Online Baptist
Flourgirl

Whats for Supper...

Today, I roasted chicken breasts atop red and yellow peppers, onions and garlic sliced thinly, au gratin potatos, and zuchinni.  I love the convection feature on my oven (we have both regular and convection as an option for our appliance) as it allows everything to get done more rapidly and it provides a nice crunchy, toasty top for the potatoes while still keeping the boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist internally.

12 hours ago, 4everHis said:

Today, I roasted chicken breasts atop red and yellow peppers, onions and garlic sliced thinly, au gratin potatos, and zuchinni.  I love the convection feature on my oven (we have both regular and convection as an option for our appliance) as it allows everything to get done more rapidly and it provides a nice crunchy, toasty top for the potatoes while still keeping the boneless, skinless chicken breasts moist internally.

Sounds good.  We have a fan oven in the kitchen which I like.

We don't have a dining room and use our conservatory as a dining room an use a combination microwave out there  for oven cooking as it is rather cold in this weather  and it saves having to use another heat source to warm the room up.

Tomorrow we are plannoing to go the France for the day and I expect the meal we would have will be called Repas de Noêl

Well we went to France. We booked it some time ago before the weather forecast was for storms today.  Ferry was over an hour late leaving in the morning and the sea was a bit rough.  Wasn't too bad while we were sitting down, but I found it difficult to walk without my stick and holing onto a had rail when there was one. Coming back it was well over an hour late but much calmer.  

I had my usual for that restaurant, Roast ham and a selection of vegetables.  The most tender ham I have tasted anywhere.  

While we were doing our shopping in the hypermarket, there were a lot of French students in pairs with questionaires for all the English they found.  "ow do you celebrate Christmas?"  My wife told them how we pronounce How, with an h, as the French don't pronounce the H in words.  

One of the questions was "What do you eat for Christmas?"  I can't remember what we said but I head another conversation and the man said "Yorkshire pudding"  I expect that got them confused.

My wife kept answering in French, but I said "You should answer in English" "I know she said but I have difficulty speaking to French people in English, the reason we come to France is that I can speak in French."  We were once in a restaurant and the waiter kept speaking to her in English and she said "Speak to me in French, if you want to speak to me in English come to England then I will speak to you in English."  I felt a bit sorry for him as I expect he wanted to practice his English as she did her French,

20 hours ago, 4everHis said:

What is "Repas de Noêl"?  Sounds interesting.

Noêl = Christmas

Repas = Meal, usually evening meal.  So Christmas Dinner,

Often  in small ads in papers there is HR, which took us a long time to work our what that stood for.  We eventually worked out it stood for Heures de Repas,  That is meal times.

Today I had bacon and grilled tomatoes with French bread.

I made a middle eastern nut roast for my wife today for lunch.  I did intend to have steak but forgot to get it out of the freeze, so we shared the veggie meal.  Had bread and cheese for supper.

The ferry that we travelled to France on, The Pride of Kent. on Thursday, ran aground today outside Calais in high winds, trapping 200 or  300 passengers, the news reports varied. I wonder if they gave them a free meal.  

20 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

Whoa! I'm glad you weren't aboard at the time! I hope nobody was hurt.

It was very rough on the journey out  but somewhat better on the way home.

Today I had fish'n'chips.

19 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

So did I! Although it was the American version. :1_grinning:

Mine was from our freezer, not so good as when we get it from the chippy.  It amazes me how the producers and supermarkets get away with selling 'Extra large portions' which are about ¼ the size of a regular portion in the Fish and Chip shop.  

3 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Mine was from our freezer, not so good as when we get it from the chippy.  It amazes me how the producers and supermarkets get away with selling 'Extra large portions' which are about ¼ the size of a regular portion in the Fish and Chip shop.  

We had our annual Christmas date - we go to dinner or lunch and then shop for whatever  presents we might still want to get. We went to a restaurant that is known for their "fish and chips"  (being here right on the ocean, seafood is a staple in just about every restaurant, and most restaurants around here have their own version of fish and chips). My grandparents began coming to this area to vacation and then moved here in the 1970s. We would come with them often. And that restaurant was one of our favorites. The fish is not as good as it was then, sadly, but the memories...

Tonight we'll have crock pot beef (steak, cooked like a roast).

On 14/12/2017 at 12:15 AM, HappyChristian said:

We had our annual Christmas date - we go to dinner or lunch and then shop for whatever  presents we might still want to get. We went to a restaurant that is known for their "fish and chips"  (being here right on the ocean, seafood is a staple in just about every restaurant, and most restaurants around here have their own version of fish and chips). My grandparents began coming to this area to vacation and then moved here in the 1970s. We would come with them often. And that restaurant was one of our favorites. The fish is not as good as it was then, sadly, but the memories...

Tonight we'll have crock pot beef (steak, cooked like a roast).

We live about 1 mile from the sea.  When we were children we used to wish we lived by the sea. When on outings we always looked to see who was first to see the sea.  Now we live near the sea, we rarely visit it.  We have a number of fish restaurants and those that are not usually have fish on the menu.  We have two fish markets in the harbour. One with a fish restaurant above it.  Our town is known for its oysters, and we have two oyster bars, one right on the  beach.

Makes me wonder why I got the frozen fish from the supermarket.  When we were children in the war we would get a portion of chips for 2d, about 2c, wrapped in the daily paper as there was a paper shortage during the war and soon after.  Now it costs us about £2 and they are not so good.  

Today I had lambs liver and bacon cooked in gravy, with roast potatoes, and parsnips with steamed carrot and sprouts.