#1 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent
  • LocationPhilly 'burbs

Posted 23 August 2003 - 10:46 PM

I think that unfortunately, there is a Bible for EVERYONE out there nowadays...

#2 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 29 August 2003 - 06:41 PM

it may not be a thing that they are refusing but when you get into it is meaty. i think that discourages alot of people. i think that there are alot of people that think the only way that they will be able to understand the Bible is to use a currupt version. which you and i both know that it is not in our own understanding but the Holy Spirit is the one that gives understanding. they have not learned one of the most difficult steps in a christian walk and that is to totally trust the Lord. in His strength alone.

#3 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,591 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 August 2003 - 07:08 PM

i would have to say that alot of the alabama black brothers and sister's in Christ would be appalled by it.

I agree.

#4 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 29 August 2003 - 06:57 PM

no problem,Bro Matt. i knew that Jerry and Ben were just kidding :lol:

i would have to say that alot of the alabama black brothers and sister's in Christ would be appalled by it.

#5 grace2u

grace2u

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2003 - 10:44 PM

Quote by myself in other thread, earlier tonight......."Posted: Today at 8:43 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How awful the scriptures would sound with our modern english and oh forbid that someone should decide to produce a slang language bible to appeal to the gangstas......

..... :? well...what dya know :? Nothing is too far fetched .... :cool: :roll:

#6 mainstays

mainstays

Super Contributor

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:07 PM

All I can say is...... :?

But a question...what is ebonics?

Ebonics is "black english"

"The voice of Black America, has been variously labeled Black English, Black Dialect, Black Idiom, African American Vernacular English or recently Ebonics
Black Dialect is an Africanized form of English reflecting Black Americans linguistic-cultural ties to their African Heritage.

While the English dialect chosen as the standard in this country is no more highly structured, well formed, or grammatical than any of the other dialect.

Important to note that all languages change over time and Black English is no different.

Must caution against making an assumption that all Blacks use all these patterns all the time (or even use any)" Joycelyn Landrum-Brown, Ph.D.

#7 abtrenholm

abtrenholm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 August 2003 - 09:03 PM

No comment needed for sure! :frog

But a question...what is ebonics?

#8 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,591 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 August 2003 - 06:48 PM

Did you get that from an article or something? Or do you actually have one of these Bibles? I read an article on this Bible several years ago but have never seen one in a Christian bookstore.

I don't have one of these bibles nor do I want one. I have just been collecting information through the years on the Ebonics Bible. Where I live Ebonics is quite strong and used often. I have yet to see one use the Ebonics Bible, but if I do I can say that I have read part of their Bible and strongly disagree with it.

Higher Ground
I'm sorry that I didnā??t edit out some of the words in this Bible as maybe that was bad judgment on my part, but I do believe that if any of us come across someone using this Bible we can take them to passages in their Bible now and show them how crazy their Bible is. I do believe that by leaving those words in that we did get the full effect of the translation.

We must remember that Ebonics is a language. Some words that they use are not swear words in there language but rather have a different meaning. In fact I heard that in some cities they are trying to make Ebonics an official language.

#9 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,290 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNow living in BC's lower rainland, er, mainland.

Posted 29 August 2003 - 05:13 PM

I think that if people are really searching for truth, the Holy Spirit will guide them. But many people would rather have a version that is popular with the majority than one that is controversial (like the KJV). Too many professing Christians refuse to look into the issue - they just keep whatever version they grew up with, whatever one their family reads, or the first one they were given, regardless of what it was.

#10 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 29 August 2003 - 04:16 PM

i see what you are saying.
it is just so repulsive. how could people actually believe that is a translation? it just boggles my mind. or is the Holy Spirit not working there?

#11 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2003 - 04:03 PM

why should someone have to warn christians of a translation that has explicit language and the like in it. the Holy Spirit will throw up a red flag right from the onset.
i learned a long time ago you don't have to know what is wrong to identify what is wrong.
all you have to know is what is what is right to identify what is wrong.

I agree in theory with your statement, but practicality-wise we find this is just not so. I don't know how many professing Christians I know who run after these new Bible versions - whether they be the NIV, The Message, The Living Bible or the New Living Translation, etc. They are all bad - they just differ in the manner of corruption. Some it is swear words, some it is jargon, but all have doctrinal corruption.

