Photo

Is Sunday School Biblical?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you go to Sunday School? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you go to Sunday School?

1. Never (4 votes [8.70%])

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

2. Ocassionaly (2 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

3. Most of the time (5 votes [10.87%])

Percentage of vote: 10.87%

4. Every week (35 votes [76.09%])

Percentage of vote: 76.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SisterHolly

SisterHolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:56 AM

Oops, I voted the wrong one. I voted every week when I should have voted never. My church doesn't have Sunday School for adults but only for children and special needs adults.

Where do the adults go during kids sunday school?

We have church while the kids are in sunday school. :)

#2 Tim

Tim

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:52 AM

I am with you Jerry808 all the Sunday Schools I know of have classes for all ages...SisterHolly most churches I am familiar with call what you describe Children's Church. Sunday School in the places I know of is held usually from 10:00AM-10:45AM and Church Worship service starts at 11:00AM Sunday School is basically a structured Bible study so all classes study basically the same scripture in an age appropriate way.

#3 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

Life is about Jesus, not self

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,276 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:37 PM

I've been to many churches in Arkansas, never to one who does not have Sunday school for everyone.

And never heard of such a thing in my nearly 60 years on this earth.

Like Suzy, I'm :? !

#4 JerryNumbers

JerryNumbers

Life is about Jesus, not self

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,276 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:49 PM

15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Tim 2:15 (KJV)

20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

Matt 18:20 (KJV)

What can be unbiblical about Sunday School?

But of course I know its such a hardship for some people to give 2 whole hours on Sunday morning to such a worthwhile thing as Sunday School and preaching service. Sarcasm included on purpose.

#5 SisterHolly

SisterHolly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:20 PM

Oops, I voted the wrong one. I voted every week when I should have voted never. My church doesn't have Sunday School for adults but only for children and special needs adults.

#6 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,761 posts
Excellent

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Where do the adults go during kids sunday school?

#7 bibletotingunslinger

bibletotingunslinger

The Bible Totin Gun Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

I :clap: love Sunday School.

#8 JJJ4given

JJJ4given

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:08 PM

Nothing unbiblical about it. Actually the Bible encourages His church to gather together. If you read through the book of Acts they were meeting together practically every chance they could...

#9 kevinmiller

kevinmiller

Super Contributor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:43 PM

What do you guys think of Sunday School? Is it Biblical and do you always attend?

Kevin

#10 Psalms18_28

Psalms18_28

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,506 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2006 - 09:58 PM

I like bible school although right now we don't have one because lack of people attending to the church (it is new).

I like it because if I have a question, I will be allow to ask.

#11 hermanj

hermanj

Super Contributor

• Baptist Men
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2006 - 10:42 PM

Do you mean: Is it commanded in the Bible?

or

Does it break a principle from the Bible?

#12 Sophie

Sophie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2006 - 02:55 AM

Obviously, they did some things differently in the NT church than we do today. But they certainly took time for Bible Study and isn't that what Sunday School is?

#13 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,761 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

I think its the "modern day" way to get together as a group and study the Bible, which certainly is Biblical. Where God's Word is taught, we ought to be there.

#14 kevinmiller

kevinmiller

Super Contributor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:34 AM

I had heard that D.L Moody started it as a way to get boys off the streets on Sundays and I guess modern churches just kind of picked it up for their regular members.

#15 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,761 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:36 AM

If your (anyone in general) pastor wants to have Sunday School then I think members should attend. America today does not like the idea of having pastoral authority, and although a pastor should not manage the personal lives of his flock, he is in charge of the church and if the pastor is teaching the Bible, the members should gladly come.

#16 kevinmiller

kevinmiller

Super Contributor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 09:43 AM

Our pastor actually doesn't teach any of the S.S. classes. They are all taught by other pastors or church members.

#17 Sojourner

Sojourner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

Well, since I am the Sun. School Superintendant and Sr. High Boys teacher, I kinda feel led to be there every week.
Unfortunately, about a third of my class only stays for Sun. School, so it's the only exposure to God's Word that they get all week.

#18 kevinmiller

kevinmiller

Super Contributor

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,749 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

We have like 15 different Sunday School classes in our church from kids, to college and career to seniors. I went to the teen class for about a year when we first started back at our church after moving back to Maryland and then our family taught the 5 yr. old class until two years ago when we had to give it up.

I haven't really gone since then mostly because I'm socially challenged. :oops:

Kevin

#19 Evan57

Evan57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

That is a good question. I never thought of this question. Bible didn't say that church should have a sunday school. It is up to the pastor and deacons to decide with the Lord's guide. It is good for kids to learn in sunday school. I had a church back east has no sunday school. This church has a classes for kids while adult go to am service. It took average an hour the most.
This church has bible institute and courses for them to learn God's word more deeply and more benefit than what we have at our church today.
Our presently church has a sunday school then church morning services. It takes about three hours the most.
I remember one sunday few years ago, the preacher preached long caused one visitor and his wife left the church service that the preacher didn't finish his sermon. That was an embarrass.

I am sure most people prefer one hour church service and classes than staying in the church for three hours. It is depend on the pastor motivates people to make them involve the Lord's work and how the preacher preaches God's word with prayer. W/o prayer, the power of God is not there.

Evan57 :ears: w/o hear

#20 Kubel

Kubel

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 March 2007 - 12:38 AM

What do you guys think of Sunday School? Is it Biblical and do you always attend?

Kevin

I attend Sunday School every week if I can. Once in a great while I will sleep in if I'm too tired or sick. But that's not a sin.

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500