have been most helpful!!!

Any idea why the Geneva Bible is making such a "comeback" at this time?

Posted · Report post

Maybe people are trying to distance themselves with the radical wing of the KJVO movement... :frog

Posted · Report post

I have noticed some KJV-Preferred folks who are trying to distance themselves from the radical-wing of the KJV-Only folks; but that's another story! :lol:

Posted · Report post

I was KJV-only. But I think I'm gonna be TR-only like they always accuse me of being. :D

Posted · Report post

Thank you for your replies; they have been most helpful!!!

Any idea why the Geneva Bible is making such a "comeback" at this time?

The "New Reformation."

Posted · Report post

Okay Will, you know my response must be:

What "new reformation?"