#12 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 29 August 2003 - 03:43 PM

why should someone have to warn christians of a translation that has explicit language and the like in it. the Holy Spirit will throw up a red flag right from the onset.
i learned a long time ago you don't have to know what is wrong to identify what is wrong.
all you have to know is what is what is right to identify what is wrong.

#13 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent
  • LocationPhilly 'burbs

Posted 29 August 2003 - 02:34 PM

I think it is appropriate in a Bible forum to warn people against Bible "perversions"..... we need to know what is out there and what to guard against.

#14 Jerry

Jerry

Mr. Grizzly

• 10,290 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 August 2003 - 01:21 PM

the language is not suitable for a bible forum. :shock:

This type of language isn't suitable anywhere, but it is necessary to expose it and to show other Christians what is wrong with modern Bible versions. I believe each new one coming out is a little worse than those before them.

Besides, this isn't the first Bible with swear words! Go look up the following verses in the Good News Bible and Living bible:

Acts 8:20 in the Good News Bible - But Peter answered him, "May you and your money go to hell..."

1 Samuel 20:30 in the New Living Translation - Saul boiled with rage at Jonathan. "You stupid son of a whore!..." Look it up in the Living Bible; it uses the term for a female dog!

#15 abtrenholm

abtrenholm

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:56 PM

I don't have a problem with Brother Matt posting this. Sometimes we all need a wake up call as to what Satan is doing to God's Word. :!:

#16 lettheredeemedsayso

lettheredeemedsayso

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,439 posts
Good

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:43 PM

Amen! and Amen! chickenmom

Bro. Matt, i was shocked that you posted this here. the language is not suitable for a bible forum. :shock:

#17 deputydog530

deputydog530

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 August 2003 - 12:03 PM

All I can say is :bonk: :freak: :freak: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :shock:

:mad: :? :frog :frog :barfy:

#18 BroMatt

BroMatt

Big Stick Wielder

• Administrators
  • 7,591 posts
Excellent
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:00 PM

Here is the 10 commandments from the Ebonics Bible:

1) I am the Almighty, your God, who brought you outta Egypt when things were tough." And then He told them: "Don't put anyone else before Me.
2) Don't make any carved objects or things that look like what is in heaven or below. And don't bow down to these things like they are anything heavy. Not ever!
3) You shouldn't diss the Almighty's name, using it in cuss words or rapping with one another. It ain't cool and payback's a monster.
4)"Remember the day of the Almighty which is the seventh day. After you've worked six days, give the seventh to the Almighty." (Remember that the Almighty made the heavens and the earth in six days. He rested on the seventh day and blessed it as right-on.)
5) "You shouldn't be takin' nothin' from your homeboys.
6) "Give honor to your mom and dad, and you'll live a long time.
7) "Don't waste nobody.
8) "Don't mess around with someone else's ol' man or ol' lady.
9) "Don't go 'round telling lies on your homebuddies.
10) "Don't want what you can't have, or what your homebuddy has. It ain't cool."

#19 Kitagrl

Kitagrl

Long Time Member

• Moderators
  • 15,846 posts
Excellent
  • LocationPhilly 'burbs

Posted 24 August 2003 - 12:10 PM

Did you get that from an article or something? Or do you actually have one of these Bibles? I read an article on this Bible several years ago but have never seen one in a Christian bookstore.

Hey maybe some of us could get together and work on a new Bible...maybe like a southern one or a New England one. Or how about toddler language???? (You know, if Genesis 1:1 said "In 'ginning God cated Heaven ah Eartt" the kids would have higher self esteem because they could say it perfectly!!!) May as well get in on this money making racket while we can....

NOT!!!!! Sick...... :frog How dare people do that stuff and call it "God's Word"!!!!

#20 mainstays

mainstays

Super Contributor

• Tools for the Ministry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 August 2003 - 02:35 PM

Last night when I did a search on what exactly "Ebonics" is I came across this.....

The Lord's Prayer in Ebonics.....

Big Daddy`s Rap

Yo, Bid Daddy upstairs
You be chillin
So be yo hood
You be sayin` it, I be doin` it
In this here hood and yo`s
Gimme some eats
And cut me some slack, Blood
Sos I be doin` it to dem dat diss me
Don`t be pushing me into no jive
And keep dem Crips away
`Cause you always be da Man

Aaa-men

I also found a website where a Technical Slang Version is in the process of being wrote..... interesting :(

http://www.rdrop.com...y/html/tsv.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500