Whats for Supper...

5,359 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Today I did tartiflette, a French cheese and potato bake,  I defrosted our freezer and noticed I had a Tartiflette cheese which has been in the freezer for over two years, so I thought I had better use it.  Following the instructions on the packet (a first for me) I boiled (I actually steamed) 1 Kg (2.2lbs) potatoes, peeled and sliced. Packet says boil them first and peel and slice them after.  Then brown them each side in a little oil.  Place in a baking tray and add lardons.  Cut the cheese in two horizontally and place on the potatoes crust side down.  Bake in an oven at 210C, thermostat 7 for 30 minutes or so till the cheese is melted and brown.  Recipe says serve with salad.

That is the recipe, but I found it a bit dry and here is how usually do it.

Slice or chop the potatoes and steam or boil them. I the meantime slice an onion and soften it in a pan with oil.  Put them in a bowl with the potatoes and ad two or three tablespoons of cream and some lardons (I use smoked Lardons.)  I use any soft cheese, Camembert, Coulomiers, soft  goats cheese etc.  I usually add some other grated cheese, 

Tartiflette is a soft French cheese of  500 grammes.  Lardons are small pieces of bacon. I usually use smoked lardons.  If you cannot get them in your store you can use bacon cut into small pieces.

Edited by Invicta
Sp

Posted

egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, followed later by a slice of peach pie

Posted

egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, followed later by a slice of peach pie

Not keen on English muffins, in fact I haven't seen them in the shops recently, but then I haven't looked,  Peach pie sounds nice.

Posted

Not keen on English muffins, in fact I haven't seen them in the shops recently, but then I haven't looked,  Peach pie sounds nice.

I usually don't care for English muffins plain, but toasted with egg, maybe some bacon or cheese, I like them.

The peach pie was very good. A lady at the church made several and gave one to my wife. Very nice of her and she's obviously very good at baking peach pie.

Posted

Not keen on American muffins either, though I can tolerate blueberry muffins.

Posted

Haddock and chips.

Posted

Too hot to cook. I made a small peanut butter sandwich with just a touch of honey and sliced banana. Afterward I had the last slice of peach pie from the fridge.

Posted

Fish stew and rice for lunch, yummy.

Rattatouille  and French bread  for supper.