Photo

"Sinner Saved By Grace!?!"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 ScottM

ScottM

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:16 AM

I've heard some people say that it's not Biblical, but I disagree. I am a sinner. We're all sinners. Even after we're saved, we still sin because we still live in the flesh.

The difference between us and a lost sinner is the fact that our sins have been forgiven and washed away by the blood of Jesus, and we are on our way to Heaven.

I'm glad to be a sinner saved by grace. :)

#2 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:23 AM

*EDIT: Verses changed to KJV version*

I don't think "saved by grace" occurs exactly like that in the Bible, but I was able to find these:

(Sorry, I use the NIV :roll: )

Ephesians 2:5
"Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved)"

Ephesians 2:8
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:"

2 Timothy 1:9
"Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,"

Romans 6:14
"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace."

#3 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:45 AM

Michael, not sure what you mean by the rolling eyes (hopefully not mocking our stand) - but you can easily quote (and even search) from the King James Bible by using the Bible Search feature at the top of these boards. It is our policy here that all quotes must be from the KJV. Thanks for understanding.

#4 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2005 - 01:55 AM

Okay, no problem.

Not mocking anyone at all - was just worried me being a NIV reader was a bad thing...

#5 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:36 AM

We don't agree with your choice - but we agree with your right to choose it.

By the way, welcome to the boards - didn't think of stating that in my earlier reply.

#6 michael

michael

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2005 - 02:53 AM

thanks Jerry.

Without wanting to get off topic (and because I "wanted to ask the question") I've created a seperate thread - http://onlinebaptist...ic.php?p=111815 - just curious to know more about "why KJV instead of NIV" (comments would be appreciated).

#7 God_is_good

God_is_good

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

I was told to post something. I thought and this was the best thing I had to keep ya'll busy. Do you think the quote "Sinner Saved By Grace" is a Biblically sound statement? I have my theory. It is probably a matter of opinion. I will give my answer later. I am in a hurry. We left Grandpa at home by himself. A big no no! :shock:

#8 nodnarb

nodnarb

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:49 PM

Yes. My opinion. First Every one is a sinner. and I believe in I Corinthians maybe it says that we are saved by grace and not of ourselves. Well that is not a direct quote by it is something like that I will try to look it up at school tomorrow if I have time in Bible class or study hall.

#9 God_is_good

God_is_good

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:09 PM

Do not kill me Brandon. I do not think it is a Biblically sound statement. In Phillipians (I can not remember the verse I will post it later) is talks abouts us being saved by grace, but not SINNER saved by grace. So basically you are degrading yourself. Yes we do sin but because we are able to be forgiven we are no longer a sinner but a saint (that sins) saved by grace. Probably a matter of opinion though. Chad and Bro.Carr agree

#10 hermanj

hermanj

Super Contributor

• Baptist Men
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,397 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:04 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with it Biblically. I believe that the sinner part mainly refers to before we were saved. However, I don't use it because I think it is an oversimplified statement that doesn't serve much purpose.

#11 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:05 AM

Praise God that i am a Sinner Saved by the Grace of God!!!

http://www.puritan-b...f/ ... y grace'

#12 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:14 AM

The Bible, at times, still refers to saved as sinners. Here is a prime example:

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

Paul still considered himself a sinner - otherwise he would have said "I was chief", not "I am chief", stating he still was.

There are other passages that also refer to the believer as a sinner - though there is a difference. God does not class us the same as the ungodly, ie. the "sinners" we were before we got saved. Being a saint does not mean we are no longer sinners - but that is not our prime identification in Christ. I think God will consider us as such until we no longer sin - when we are in Heaven.

#13 God_is_good

God_is_good

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:32 PM

1 Timothy 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. I think God will consider us as such until we no longer sin - when we are in Heaven.[/quote]
I do not have much time. Ye we were sinners but as I said earlier Christ died so we may be made saints. Which we are to strive not to in no more. Obvioly we do still in. We are human.
But Christ came to save the sinners and the lost. I got saved almost 2 year ago. So if Christ came to save sinners then He is still trying to save me? Anyways it is till probably a matter of opinion, I am at the Library and my Bible is in the car or I would show you the verses I used. Like you said Jerry Paul said I am the chiefest of sinners. Not Christ. I will ask Chad the verses he had on that. They were much better thatn mine. But after that I would like to be out of this disscuion. It could get ugly

#14 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2005 - 03:53 PM

Why would it get ugly? Post your reasonable response in a godly manner, and you won't have to worry about it.

Being a saint is not the opposite of being a sinner.

Saint means set apart (for God's use).

I became a saint the moment I repented of my sins and trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as my Saviour - though now I am to live up to my calling and be set apart from the world unto God in a practical day to day manner.

#15 God_is_good

God_is_good

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

sorry that is not what I meant about getting ugly it is an inside joke with my Bible class. " Bretheren we have met to worhip and adore the Lord our God will you pray with all......" :lol:

#16 saved4ever

saved4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2005 - 03:25 PM

Do not kill me Brandon. I do not think it is a Biblically sound statement. In Phillipians (I can not remember the verse I will post it later) is talks abouts us being saved by grace, but not SINNER saved by grace. So basically you are degrading yourself. Yes we do sin but because we are able to be forgiven we are no longer a sinner but a saint (that sins) saved by grace. Probably a matter of opinion though. Chad and Bro.Carr agree

So, are you trying to imply that we were never a sinner? Is that why we are no longer "sinners saved by grace?" Well, if we were not sinners, then Christ would not have had to die for us and we would never have needed a Saviour. We were indeed ALL sinners.

Another thing, we are STILL sinners even after salvation. You still sin. You still do wrong things, you still go against God's Bible on occasion. To say that after salvation you are perfect is simply not true. True, after salvation God does look at us and see His perfect Son, Jesus. However, we are STILL human beings and we can STILL sin after salvation. So, therefore I believe that the phrase "Sinner saved by grace" is indeed true.

Glad to be a Sinner Saved by His Grace!

- Billy

#17 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,431 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

i think he was just asking if the cliche' itself had a biblical reference?

#18 saved4ever

saved4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2005 - 09:06 PM

Perhaps, but I think she was talking about it being Biblically Sound. I may be wrong though...

#19 God_is_good

God_is_good

Super Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,798 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

I was asking if the phrase itself was in the Bible. I always thought it was but a few months ago it was brought to my attention that it was not. I have nothing against the term. I am a sinner saved by grace. I am sorry if it was took the wrong way I am a sinner and will be until I am in Heaven. But the term "Saved by grace" is not in the Bible. Sinner is, and saved by grace is (Eph2:8) but never together. I had always thought that if I looked hard enough I woud find i, but I never did. But after Bro.Carr and his brother-in-law brought it to my attention that it was not in there I began to look even harder and I did not find it either! Sorry if anyone took it the wrong way.

#20 nodnarb

nodnarb

Super Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:13 PM

You beat me here today. We were (me and Jessi) were talking about this in class today. Jessi I think that you are making a good point for the little information that you have on it. Yes, until you pointed it out I did not realize it was not in the Bible. Today in class she pointed out that she thinks that you guys were taking her question the wrong way that is the whole thing about it getting ugly which is a long story. I seriously think that she meant a Biblical term meaning coming from the Bible not is it a good statement to make.

"Brethren we have met to worship and adore the Lord our God"

Oh Jessi they fixed your mistake on the calander

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500