holster

[] - - - - - - []

• *Independent Fundamental Baptist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Just wanted to encourage everyone to read through the Reese Chronological Bible at last once. The dating is not "perfect" and many times it is a "best guess" as to the date, but it sure adds to your Bible Study. - Read all four Gospels placed in chronological order, read the happenings of the Northern and Southern Kingdoms in parallel, read the Psalms placed in the narrative at the time they were written, etc.

#2 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

Ephesians 1:13,14

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:31 PM

I have it too and I would highly recommend it. I would also recommend Reese's Encyclopedia of Christian Biographies.

#3 John81

John81

Running to Win

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,457 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:36 PM

I'm glad you posted this. I've often wondered about reading a chronological Bible but I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

Any thing else to say about the Reese Chronological Bible? Why is this one better than whatever else might be out there (I'm not sure what is available with regards to chronological bibles).

#4 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

I'm glad you posted this. I've often wondered about reading a chronological Bible but I've never had the opportunity to try one out.

Any thing else to say about the Reese Chronological Bible? Why is this one better than whatever else might be out there (I'm not sure what is available with regards to chronological bibles).

It's the only Bible that attempst this. You can get other material that attempts to put things in Chronological order but not a Bible you can just sit down and read.

Also, Reese seems pretty solid doctrinally. I believe he teaches at Crown College in TN.

#5 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 61,457 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:54 PM

Thank you! I know that's the only one I knew the name of but didn't know if there were others out there or not.

I might consider getting one of these later this year.

I read through the Bible every year, plus additional Bible reading, and I try to change up my reading somewhat each year. Maybe reading through the Reese Chronological Bible next year might be a good idea.

#6 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

I met Mr. Reese at a Bible Conference once. He described for me how they obtained their original "manuscript."

He and his wife bought a bible and then cut it up and laid it out (pasted it) into what is now the order as published. This of course took years.

#7 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 61,457 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Wow! That would be a lot of work!

#8 "I am chief"

"I am chief"

1 Tim. 1:15

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,426 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

I have someone in mind for a chronological Bible as a gift. They expressed to me that they have to have "things" in order to receive any enjoyment or understanding from reading. So, maybe this is the one. I'll check the prices on-line. Thanks!

#9 trc123

trc123

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:51 AM

I have a serious question here, doesn't changing the order of the scriptures violate it's integrity and therefore substantially change the very Word of God itself? It would seem to me that any person holding to KJVO position would have to repudiate doing this to the Bible in order to be consistent with their reasoning for being KJVO.

#10 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:12 AM

I don't think your premise holds water. You can take the present KJV Bible and read it in any order you choose. In fact, few people read the Bible through from Genesis to Revelation.

Believe me, I am a KJB man! No ifs, ands, or buts, about it. I see no harm in laying out the Scriptures in chronological order to further your study.

Use the Reese Bible the same way you would use a concordance, dictionary, or encyclopedia. But it should not be used as your main study Bible. (That would be impractical anyway the way it's laid out.)

#11 "I am chief"

"I am chief"

1 Tim. 1:15

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,426 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:18 AM

The order was previously decided by men, the words were decided by God. No, it doesn't effect my use of the KJV as my only Bible.

P.S. I just purchased the Reese Chronological Bible on line.

#12 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:19 AM

trc123... Let me add this. You are right in some respects. With a chronological Bible things like Progressive Revelation and other Bible study methods are harmed. I guess it's just that I see the Reese Bible as a reference work and not a Bible. The standard Bible should always be used as the Bible and nothing else.

Thanks for standing for the KJB!

#13 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

The order was previously decided by men, the words were decided by God. No, it doesn't effect my use of the KJV as my only Bible.

P.S. I just purchased the Reese Chronological Bible on line.

The order of the BOOKS was decided by men but the "order" within each book itself was given by God. trc123 is right in this respect.

Enjoy your Reese Bible! Use it as intended (a reference tool and not a Bible) and you'll LOVE it!

#14 Revelation3:20

Revelation3:20

• PipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

I don't personally like it because I am familiar with how the bible is laid out and I find what they believe to be the Chronological ordering confusing and hard to work with because of that. Useing it as a study aid as holster recommends would be fine if you think such a thing would be helpful to you.

