Photo

Best Bible

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 John81

John81

Running to Win

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2006 - 04:48 PM

I notice that Sword of the Lord is once again carrying the Thompson Chain Referrence Bible (KJV, of course). This reminded me that I have been considering buying a new Bible, a nice leather Bible, that will hopefully last me the rest of my days and that I can pass on to my children or grandchildren. All of the Bibles I have are between 15 and 30 years old and only one is what might be considered a "nice" Bible.

Anyway, I was hoping maybe we could come up with something like a "top three KJV Bibles" list or something to help me decide upon which particular Bible to invest in.

So, what Bible do you consider the "Best" and why; and do you use that Bible?

#2 LindaR

LindaR

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2006 - 05:25 PM

I notice that Sword of the Lord is once again carrying the Thompson Chain Referrence Bible (KJV, of course). This reminded me that I have been considering buying a new Bible, a nice leather Bible, that will hopefully last me the rest of my days and that I can pass on to my children or grandchildren. All of the Bibles I have are between 15 and 30 years old and only one is what might be considered a "nice" Bible.

Anyway, I was hoping maybe we could come up with something like a "top three KJV Bibles" list or something to help me decide upon which particular Bible to invest in.

As far as Study Bibles go, I LOVE my King James Study Bible (Thomas Nelson Publishers {unfortunately}). I use the "Open Bible" KJV at church and for just reading, I love The Defined King James Bible (Bible For Today). The Defined King James Bible is not Red Letter, nor does it have a concordance--but has LOTS of good information and the definitions of the archaic words.

#3 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:12 PM

I had a study Bible but I needed a larger print last time I just bought a regular KJV Bible. I have found that the notes in most Bibles are more of hinderance than a help. I do like the helps and maps in the back of my Thompson Chain Reference but I don't take them as gospel until I have checked them out.

#4 Pastorj

Pastorj

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,008 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2006 - 08:25 PM

I have a few. My favorite is no longer in print, but I now use a Thompson Chain. The best place to purchase Bibles is

http://www.scripturetruth.com

They seem to have the best prices I have found

#5 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

The best Bible is a well used one.

#6 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:30 PM

The best Bible is a well used one.

That's true Jerry, and I've got that, but I'm looking for a new Bible to become well used.

#7 lawson

lawson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:42 PM

I have a strongs reference Bible that I like. My favorite Bible is the big red sword Bible, but it is kind of large to take with me to church. It does not have any notes throughout the text but there is some good reading and maps in the back. It is one of the few that is truely KJ only and it defends the KJB text.

#8 grace2u

grace2u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:43 AM

I absolutely love my Thompson Chain....I find it such a valuable resource...and it isn't riddled with mans' commentary. My biggest problem with commentary bibles like Schofields is that it is too tempting to check the commentary to decide on the interpretation of verses...it's far better to ask the Holy Spirit...

Now, I'm not saying commentaries are bad...but you can get side tracked too quickly and add it to the daily bible reading which I feel is not a great way to do daily devotions...

#9 dwayner79

dwayner79

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,106 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2006 - 05:56 AM

So outside of the typical study bible, I like the Inductive Bible Study, but am unsure if there is a KJV edition. Does anyone have one, can link to it, etc.

#10 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 May 2006 - 11:53 AM

Are all of the newer Thompsons poor quality or only some of them? I've read some reviews on a couple sites where some folks say they loved the old Thompsons and bought a newer one but the newer ones had poor paper quality and the red letter print was poor quality.

#11 grace2u

grace2u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

John I think it depends on how much you want to spend and the binding...I think it's great that they have more affordable Thompsons.....They are very costly here....but you can choose a more expensive style.

#12 bibletotingunslinger

bibletotingunslinger

The Bible Totin Gun Slinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 May 2006 - 10:46 PM

Just some notes I thought I should write as I see the some things have changed.

The newest Thomas Nelson King James Study Bible is good. It boasts commentary by Conservative Baptist theologians, the cross refs are for the most part good.

The New Schofield Study Bible is no longer in print,
the errors were so great that it had to be upgraded.
They now have a Schofield III, supposed to be better.
The Old Schofield is still respected and in print.

The Thompson Chain is bogus, true it has a lot of great stuff but so many errors in the new Chain Ref.
terrible corrupted statements on pages 1585-1588.
Very sad that all the problems out weigh the great Archaeological Supplement,(My favorite page 1742 lower right hand paragraph Isaiah Scroll).
I am very saddened to see so much good work polluted with so many errors.

#13 Ron

Ron

This Is Not My User Title

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

I have an old Thompson Chain Reference Bible and an Original Scofield Bible. All Authorized King James Versions, of course. lol. I think both are very good study bibles. :cool:

#14 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2006 - 11:21 AM

The Thompsons chain reference and the King James Study Bible seem to be two of the tops here.

Could someone tell me more about the King James Study Bible? I'm not familiar with this one.

#15 LindaR

LindaR

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:46 PM

The Thompsons chain reference and the King James Study Bible seem to be two of the tops here.

Could someone tell me more about the King James Study Bible? I'm not familiar with this one.

I have a King James Study Bible and I really like it--however, like any study Bible, it has its drawbacks. One of those drawbacks is the publisher, Thomas Nelson, and some of the study notes reflect their ecumenical beliefs.

Some of the positive points which I like in this study Bible are:

1. Doctirinal footnotes--introduce you to a systematic study of the Bible's teachings.

2. Personality profiles-- describe key men and women of the Bible.

3. Archaeological sites-- focus on significant places mentioned in the Bible and archaeological findings related to them.

It has some other good features, such as in-text maps, red letter, concordance and a bunch of charts in the back--plus maps.

I guess you need to go to a Bible bookstore and ask to look at the King James Study Bible--it might be called the Nelson Study Bible--King James Version now.

#16 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2006 - 05:20 PM

We are running out of Bible stores around here. The only one left that I know of is about 30 miles away and inside a shopping mall! Of course, that means high prices and probably at least partially accounts for the reason they have a very, very tiny selection of KJV Bibles (with no variety that I've seen on the occasions I've looked there). They do have several modern versions but the KJV is limited to just a few on the shelf. The most I ever saw there was when they had a couple dozen of what looked like KJV pew Bibles in the bargain bin.

I mostly have to use the internet to try and find places to "see" Bibles now.

#17 LindaR

LindaR

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 May 2006 - 08:13 PM

I know what you mean, John. Sometimes you can find a bargain at a garage sale or even some of those dollar stores. There is also a KJV Bible site--I bought a KJV Key Word Bible from that site.

http://www.thekjvstore.com/

I think that's the site--still looking

#18 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 58,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:04 PM

Thanks Linda! I'll see where that link takes me.

#19 Mountainview

Mountainview

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 May 2006 - 02:39 PM

Hi Linda

Whats that KJV Key Word Study Bible Like? Is that King James Study Bible the one that has as it's general editors Ed Hindson and Woodrow Kroll?

#20 Brother Anthony

Brother Anthony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:57 AM

I like the Thompson Chain Reference. I have used it since I was a student at Maranatha Baptist Bible College. I bought my first one there, and use it still, though it's falling apart. My wife and I both are hoping to get new ones, and since we live right here in the area where the Sword is, we will probably buy ourselves new ones.

I used to use the Scofield, but they kept falling apart in certain areas, and I was buying a new one every two or three years. The binding process for them hasn't improved from what I've seen.

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500