#15 trc123

trc123

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

If this exception can be made to the KJVO position (changing the order of verses for study only), then the person who simply looks at a more recent Bible translation as a commentary; but holds that the KJV is the only inspired and inerrant Word of God for English speaking people has the same legitimate claim of why they use a modern translation and that person should not be put down by those holding that the chronological bible is okay as a study Bible.

#16 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

If this exception can be made to the KJVO position (changing the order of verses for study only), then the person who simply looks at a more recent Bible translation as a commentary; but holds that the KJV is the only inspired and inerrant Word of God for English speaking people has the same legitimate claim of why they use a modern translation and that person should not be put down by those holding that the chronological bible is okay as a study Bible.

trc123... do you ever do a subject study where you jump from verse to verse all around your Bible? If so then you are doing the same thing... reading the Bible out of order. Are you not?

And again... I highly respect your love of the KJB. But personally, I don't think reading the Bible chronologically is doing any harm to the inspired and infallible text. I do not think there is any inspired order to read the text.

#17 trc123

trc123

Super Contributor

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 04:50 PM

If context is one of the principle's of rightly dividing the word of truth, and if verse order matters for context then any rearranging of the verse order is equivalent to making changes and modifying things in a similar manner as some changes made in some of the modern translations.

I'm not trying to be a nudge and I respect your opinion (along many others here) very much. Also, my next statement is not meant for you holster as I don't believe you do this.......but, I find it hypocritical for a person holding to KJVO but makes an exception when it suits their preference (chronological bible) and then bashes and reprimands others who read other versions as a study aid for comparison and yet believe the KJV is the inspired verbal plenary Word of God. It just doesn't seem consistent and like I said, it seems hypocritical to me.

#18 John81

John81

Running to Win

• 61,457 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:18 PM

However one chooses to study the KJB, they are still studying the KJB. That's far different than using a MV which contains many differences and omissions.

No one here has stated a chronological Bible should be used as their regular KJB or as a replacement for their regular KJB. The use of the chronological Bible would be as a study aid.

#19 holster

holster

[] - - - - - - []

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
Good
  • LocationSW Colorado

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:54 PM

If context is one of the principle's of rightly dividing the word of truth, and if verse order matters for context then any rearranging of the verse order is equivalent to making changes and modifying things in a similar manner as some changes made in some of the modern translations.

I'm not trying to be a nudge and I respect your opinion (along many others here) very much. Also, my next statement is not meant for you holster as I don't believe you do this.......but, I find it hypocritical for a person holding to KJVO but makes an exception when it suits their preference (chronological bible) and then bashes and reprimands others who read other versions as a study aid for comparison and yet believe the KJV is the inspired verbal plenary Word of God. It just doesn't seem consistent and like I said, it seems hypocritical to me.

I submit to you that using the Reese Chronological Bible to attempt any study in "context" would be impossible. The only thing the Reese could possibly be used for would be a chronological study. Any other study would simply be impossible using the Reese. I'm thinking maybe you haven't seen one, else you'd realize it couldn't be used reasonably for any other purpose.

Also... as said... I too, respect your views. We may disagree in some area's but we need to hold fast to our BIBLE. By the way... I don't get to that place where I bash or reprimand for ANY reason and on ANY topic. I prefer to use tact and wisdom from God.

For example, if someone is carrying an NIV I sometimes plan an "innocent" discussion showing someone this "neat" thing I have found in Acts Chapter 8. I launch into a discussion on Philip and the eunuch excitedly sharing what God has "showed" me about the incident. I then say "And verse 37 is incredible!, Read it." When they try to read it in their NIV it's not there. Then AT THEIR REQUEST I can explain the problem with all modern versions.

God has to convict the person on this (KJV) subject... I can't do anything myself. No amount of hostility to a non-KJV person will do any good.

#20 Wilchbla

Wilchbla

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

I personally believe the order of the books, chapters and verses in the KJV are the way God wants them for a reason, which I won't get into here. At the same time, I see nothing wrong with seeking to read it in chronological order. I view it almost as a historical study of the scriptures as I read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The Fundamental Top 500IFB1000 The Fundamental Top 500